Official Must Have Windows Store Apps (x86, RT)

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
re: Official Must Have Apps (x86, RT)

More Apps:

Open Table - free - restaurant locator and booking app, it's an OK app, feels and looks like a port and is pretty limited in Canada, but it's another highly popular app on the double A's that's now on RT

Text Now - free - messaging service app with the difference from others is that they don't need to have this app for the messages to be sent, great app!

DocuSign Ink - free - use this app all the time, saves printing, faxing, scanning, awesome app!

Network Speedtest - free - official MS app, does what it's supposed to. Use it if you're curious about your network

Sent from our Surface RT

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

OK, let's talk apps:

HALO Spartan Assault - $6.99 - the obvious choice and for good reason, awesome game and butter smooth on our RT.

Vimeo RT - FREE - light years ahead of the 'official' Vimeo app (aren't most 3rd party apps written by fans?) and constantly updated, this is a great app. U.S. region only so change your preferences. Why it's not released everywhere is not a smart move by the dev.

Duck Duck Go - FREE - is anyone really still using the spyware they call search engines nowadays? Best search engine out there with absolutely no tracking. Protects your privacy and no search bubbles.

The Onion - FREE - News parody at it's best . Love to laugh? You'll love this app.

Sent from our Surface RT

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

More app goodness:

Newseen - Free - How would you like to keep up with you twitter feed and your favourite blogs at the same time? I've passed by this app a few times and finally got around to trying it out. Cool and original concept that's lightning quick and now makes me wonder why I wasn't using it before.

Lucky YouTube - Free - Look out Hyper and MetroTube, there's a new kid on the block and he's very, very good. I think it's going to come down to aesthetics with the three mentioned apps. My choice is Hyper but you can't lose with any of them. Quite honestly, all three blow away 'official' YouTube apps on the double A's.

Sticker Tales - Freemium - My daughter is getting closer and closer to three years old and she adores this app. Click, re-size and pin farm stickers to create your own farm. Apparently my daughter believes that little baby chickens should be about 60ft tall...go figure? You can pay in-app for more themes like, 'undersea adventure,' and 'unicorns,' etc., but you don't need to. I did by a theme to support the dev as my wife and I think it's a decent learning and creative expression tool for kids, and hey, $2 to keep a 3yr old entertained? Priceless.

The Chess Lv.100 - Free - Idiotic name, amazing chess game. Best looking, best playing, best balanced, best a.i. chess game I have played in a long, long, long time. Supports Human vs. human on the same device, my Surface is now a portable chess board, eh?

Sent from our Surface RT

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

More.

1. If you use Torrex (torrent downloading client), then consider Torrent Lookup to search for magnet links that will automatically launch Torrex.

2. Manga Pro+ - if you're into that.

3. Shared Whiteboard - a really nice productivity app, albeit more suitable for Surface Pro users

4. Collabor8r for SkyDrive - another productivity app, good if you work as part of a team and need to share a whole plethora of files from audio, video, pictures, docs, etc.

5. Windows Phone Store - Awesome if you are a WP user - let's you search apps and send them straight to your phone.

Leahtt

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm thinking of buyimg a Surface rt but need to know if there are apps for ftp and also photo resizing coming. I see there are coding apps for writing html and css already. Have looked on the Apps site but wish they had dates so we could see how many new apps are appearing. I use Photoshop touch and Textastic on the iPad and they are wonderful. Wish they were on the Windows Apps site.
Thanks

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

Looking for recommendations on good apps for my 3 year old son to use. I made note of a couple that other's posted about and I already have Fresh Paint. I need some other options though.

Thanks

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Hey there icthusman1,

Sorry about the late reply, we've been on holidays...it is that time of year.

Anyway, my daughter just turned three and here's what she likes:

Sticker Tales
Alphabets Writing
Shuffle Party
Gravilux
Star Chart
Kids' Orchestra
GuruCool PlaySchool
Kids Play and Learn
My Pet Piano
Junior Academy

That should get you started :)

Sent from our Surface RT

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Ok, here we go again......

Crayonslaught - FREE - crayonslaught has the simplest controls possible for a touch device and is completely addictive. Funny how the simplest games are the most fun, eh?

Fling Theory - FREE - missed this one completely. Awesome little puzzler with a very unique concept. A well put together professional app.

Word Brush - FREE - love this app. Draw text freely on the screen with your finger over pics, docs, wallpaper, anything really. Awesome little app, try it out!

Instructables - FREE - Ever wonder how to make a concrete camera? How about the perfect T-bone? We're starting to really like this DIY app that has just about everything you could imagine.

Asphalt 7 Heat - $1.99 - you didn't think I'd forget this one, did you? Runs butter smooth on our Surface RT, I thought it might run choppy or laggy, but Gameloft did a great job optimizing this for Surface. Great job, guys! Looking forward to Asphalt 8!

Sent from our Surface RT

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I'm thinking of buyimg a Surface rt but need to know if there are apps for ftp and also photo resizing coming. I see there are coding apps for writing html and css already. Have looked on the Apps site but wish they had dates so we could see how many new apps are appearing. I use Photoshop touch and Textastic on the iPad and they are wonderful. Wish they were on the Windows Apps site.
Thanks

Technically speaking you can resize photos with Microsoft Paint, although several photo editing apps will do that as well.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Hi, is there any other official TV channel app like CBS, FOX, TBS, SYFY, CW, etc?

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Hi, is there any other official TV channel app like CBS, FOX, TBS, SYFY, CW, etc?

Hey there,

ABC is there, NBC FOX and the like all have news apps...not sure about TV, but really, with the likes of Hulu, Hulu+, NetFlix, Vimeo, Vevo, Metrotube, I think you're pretty much covered. Also, everyone forgets about the ability to pin to start. Maybe it's because the browsing experience on the ipad and various android devices is terrible. Go to the TV site you want (we're in Canada, so we use CBC the most), and pin to start, it's that simple and no need for an app.

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

More apps for your viewing and using pleasure,

7Tutorials - FREE - need to know anything about Win8? How about your Windows phone? Hands down the best tutorial and tips & tricks site on the net. A very well designed and professional app to boot. From novice to expert, you'll find something you never thought of, we guarantee it.

Liberty Book Reader - FREE - great epub reader that can handle anything including free epubs from DropBox! Change fonts, sizing, night mode, it's own nice little bookshelf and the animations and navigation of this app are fantastic. Well supported by the devs with constant updates based on user feedback.

Skitch Touch - FREE - crazy good app. My personal favourite use for this app? Pixelating bills or documents before I send them. This app has too many uses to list, try it out!

Forismatic - FREE - some of the best apps for the MicroSurf are indeed the simplest ones. Beautifully designed, simple and clean, this is indeed the best 'quotes' app in the marketplace. Screensaver, snap-to, digital photo frame? The choice is yours.

Wizard's Choice - Freemium - is anyone else, like me, old enough to remember 'choose your own adventure books?' A very well written, engaging story awaits, give it a whirl! First episode is free, the rest will cost you a tiny bit. Great app and highly recommended.

Have fun downloading!

Sent from our Surface RT

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

For those in the UK, TVCatchup is a brilliant app for live streaming of all 'freeview' channels.

I saw tunein radio mentioned earlier in the thread - I'm a fan of this on the ipad, but the win8/RT version just does not work properly/consistently.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Hi, is there any web browser app available in Windows Store for RT? I wish to have web browser app that supports ad-blocking function, I really hate ADs in webpages......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo