In depth review of the XPS 10

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't bother with windows RT, its a D**n shame that this comes with RT because I love the design. They really should have stuck an atom in there instead, I totally would have bought this over My HP envy x2, which I'm very pleased with btw, but I find dell's keyboards and build quality are usually a little better than HP's

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay you're right. I do rail against RT a little hard. However, I did take a peek at my work's computer system and we are getting the dell XPS 10 in stock so I can tell you what I think about the hardware when it comes in the store, in about a weeks time. It does look like a nice piece of hardware.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
My boss just gave me a 32GB Surface RT w/type cover for meeting a goal. So far, my experience with RT is pretty positive. I could see myself happy with it in the long rub as an OS, especially since I can set up Server 2012 for free on my ProBook. Hardware wise, I'm looking forward to your thoughts. The Surface is great as a tablet, but not so much a laptop. I think the XPS keyboard could be good, and I gather the Qualcomm is better than the current Tegra.

I don't know how well the new Atom does, but I love the AMD alternative. The C-60 on my wife's netbook is pretty peppy, and it seems the AMD hardware supports more RAM than the Intrl, not to mention a better GPU. The Vizio tablet (AMD Z-70) is full 1080...

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Just for the record, I have 0 issues with RT in terms of its OS seeing as its identical to windows 8 (for the most part). Its just with the atoms, they are the same price is the only reason I recommend people getting them. Once windows RT gets tablets in the price range of around 300$ I think it will be worth it, like when acer apparently said they are in talks with Microsoft for a 7" RT tablet. (It'll have to be around 200$ if it wants to do well though, 250$ would work too but no higher than 300). The issue is when the atoms cost the same amount and get like an hour less battery life,so I recommend people going with them.

In any case, I would wait for the vizio tablet just because of the fact that their ultrabooks seemed OK, but other brands seemed like they were better for the price. I am a huge AMD fan, but as of late, they haven't been able to get their TDP down to the level of intel, I think I read that the atoms get like 1.2 W TDP and the Z series is supposed to be around 4. If they can get this down, then yes, I would love to do some gaming on a tablet seeing as the atoms GPUS are pretty awful, I mean they do 1080p video just fine and that's about it. Yes, the amd processors do support more RAM seeing as the atoms are only 32 bit processors, but on these tablets, that won't matter for a couple of years just because windows 8 is so good with memory management anyways. Mine runs snappy on 2 gb ram. That being said, I always want AMD to do well because if they don't intel is once again an x86 monopoly and you know how that goes, they will stifle innovation and cost more. Good thing ARM is hot on intel's heels because while Intel can pretty much ignore AMD, ARM poses a serious threat for both of them. I heard rumors of AMD that they may make an ARM/x86 hybrid processor that could switch to ARM for battery and x86 for power. That would be awesome.

And for the Dell, you are right, the Qualcomm Snapdragons run circles around the Tegra 3s, I still don't know why MS chose the tegras for the surface as It probably would run better on a snapdragon. Mainly because the tegra 3's are last gen ARM CPUs. I really like the surface tablet, the build quality is immaculate: one of the best devices I've ever seen. I'm still not a fan of the covers though. If I bought a surface I would go with the touch cover because its seems good for a touch keyboard. I wasn't impressed with the type cover because it felt quite flimsy. I feel they should have made that out of magnesium as well. Also they key stroke and length were lousy IMHO.

So back to the dell: I would imagine their keyboard dock is probably one of the best seeing as their keyboards are fantastic on their XPS models (not so much on their inspiron line though). Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I think at 599$ for 64GB without a dock is definitely asking for too much though, so unless they go on sale, they probably won't sell much. Otherwise it does look like a nice product. I've been liking dell hardware designs a lot in the past 2 years.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So I got to play with it at work yesterday and I gotta say, I was not impressed. I will say on the plus side that the QUALCOMM snapdragon S4 quad core runs circles around the tegra 3 and was noticeably faster than the asus vivotab and the surface RT. On the other side, I though the build quality was quite plasticky and cheap feeling. The acer iconia w510 is plastic, but it doesn't feel cheap, the xps 10 did in my opinion. Also I think the screen was plastic, they didn't mention it being glass or gorilla glass, so I think it was a plastic screen. The body didn't feel to terribly stable either. The screen was good looking and I haven't seen the keyboard dock but I bet, knowing its dell, that ist quite good, but I would rather buy a surface, it seems like a much more premium feeling machine for the price, with the exception of it not having a snapdragon, which the tegra 3 does handle reasonably well, but with the colorful touch cover and type cover options, I would rather buy a surface over this for around the same price.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have an XPS 10, and I like it. Yes it doesn't feel as solid as the surface, but it feels more sturdy than the vivotab I held. And its pretty quick, only real lag I've noticed was in jetpack joyride. Still messing around with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss