Any W700 hands on experience?

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't own one but I do sell computers so I have used it first hand and its one of my favorite tablets to recommend. It has a great solid aluminum build quality, fantastic 1080p screen, and a decent 6 hour battery life as most reviews claim. My only gripe is the dock is a little chintzy, cheap feeling and so is the Bluetooth keyboard, but the case that it comes with is nice. Its also nice that it has a usb 3.0 port on it as well. My major issue with it and why I didn't get it is because its an i3, there's nothing wrong with the core series except for the fact that they don't get good battery life, I mean this is one of the core tablets with a longer battery life, most of them get around 5 hours. I personally bought a tablet with an atom and mine gets around 8 hours and is thin and light with no fan. The i3/i5/i7 tablets need fans so I feel that they are rather big and bulky, this one being the case. Its not hugely heavy or anything but I'm retty sure its a good 2.5-3 lbs and feels significantly heavier than say, an ipad.

ieuser

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the Acer Iconia W700 and the Surface RT. I plan to pick up the Surface Pro. Here's my quick take on the W700:

+ Battery Life is good. It lasts all evening after I get home from work.
+ The W700 is fast. It scores as fast as comparable ultrabooks, minus the 3d graphics performance of course
+ Comes with a nice flip case
+ Best intel based, 11.6" windows 8 tablet currently available (the ATIV Smart PC has quality issues so I returned it, plus it's mad expensive)

- I think all first gen Windows 8 Tablets need a keyboard and mouse (dock or touch cover) due to the lack of touch friendly apps
- The included keyboard doesn't include a trackpad. You will need to buy a mouse.
- Out of the box WiFi issues
- No stylus pen
- No SD slot
- You may find the W700 a little heavy

Last edited:

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that! I ordered my W700-6691 last night, and I'll be posting here and in my Acer W700 thread in the correct forum!

Does the Acer still respond to stylus pen input the way a Surface tablet would?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
After reading the many (new) Surface Pro reviews, and seeing the battery life estimates consistent across the board, I'm leaning more towards the w700.

ieuser

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
After reading the many (new) Surface Pro reviews, and seeing the battery life estimates consistent across the board, I'm leaning more towards the w700.

Wow. At less than 4 hours, the battery life on the pro is a show stopper for sure. Ouch.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft Surface Pro review
Microsoft Surface Pro review | The Verge
Microsoft Surface Pro Review: Too Much Future?

I think the best options right now is a new Acer W700 or a used Acer W700 (if you don't have the money for a new one). :)

Yeah I think I agree about the w700 being the best choice. I wish I knew when/if the updated model they showed off at CES was coming out. I'm not a big fan of waiting for the next better model, but if it's just a month or two, in this case it might be worth it.

Shredcow

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I own a W700 - the model with an i5 processor and 64gb of memory. For my purposes, 64gb is quite comfortable since I don't install stuff like Photoshop and I save my photos to the cloud (dropbox, skydrive).

The battery life is very good and the thing comparable to a full fledged PC.

The screen is good but 1080p resolution is tiny! Good thing there's the micro hdmi out...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster