Surface RT vs. Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 11

Goliemoi

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have been considering purchasing a Windows RT device as a replacement for my aging windows 7 laptop. I am especially interested in an RT device because of their portability, simplistic nature, and above all, price. A windows RT device is also optimal for me because I only do a number of things on my laptop, such as browsing, Microsoft Office work, and using a number of light desktop applications that could be easily replaced with applications from the windows 8 store. Therefore, I don't think it makes much sense for me to bother purchasing a high power laptop running the full version of Windows 8. I should also mention that I am a student. I have narrowed hunt down to two Windows RT devices: The Microsoft Surface, and the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 11.

I like the Surface because of its beautiful industrial design, decent display, touch covers, and all the extra touches that Microsoft put into the device to make it special and unique. However, my greatest concern is typing on the touch cover; specifically, I worry that typing on my lap will be a painful process. 95% of my work on my Laptop is done with it in my lap while sitting on the couch, rather then having it rested on a table. Therefore, if the device does not sit well in my lap, it is significantly less valuable to me.

Before you mention the Ideapad Yoga's price, you should know that I have family connections to Lenovo, which allows me to get the Yoga for the same price as the Microsoft Surface. I especially like the Yoga because of its interesting form factor, which greatly appeals to me. I also like that I can use it as a regular Laptop or a tablet. Lenovo also has a history of great keyboards and solid build quality. What I don't like about the Yoga is its heavier and thicker build; not a deal breaker, but certainly a little more annoying. I also don't know much about the Yoga 11, but worry about what I have heard about the Yoga 13.

What I need is just a little information from people who have had experiences with both devices. How does the Surface touch cover type in your lap, are there any additional problems with either devices that I should know about? And are there any other RT devices that I may have overlooked? Thank you in advance.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I would tell you, like all people to jump ship and abandon RT. Why would you want a limited OS when you can get a tablet running an atom for the same price? The Surface is a beautifully built machine and I really like the yoga's hardware design, but 799$ for a windows RT computer is laughable. I bought the HP envy x2 and love it. If you want a premium device with a decent keyboard, nice all-aluminum design and full windows 8, I recommend the HP envy x2. Also the Acer Iconia w510 is a great tablet for 599$ you get 64Gb running windows 8 and ASUS has the vivotab smart for 499$ with 64 Gb and an atom and I think they have the weird keyboard/cover thing that the surface has as well. If you REALLY wanted a surface I would say its not a bad choice but the yoga is. But I'll say it again, why limit yourself with RT when you can buy windows 8. Samsung and Acer are already not doing RT anymore because they said consumers don't see the value in it and its because there is no value in it, not when an atom tablet costs the same amount. That's my 2 cents but I have some programs like putty, matlab, office 2013 academic,
visual studio pro running on my tablet. The thing I will tell and think hard about this, are you sure there aren't ANY x86 programs you might want like turbotax, office pro, firefox, google chrome, vlc, utorrent just to name a few?

tavisdunn

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Go for the surface, it's industrial design is lovely in person and for me industrial design counts. Like you I chose windows rt when my old laptop started showing its age. The office suite is surprisingly robust and powerful and if you really felt the need to have a laptop experience, you could pick up a click key cover like I did, truthfully I barely use it....but its nice to have the flexibility.

As for limiting yourself, I haven't felt limited in the few months I've had the surface and it sounds like we have similar needs. As for the atom based tablets or surface pro, they look great.....but the battery life situation turned me off. In the case of the surface pro, half the battery life of the surface RT!

I'd rather have a battery that lasts me all day and use RT apps or web apps, than always looking for the charging cable for the couple of timed I wanted to fire up Photoshop.

slowboy920

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend surface RT for your needs. I just picked up RT and really enjoy the experience. Best thing about is battery life and office.

Goliemoi

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I will consider an Atom powered device if I can get it for the right price. Right now the X2 is just a little to expensive for what it's worth in my eyes. Also, the upcoming Yogo 11S has a base price of $800 with an i3 and 64 gb of storage, so I'd rather spring for that then the X2 at a higher price.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I mean windows RT would do what you want but I feel that x86 is the way to go. As for tavisdunn, I agree with some points on the battery life when it comes to the core series but the atoms get around the same battery life of the arms. I think the surface gets 10 hours and mine gets like 8.5, and 13 with the dock. The acer w510 gets 9 on it, so the atoms get like 1 hour less than the arms which is not much. Now I definitely wouldn't get a surface pro, it looks nice and I'm sure its a great computer but 5 hours of battery for a tablet sucks. I wish they would have made one with an atom, that would've had like 9-10 hours of battery life.

glenroebuck

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I looked at both seriously and went with the Surface 64GB. (I got a really good deal on it out of ebay!!) and the Yoga 11 can be had for 449 now via Newegg.

What sold me on the Surface was the keyboard being detachable. I got the type cover and love it but I use it a lot with the Kindle Software and read in portrait. I tried the Yoga and that keyboard and portrait just feels awkward. The tenting of Yoga is neat but again there is always a keyboard. The surface just feels more tablet. They both get amazing battery life - I ran a test with wifi on - looping The dark knight mp4 and brightness set to 70% and it ran from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. before i packed it up to go home with 48% battery left. Having office is great (minus no outlook - boooo) - and there are plenty of apps in windows store to keep you busy. I miss some mainstream apps - like sirius xm but I have an android phone I can use for that. One thing that would truly make this perfect would be if MS would work with Cisco to get an anyconnect client for it so I could vpn to work. That and if they released a Media Center Extender client for this - it would be perfect fit into the MS eco system (already having xbox glass etc). You can't go wrong with either one if you are looking for a great touch screen rt experience (yes a cheap touchscreen laptop would be more compatible but it won't be a tablet, won't fold 180 etc and have crappy battery life).

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Either go small or go big.

For RT, I suggest get an Asus RT
For Mid-power go for Asus Vivo Smart or ThinkPad 2.
For Power, go for laptop.

CyberAly

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey, i've got the same problem as the OP in that I wonder if the Surface will sit well on my lap. Nobody so far has mentioned anything about this. I find it hard to believe that people are only looking at specs and aren't instead looking at how comfortable it would be to use. The Surface looks cool but not without actual lap-based usage, i'm not made of tables!

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've owned a Surface RT since launch day. This weekend my wife picked up a 64gb Yoga with RT and it was a struggle for me not to be jealous. The Yoga was on sale at Fry's for $550.

The Yoga is much more like a traditional laptop and less like a tablet. You can flip it around and use it like a tablet, but it doesn't feel nearly as nice as the Surface and it's almost twice as heavy. If you are doing a lot of word processing, the Yoga is probably a better solution. The Surface Type Cover may eliminate the learning curve and typos you may make with the Touch Cover, but a real keyboard is the easiest to work with. Another helpful aspect of the Yoga is the display which can be tilted at various angles, as opposed to just one angle with the Surface.

The Yoga has more USB ports, regular SD card slot, and a longer better life than the Surface(13 hours vs 8 hours).

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've owned a Surface RT since launch day. This weekend my wife picked up a 64gb Yoga with RT and it was a struggle for me not to be jealous. The Yoga was on sale at Fry's for $550.

The Yoga is much more like a traditional laptop and less like a tablet. You can flip it around and use it like a tablet, but it doesn't feel nearly as nice as the Surface and it's almost twice as heavy. If you are doing a lot of word processing, the Yoga is probably a better solution. The Surface Type Cover may eliminate the learning curve and typos you may make with the Touch Cover, but a real keyboard is the easiest to work with. Another helpful aspect of the Yoga is the display which can be tilted at various angles, as opposed to just one angle with the Surface.

The Yoga has more USB ports, regular SD card slot, and a longer better life than the Surface(13 hours vs 8 hours).

Please tell me what the charge times are for each? Cause a major benefit of the Surface is that it charges wickedly fast!

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the surface pro (which I absolutely love). To answer your question about having it sit on your lap, it's awkward, but works (doing it right now to test). I'm usually used to a flat surface resting on my thigh, like a traditional laptop, but with the surface, the kick stand is in a sense "digging" into your thigh but not to a point where it hurts or anything. Its a good angle to view the screen and close enough to touch the screen without reaching. With the Pro, I like to use the pen when working close proximity, kinda like writing on a clipboard, but I don't think surface RT has the pen or WACOM technology

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Please tell me what the charge times are for each? Cause a major benefit of the Surface is that it charges wickedly fast!
According to what I read on CNET, it charges from 0 to 80% in 1 hour or to full in 1hr 30min.

I wouldn't trade my Surface RT for the Yoga, but if I were buying them over again... $700 vs $550 would make the decision harder.

gilezzz

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been owning a Yoga 11 for a few months now, and I would never exchange it for a Surface (or an iPad!). Maybe it is because of my own taste, but these are the reasons:

1) I don't like big tablets (10" or more, eg. iPad, Surface, Android tablets etc). I cannot find a use for those. When I am on the subway I have my smartphone (4.5" screen, android) and I wouldn't hold a tablet in my hands while standing, and a 9"-10" tablet is too big to put it in my pocket. When I am on an airplane, train etc Yoga is much better than a tablet, I just open it like a notebook if i need to type, or flip the screen and turn it into a stand, so i can put it on my lap or on a table and don't need to hold it. And the angle of the stand can be adjusted to my liking, while on the Surface is fixed. Better design. At home the same! When I am lying on the sofa i can use the Yoga in tablet mode, resting it on my belly and holding it with one hand. I think the design of the Yoga is just great. If I need more power (at work) i have a Thinkpad. So, smartphone for "standing", Yoga for "sitting" and "lying" home and long trips, ThinkPad for "office". I think I don't need anything else.
2) I like a good keyboard, I like it to be available when needed and i don't like to go searching for it and plugging it or the such. My Yoga 11 has an EXCELLENT keyboard that is always there, but you can flip it out of the way if you want to use the touch screen better. Plus, it has a trackpad.I love the keyboard. When I chat, type a document, or play a game, it's just there! When I don't need it, i flip it over and it gets out of the way. No need to disconnect it!
3) I like beautiful and meaningful design. The Yoga 11 design is just beautiful. I would not exchange it for a plastic cover/keyboard or any of these things. If you take Surface + the mechanical keyboard then it becomes as thick as the Yoga if not more. Plus, it's a cumbersome object. Yoga 11 is just a whole thing instead: you use it, it's one device, nothing else.
4) I like quick recharge. I don't know about the Surface RT, but the Yoga 11 recharges to 90% in 1 hour and to 100% in 1h30. I just love that. And the battery life is very very long.

In conclusion, I think the Yoga 11 is the best machine for Windows RT. Windows RT (and Windows 8) is an "hybrid" OS that has both tablet and PC features. It needs an "hybrid" PC/tablet to give the best. Sorry Microsoft, but for me Lenovo got it right this time and you didn't.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro