Help me choose a tablet for my wife

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I own a Surface Pro and my wife has decided she wants a tablet too. We decided that the iPad has too many compromises to fit because she has a windows phone and I'm building an MS ecosystem in the house. Can you guys help me discuss options for Windows 8 or RT with a price range of around $700?

She is very keen on the build quality of Surface RT and is fond of the touch/type cover.

My main worry other than Tegra 3 performance with putting her into RT is the longevity of the OS. At CES we saw worrying signs of lack of interest in Windows RT and I have a nagging question: Are all windows store apps required to be compatible for RT and 8 or are there fewer RT apps?

If we go Windows 8 I'm liking the Thinkpad. I almost bought it myself over the Surface Pro but it doesn't have the elegant keyboard experience.

Can you guys give me some answers, advice, suggestions?

longnd

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
As you know, windows 8 RT can only runs Modern UI app only (all the apps in windows store) even though there are some ways to make it runs traditional windows apps (only apps that was built on .NET framework).
Basically, all of non-metro apps can not be run on windows 8 RT and the fact is window store hasn't had may apps. So, if you need your traditional windows apps (the old ones that run on other previous windows version like photoshop, lightroom, yahoo, skype (desktop version), ...) just pickup Windows 8. otherwise, Windows 8 RT with all metro apps only.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess the question partially is what is your wife going to do with the tablet? I very, very much love my Surface RT and wouldn't consider any other tablet out there (not even Pro, really, I need the battery life).

Remember that Surface RT now has full flash support, so she can most likely do most of the stuff people use apps for through the browser. If she wants games, then Surface RT might not be the way to go.

So I'd find out what is the primary purpose for the tablet for her. I'm kinda a no-app guy anyways, even if I had an android or iOS phone/device, I probably wouldnt have any more apps than I have now on my devices. I never got why even use apps? I rather do the same in browser. If it's for gaming, then I understand, but then I wouldn't necessarily look at Windows devices first.

Then there's also the fact that you can remotely control a Windows desktop easily on the Surface. If you are home or work (or use VPNs and whatnots), you can use any app that happens to be on your desktop. Especially if you have Windows 8 desktop, you don't really even notice you are using remote desktop :D

The build quality alone for the Surface is so orgasmic that I would have really hard time considering anything else myself. As for Tegra's performance, I havn't personally found it lacking.

Also, I see from your last name that you must have finnish roots :p

Last edited:

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys.

My wife is mostly interested in browsing the internet, facebook, etc. I know Windows RT would be fine from that perspective. However, does Windows RT run every metro app in the store? Or can developers develop only for Windows 8 and leave RT out. That is my fear going forward as manufacturers are speaking out against RT, that developers would develop only for windows 8. I guess I'm also a little bit worried about future proofing with a Tegra 3.

I think she is a bit torn between a touch cover/looking cooler and the Wacom digitizer on the TPT2. Can anyone comment on how good the pen is on TPT2? Is it equivalent to the Surface Pro?

And yes my background is Finnish but I've never been there... one day :)

longnd

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
However, does Windows RT run every metro app in the store?
>> yes, Windows RT can run every metro app in the store.
What about non-metro app: It can even run some desktop app (if it's built on .NET framework). There are also some non .NET desktop apps have been ported to Windows RT:
Desktop apps ported to Windows RT - xda-developers

can developers develop only for Windows 8 and leave RT out?
>> it's very hard to answer. Just remember that metro apps are for both windows 8 and windows RT, it work on both systems. For now, metro apps are still release for windows 8/RT. and fortunately, windows phone 8 and windows 8 use the same core, so app develop for one system can easily port to the other.
that mean if developer release an app for windows 8, they can quickly port it for windows 8/RT.

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If she only wants it for Facebook, and browsing I would get an iPad or iPad mini, the other solution is a Windows RT. iPad is probably more future proof as Apple supports its products for a long time. Shoot the 4 year old 3gs has the latest IOS 6.

I think the best option is to up the budget and get a surface pro
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The thing is though that Surface Pro isnt automatically better for everyone. Worse battery life, requires active cooling (I dont think it makes that much noise though?), being a full fledged Windows means it probably needs some antivir and firewall going as well, heavier, etc.

I'm not saying Surface Pro is a bad product, but it's definitely not the device I'd recommend for someone who is looking for a tablet for some web browsing and facebooking. With what has been said so far, except for the possible need/want for a stylus, I'd definitely go for the Surface RT myself.

Personally I bought the Surface RT to replace the netbook I used for university. It had to be light as I dragged it in my backpack every day to school, but it also had to be capable of Office. I study theology, so I don't need any special software on my mobile device short from Office, which naturally is there already. At the same time it double as a usual tablet for entertainment purposes (no games though, cant be arsed with mobile games) when at home (and well, sometimes in uni too :D). I dont expect "my use" to reflect that of the OPs wife, but if I was to get a tablet now for the uses described by the OP, I would still get Surface. I still find myself picking up my Surface and just sorta going wow in my head at how beautiful it is and how good it feels, right before I flip out the keyboard and start working my bachelors degree again :p

When I travel by train to uni and back home every week day I feel sorry for all those iPad users who either 1) have the ipad flat on the table 2) have some awkward case solution to get some angle to the damn device 3) have to hold it in their hands in front of them for the 2 hour train trip. All this while I will fluidly switch between "laptop mode" and "tablet mode" or something inbetween while just putting it on the kickstand while watching a movie.

Sure, sometimes at uni I could've used some x86 app like Steam on my Surface, but on the other hand I really don't.. It's not like I ever bothered on my netbook either. At home I will in matter of seconds remotely connect to my desktop PC from the couch using Surface to talk with someone on Steam chat when I'm too lazy to get up.

I might seem like a ******, but the Surface RT for me is just about as perfect as it gets. Sure, I won't mind more useful apps, but tbh, I don't need them.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Consider the Acer W510 or W700. Also the Asus VivoTab or VivoTab Smart. I lean more towards the Acer W700 as it is not crippled with 2GB of RAM.

Par_T

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface RT and enjoy it. Occasionally, I have to use my desktop though. I notice I can't pick pages to print (mostly on e-mails, coupons) while I can on my desktop.

I mostly browse the internet, facebook, check e-mails and look at WP forums! I have used it to show my kids some You Tube and Khan Academy videos, and being able to mirror it o ur big screen TV is a plus. I don't notice missing apps as I don't use them much.

I have used Microsoft Office some. My son was able to make his entire 4th grade project on making a business, complete with designing a business logo (via powerpoint) on my Surface RT. That was when I decided that it wouldn't be worth moving up to the Surface Pro and was glad I didn't have an iPad. If my husband were to look for one that he could use for work, then I would recommend the Surface Pro or tablet with full Windows 8 (I don't need that much in my tablet, so like my RT). Since getting the Surface RT I use my desktop PC about 1-2 times a week only.

I love the portability, battery life, and it does what I want/need it to do.

I did check out the Acer Iconia, ThinkPad, and Samsung tablets as well. If I were to choose one with full Windows 8, I would choose the ThinkPad. My brother owns a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop and only has praise for it. He loves the ThinkPad keyboard and I believe it is an option with the ThinkPad tablet.

I would recommend the type cover over the touch cover for the Surface RT.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I personally do not recommend any non-Microsoft Windows device anymore because of the terrible support you get from these companies once they have your money. Its not very apparent here because most people have a Surface of some kind but from browsing the tabletpcreview forums I can tell you its a constant struggle to get a device that doesn't have driver issues, reliably download driver updates, get them to acknowledge and then fix issues or even just get a sensible response from their tech support people. With the Surface tablets Microsoft has demonstrated good support and is releasing fixes monthly so I would recommend them everytime. And from your description of the requirements the Surface RT would seem to be the best choice.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd go for the Hp x2. The dock has an extra battery for up to 14+hrs and it runs full windows 8. The build is great and its one of the best looking also.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7 for $200,
Asus RT for $399 (this tablet is always on sale, it's amazing! Sometimes with free keyboard dock).

Those are the top 2 best tablets for the money.

Par_T

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If you are close to a MS store, buy it there. I got my RT there with the assurance plan and they told me if my RT stopped working and a new model is out, they would replace with the new model. I think that might apply to all the different brands of tablets they sell from their store. The support for RT is definitely there (but I'm lucky, I live near a MS store, so it's easy to get to).

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I chose the W510 because it's x86, but battery life is excellent, especially with the keyboard. Price, fans, battery life, un-tablet- like 11.6", etc drove me away from the ivy bridge models. I just assume get a touch screen ultrabook.

Just curious about what limitations she faced with an iPad. Likely her needs are different, but my wife has an iPad & iPhone, and we've managed to find solutions to any of our sync requirements.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

EauRouge

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
It seems that what your wife wants to use it for, that she'd best have an ipad mini. I really think thats the best option. Its much gentler on the wallet too

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll agree with the iPad mini if she needs a consumption tablet. The size, battery life, build quality, etc are all fantastic. I have one, and it's perfect for those needs.

Of course, the op said he's attempting a windows only ecosystem. For that, I'd advise waiting for the second generation tablets. I know we have some people on here who are happy with Windows RT, but for me it was an incredibly lacking, frustrating experience.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I ended up getting my girlfriend an iPad mini to replace her first Gen iPad. She is an IT professional like me and love my surface, but she ONLY wants to consume and read books. Surface is really just overkill for her demands.

I personally think the surface is the best tablet out there, rt or pro. I also would not but another iPad for me after getting surface.... That's the thing though. Different strokes for different folks. I use my surface for work and play, but she strictly uses her iPad for play...

If your wife only wants to consume, she may also wall all of the social apps, games, or any app that is top on the consumer list. It is also low maintenance and she and the iPad will be out of your way. I am happy my girlfriend is happy with her iPad, but I have huge smile inside when I have use my surface. It is truly a winner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos