2013's new tablet chipsets for Win8/RT

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
So as HP could not remedy the defect with my 128GB Envy X2 (was a defect specific to the new 128GB model only), I returned it and decided I would wait to see what comes out this year.

It looks like there will be the following new chipsets this year that will have tablets built on them:

WINDOWS 8
AMD Tamesh w/ Turbodock
Intel Atom Bay Trail-T
Intel Haswell-Y

WINDOWS RT
Nvidia Tegra 4
Qualcomm model ?

Of these, the ones that excite me the most so far are Intel Atom Bay Trail-T for its enhanced performance with super low power, and AMD's Tamesh with Turbodock - the variable intelligent power and cooling are very innovative.

How about others, any of these chipsets of interest to you?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Sucks man, they couldn't get that grounding issue sorted? Have to say your idea that the extra 64GB of storage maybe meaning bigger chip possibly touching the aluminum body made total sense to me.

Still rocking my Envy X2 and loving it. Very intrigued to see what new comes out this year as well. A little more horsepower with the same battery life as I'm getting now would be awesome. Just a bit more oomph in the graphics department and I'd be a happy camper (and probably trade up).
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Sucks man, they couldn't get that grounding issue sorted? Have to say your idea that the extra 64GB of storage maybe meaning bigger chip possibly touching the aluminum body made total sense to me.

Still rocking my Envy X2 and loving it. Very intrigued to see what new comes out this year as well. A little more horsepower with the same battery life as I'm getting now would be awesome. Just a bit more oomph in the graphics department and I'd be a happy camper (and probably trade up).
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Yeah the replacement was broke too. Engineering issue, hopefully fixed in future models.

The new Bay Trail will roughly have 2-3x the CPU performance (quad core + out of order) and 3x the GPU performance (4 EU Intel HD w/ DX11) of Clover Trail. Should be killer. AMD Tamesh also looks like it could be a player.

Last edited:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
But Bay trail isn't slated until Q3/4 is it? I thought the Tamesh from AMD looked interesting as well. I'm all up for upgrading if something better comes along! :-D
Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
But Bay trail isn't slated until Q3/4 is it? I thought the Tamesh from AMD looked interesting as well. I'm all up for upgrading if something better comes along! :-D
Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Yup neither will see the light of day for another 6months or so

wokaz80

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
im also very interested in this topic but seriously i dont know what's the point of bay trail if haswell is really good in power consumption

so for now we have core i3/i5 which is way more powerful than clovertrail tablet but consumes much more power

Intel said there will be haswell, as powerful as current i-core series, but then twice the battery life

then at the same time they announce dthere will be bay trail, which is 2-3x more performance than current atom clover trail, but with same battery life

doesnt it mean we just should go haswell? I mean by this logic haswell should have the same battery life with the current clover trail (because they said the battery will be twice better than the current ivy bridge processors) so what's the point paying $100 less for bay trail?

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
im also very interested in this topic but seriously i dont know what's the point of bay trail if haswell is really good in power consumption

doesnt it mean we just should go haswell? I mean by this logic haswell should have the same battery life with the current clover trail (because they said the battery will be twice better than the current ivy bridge processors) so what's the point paying $100 less for bay trail?
I believe it will make a Haswell-based tablet much more attractive, however only for a select audience needing the utmost processing power. Haswell will not be fanless. Don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that while it will be much better on battery, it still won't be on par with the SoC fanless Baytrail. The fan alone demands a thicker/larger device. To be on par with battery life, will also require larger battery. So for the ultra-thin ultra-light device with all day battery life, at $100 cheaper (your figure not mine) Baytrail makes a lot of sense. And I see that as the mainstream, particularly after the upcoming performance refresh. But Haswell will make a fantastic ultrabook, and a compromised tablet for those that really need the horses.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site

so for now we have core i3/i5 which is way more powerful than clovertrail tablet but consumes much more power

Intel said there will be haswell, as powerful as current i-core series, but then twice the battery life

then at the same time they announce dthere will be bay trail, which is 2-3x more performance than current atom clover trail, but with same battery life

Some good points, but as the above poster touched on:

* Haswell-Y will require a fan per Intel. It is not until the next generation of processors that we could something with the power of haswell without a fan. But if you are okay with the thickness of Surface Pro, for instance, this may not be an issue.

* Haswell-Y though having better battery life than IB, still will not quite compete with Bay Trail-T in active nor standby battery power. So people wanting the most portability would want to go with Bay Trail-T.

* Haswell-Y will be significantly more expensive than Intel Atom Bay Trail-T.

* AMD Tamesh, assuming timely release, should be an interesting chip that might be right in-between Haswell-Y and Bay Trail-T in terms of both performance and thickness; while Bay Trail-T has four out-of-order processing cores, the GPU is still not top shelf - it is Intel HD graphics series, but if you look at the specs it appears only 4 EUs compared to 16 EUs in IB HD4000, or 6 EUs in IB HD2500. To me, that sounds like Bay Trail-T will have the GPU performance in the range of Intel HD2500 (unless they do some incredible overclocking). Tamesh has a faster GPU, and is fanless with variable clocks whether docked or not - instead of putting the fan in the tablet, AMD will put the fan in the dock which will apparently force air through the tablet innards allowing for high clocks when docked! Quite unique as it allows for performance in the range of Haswell with thickness in the range of Bay Trail-T.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes