i need help with picking a tablet

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
He is asking for these good specs on a tablet/convertible, and those are this price. So yep, expensive, but SO worth it if you have the money.

Now the Surface Pro + Keyboard is roughly $100 cheaper than the XPS with same specs (storage, memory, processor). Surface Pro having pen input, everything else being the same. Now if you want to go bigger on specs, the Surface Pro doesn't get any better than that. The XPS can get decked out with i7, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD for $1700 making an incredible machine.

If money is no object, the XPS is a beast! For the money though, you get more with the Surface for the money.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Now the Surface Pro + Keyboard is roughly $100 cheaper than the XPS with same specs (storage, memory, processor). Surface Pro having pen input, everything else being the same. Now if you want to go bigger on specs, the Surface Pro doesn't get any better than that. The XPS can get decked out with i7, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD for $1700 making an incredible machine.

If money is no object, the XPS is a beast! For the money though, you get more with the Surface for the money.

And the XPS is bigger, has better sound, can flip from laptop to tablet, the keyboard WORKS on your lap (I know this because I've tried to do this on my Surface RT), and has a backlit keyboard, which is a deal breaker to many. I think it has more RAM though, but IDK. It might have better battery life also. It also has more ports.

The Surface Pro isn't available in Israel as he said, so he can't get it unless he gets it from another country.

I think the only other way that the Surface is better is the design/looks is that it comes with Windows 8 Pro, not Windows 8, and that it has both front and rear cameras.

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't get Apple-hate , but I have to recommend you an iPad 4 because its the only "finished" product in the market .Even lot of people who carried Android phones got samsung tabs and android tablets but they all sold their android tablets and got iPad 2/3/4's and all felt positively (yes some of them are also anti-apple)

Android tablets and Windows 8 tablets are still not very polished experience as of this year.

These are the issues you would face :
1.Android tablets of any kind : They lag and even browsing a simple page triggers lag (if u are iOS/WP user , you would notice it) and apps are pathetic.Sure , you can have fun in open world but after a while , You feel the need of polished and optimized apps.
2.iPad : Good at lot of things (probably the best) but you need iTunes and its a closed platform but you have countless number of QUALITY apps and games but again a closed platform like i said.
3.W8 : More powerful and More functional but issues everywhere being first gen devices

So , either wait for next sweep of windows tablets to arrive or get an iPad/Nexus 10

Screen Quality of iPad is extremely good.It still has the best screen on par with Nexus 10.

If u want a great screen , only good ones i can recommend are Nexus 10 or iPad 3/4 , remaining all won't come close on long term.

It depends on the person. I bought an iPad 3 last summer and I really did not like it. I sold it 6 weeks after purchasing it. Android tablets are somewhat lacking but I would say they are even with the iPad. I just bought a Dell XPS 10 and I think it is a far superior product when compared to an iPad or Android tablet. The Windoes RT tablets are very lacking in the gaming department, but if you are looking for a Surface Pro type device, then an iPad won't be able to run Steam games like the Surface Pro would. I would never recommend an iPad for anyone unless they needs simplicity or someone who wants a cheap mobile tablet that is a consumption/gaming device.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a Dell XPS 12

It's really great... but its not a tablet. Even with the screen swiveled back its too heavy and bulky to use like a tablet. It's okay in your lap while watching tv as a tablet, but its too heavy and thick to carry and use as a tablet.

Its a really nice convertible ultrabook though, I like mine a lot.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a Dell XPS 12

It's really great... but its not a tablet. Even with the screen swiveled back its too heavy and bulky to use like a tablet. It's okay in your lap while watching tv as a tablet, but its too heavy and thick to carry and use as a tablet.

Its a really nice convertible ultrabook though, I like mine a lot.

Ya, but it is lighter than a MacBook Pro, right?

origr15

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Let me ask you something else - if i really don't care about legacy software (for windows 7 for example) and i want the tablet for the apps and i am not going to play games other then what's on the app store , should i get a windows rt like the vivotab rt? Or is it a waste?

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Let me ask you something else - if i really don't care about legacy software (for windows 7 for example) and i want the tablet for the apps and i am not going to play games other then what's on the app store , should i get a windows rt like the vivotab rt? Or is it a waste?

Instead of considering the vivotab rt, I would highly recommend the vivotab Smart. The latter is a tablet with full-version Windows 8 installed. And its the cheapest W8 tablet on the market atm. You may think you do not care about legacy apps right now but once you immersed yourself in W8 world, you will realized how versatile and practical a tablet with full Windows 8 is. I also did alot of research & comparisons like you before I decided on the Smart tablet. I never regretted making that decision. However, with all the info & experiences that others have shared with you, the final decision is still up to you. Only you know what's best for you ��

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't buy anything RT right now until the processor is upgraded. The Qualcomm 600 is more powerful than the Atom version of Windows 8, so going down to RT (tegra 3) is even less reasonable. If anything grab an i5 or i3 windows 8 tab.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't get Apple-hate , but I have to recommend you an iPad 4 because its the only "finished" product in the market .Even lot of people who carried Android phones got samsung tabs and android tablets but they all sold their android tablets and got iPad 2/3/4's and all felt positively (yes some of them are also anti-apple)

Android tablets and Windows 8 tablets are still not very polished experience as of this year.

These are the issues you would face :
1.Android tablets of any kind : They lag and even browsing a simple page triggers lag (if u are iOS/WP user , you would notice it) and apps are pathetic.Sure , you can have fun in open world but after a while , You feel the need of polished and optimized apps.
2.iPad : Good at lot of things (probably the best) but you need iTunes and its a closed platform but you have countless number of QUALITY apps and games but again a closed platform like i said.
3.W8 : More powerful and More functional but issues everywhere being first gen devices

So , either wait for next sweep of windows tablets to arrive or get an iPad/Nexus 10

Screen Quality of iPad is extremely good.It still has the best screen on par with Nexus 10.

If u want a great screen , only good ones i can recommend are Nexus 10 or iPad 3/4 , remaining all won't come close on long term.

Hi, you are right about W8 being "More powerful and More functional" because W8 tablet is installed with a powerful PC operating system while iPad is installed with a phone operating system. Regarding W8 having "issues everywhere being first gen devices", I can tell you it's a MYTH because I have an issues-free firsthand experience since I acquired my W8 tablet more than a month ago. Cheers!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I've had a Vivo Tab RT for a short while, then an Asus Vivo Tab and now a Surface Pro with an Acer W500 as a spare tablet. Out of all of them the Surface with Core i5 gives the best user experience, everything is smooth, lag free in a way the others arent. Obvious downside is battery life but there are Core devices with longer lasting batteries like the Acer W700 so if I were you I would look into a Core powered tablet, they are currently the best way to experience Windows 8.

origr15

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
But the surface is not aold yet in Israel , and there are two version of the vivotab smart one with dock support and one without for some reason there is a difference of 600~ $ between them ...

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
But the surface is not aold yet in Israel , and there are two version of the vivotab smart one with dock support and one without for some reason there is a difference of 600~ $ between them ...

Do not know why the price difference is so wide... maybe the model you are looking at is different from mine. If its any help, here's Asus link...

ASUS - ASUS VivoTab Smart

Personally, the Atom-powered vivotab Smart tablet is an inexpensive introduction to the W8 world. However, if you have enough budget, a core-powered W8 tablet is also a good choice.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

There are other core options besides the Surface, have a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn1gDLRhOXY&feature=player_embedded.

Which devices are available to you in Israel? Your choice obviously depends on that but if you want a 1080p screen your only option is a Core-powered device which dont come cheap. If you definitely cant stretch to the Core devices and have to go with an Atom device I would look at the HP Envy X2. Its going cheap now and can be had with a keyboard for about the same price as tablet only devices. Better value than going for the Asus Smart.

origr15

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
As it happens my dad is flying to germany next month - is there any german here who can recommend a good store? And do tablets sold in germany have english and hebrew ? As i remember most os's today come either preinstalled or can be installed upon with all languages , right?

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
no idea, but its not tablet weight. its an ultrabook.

i like it as an ultrabook, its very lightweight and looks nice and is spec'd nicely. The convertible screen is handy when I occasionally need it, but I would not want to use it primarily as a tablet, its too bulky for that.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
As it happens my dad is flying to germany next month - is there any german here who can recommend a good store? And do tablets sold in germany have english and hebrew ? As i remember most os's today come either preinstalled or can be installed upon with all languages , right?

Yes, you just might need to change it. I think when you first get it, it asks you what language.

I don't know what part of Germany your dad is going to, so I don't know which stores.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong with IE10 though. I understand if it's preference, but IE10 doesn't have to shame compared to any other browser out there really. All the earlier IEs sucked *** though :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo