Acer Iconia W3 and the free Office 2013 deal

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I realise the pros and cons of the its-cheap-but-maybe-too-cheap Iconia W3 have already been heavily debated but I'm still a bit leaning towards it in spite of the "horrible" screen (I did see it at a Currys PC World the other day, it's not *that* bad IMO).

What's drawing me is the FREE Office 2013 deal (worth ?80-100) for a tablet that only costs ?249 plus whatever micro-USB adapter and SD card I need.

What I'd like to ask specifically the following:

If I buy this, will I be able to remove Office and install it on another laptop?
(Microsoft's site says 1-user 1-pc licenses are transferrable, but not sure if that applies for pre-installed software)

Due to all the negative press surrounding the bad screen, Acer was rumoured to be working on an improved, lighter W3 with an IPS screen. Any idea if/when that's coming out?

Thanks a ton!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I realise the pros and cons of the its-cheap-but-maybe-too-cheap Iconia W3 have already been heavily debated but I'm still a bit leaning towards it in spite of the "horrible" screen (I did see it at a Currys PC World the other day, it's not *that* bad IMO).

What's drawing me is the FREE Office 2013 deal (worth ?80-100) for a tablet that only costs ?249 plus whatever micro-USB adapter and SD card I need.

What I'd like to ask specifically the following:

If I buy this, will I be able to remove Office and install it on another laptop?
(Microsoft's site says 1-user 1-pc licenses are transferrable, but not sure if that applies for pre-installed software)

Due to all the negative press surrounding the bad screen, Acer was rumoured to be working on an improved, lighter W3 with an IPS screen. Any idea if/when that's coming out?

Thanks a ton!

No, you cannot remove Office and Install it on another device. It is bundled with the device, not a stand alone license. With respect to the screen not being that bad, I would certainly disagree but to each their own. What I would suggest though, is to consider whether you can really do much in one of the Office Home and Student applications on a tiny, dim, low resolution screen. BTW, you can get Office bundled in the 10.1 in Atom tablets. All will offer the same lousy Atom performance but at least the screens are better and have a bit more space. There is also very little difference in weight since the Acer tablet is hardly what I would call svelte.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Well it's actually a key you get. By default, the Office that's already installed is a trial version. once you enter that key, it becomes a full version. So I say, you're safe to install Office on any machine as long as the key hasn't been used.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Well it's actually a key you get. By default, the Office that's already installed is a trial version. once you enter that key, it becomes a full version. So I say, you're safe to install Office on any machine as long as the key hasn't been used.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I've heard that you cannot use the product key for another computer and that it is somehow tied into the installation or computer ID?

I'm just curious, it might be more worth it to activate this software on my other computer if you can actually move it.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I've heard that you cannot use the product key for another computer and that it is somehow tied into the installation or computer ID?

I'm just curious, it might be more worth it to activate this software on my other computer if you can actually move it.

Bump

I'm genuinely interested if an unused OEM bundle product key can be used on another computer to activate office.

agactual

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that the office installed on the W3 is a trial version and you do get a code in the box. I don't know if it is tied to the W3 or not. The way the process went made it seem like it wasn't tied to the device but i didn't try to install it on another computer first, so i can't tell you definitively if it would work or not.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to update -

I did end up trying the product key on my desktop and it accepted. So you get a legit full transferable copy of windows with these tablets, another excellent value adding feature if you would like office for another computer! Basically only $120 for the tablet!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans