Just won a Surface RT, what are my limitations?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
What shortcomings does it offer? I don't really know how to answer your question. It won't do your laundry. But it'll do pretty much most computing tasks you need it to. Think of it as a Windows PC in tablet form, but it can't run exe files. All apps have to come from the Windows app store.

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Itll do most things you expect a tablet to, with the added bonus of having office included. Windows 7 never had apps, it had programmes, and no, it wont run legacy apps. But as is so often pointed out, you wouldn't expect your iPad to run mac programmes... Just ignore the desktop mode and you'll be fine!

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
All of the other responders don't want to admit that RT Can't run Windows 7 apps. It also cannot run some metro apps designed for W8.

Huh? The guy two posts above you specifically said it can't run exe programs. And what Metro Apps designed for Windows 8 can it not run??

All apps released through the Windows store run on RT or 8.
You seem to think that its a completely different OS. Its really not much different other than its compiled for a different Chipset. Legacy apps could technically be compiled for ARM processors and then work on RT.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Huh? The guy two posts above you specifically said it can't run exe programs. And what Metro Apps designed for Windows 8 can it not run??

All apps released through the Windows store run on RT or 8.

You seem to think that its a completely different OS. Its really not much different other than its compiled for a different Chipset. Legacy apps could technically be compiled for ARM processors and then work on RT.

Limitation relative to Windows 8 is that you cannot install any applications from outside of the app store (similar to an iPad).

But the issue here is that the apps available to the RT are quite limited compared to its competition.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Just remember it's a ARM tablet just like a iPad or Android tablet. This basically means that you can only run applications and games from the Windows Store.

There are alot of good applications and games available. I love Halo Spartan Assault and Asphalt 7. It also has a USB port and you can connect a Xbox 360 controller, practically any keyboard or mouse. It also has Office preinstalled and in 8.1 Outlook will be included as well.

To me its a better fit than a iPad or android tablet. I can use it in meetings to take notes, do inventory in excel and prepare support documents in Word. After work on the flight home I use it to watch movies and read books etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss