Upcoming Bay Trail Tablets

Lurchorama

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
So there is the next generation of Atom-based tablets coming sporting the new Bay Trail CPU.
One of the big things about the Bay Trail CPU is that it's 64 bit. However there is a 'but'...
Some of the hibernate/sleep/quick start functions within Windows is currently only available in the 32 bit version, so we need to wait until Q1 2014 supposedly for this to happen.
The downside of this, is that it would seem that this next generation of tablets coming out is only coming out with 2Gb of RAM (due to the 32 bit ceiling of memory access). Even though the CPU is 64bit capable and traditionally 32 bit Windows will function fine with more ram (and just not address it).

So, the question for the peeps is; (I've already done a bunch of trawling on Google, but...) anyone know of any of the next-gen Atom tablets coming out with more than 2Gb of RAM to help 'future-proof' them?

Cheers,
Lurch

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey, you've got your facts a little muddled. 4gb of RAM is limitation of 32bit processors.

To be honest with you tablet technology is moving so fast at the moment no matter what you buy it'll be out of date by next year. If I was you I'd choose a tablet that you really love the design of, that's why I'm going for the Nokia 2520, but I am interested to see what Lenovo has coming out on Tuesday.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
All of them are sporting 2GB RAM because for most users, that's enough. And, besides, the selling point of these tablets are the price.
Cut every key spec. 32GB/2GB/Bay Trail combo. Netbook style.

Lurchorama

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey, you've got your facts a little muddled. 4gb of RAM is limitation of 32bit processors.

To be honest with you tablet technology is moving so fast at the moment no matter what you buy it'll be out of date by next year. If I was you I'd choose a tablet that you really love the design of, that's why I'm going for the Nokia 2520, but I am interested to see what Lenovo has coming out on Tuesday.

No; the 32bit limitation is ~3.2something GB of ram; but selling a tablet with 3Gb of RAM just sounds weird, so they've all got 2Gb.

The new Nokias do look good; but it'll have to be a 'full blown' Windows tablet for me...

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
There were earlier dual core 64bit Atom processors. I have a Giada book size PC that I use as my HTPC. It came barebone with 2GB of RAM. I upgraded it to 4GB and loaded Win7 64bit on it. It works great as a HTPC.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss