Black Friday Surface RT or wait for Surface 2?

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I really want a Windows RT device... I know some people might think I am nuts. My wife already has a Surface RT so I fully know the limitations as well as the advantages. I just missed the Lenovo Yoga 11 deal via Lenovo for $299 this last weekend. I know Best Buy has it today for $349, but it got me realizing that at $349 I would be better off on Black Friday trying to get a Surface RT with a Type Cover 2 (I would rather have a Surface style device over one with a permanent keyboard even if it can flip back).

Here's my dilemma- I would ultimately want to be hooking up USB 3.0 external drives to my Surface (1 or 2) as I would relegate my custom built 2008 desktop to playing old PC games now and then, but nothing else. I would more than likely be getting a 32 gig device, so all my pictures, videos and music would reside on the external device. It would be nice to have the USB 3.0 speeds when moving data around. Do people with USB 3.0 ports and 3.0 external drives (whether thumb drives or hard drives) have any input as to whether or not it is really worth it if you are moving data around rather frequently? I would imagine most of the time it would not be THAT significant in size (hundreds of megs, but not gigs), but I could potentially be moving photo data from the SD card slot (for my digital camera) to the external hard drive, move a movie file onto my Surface for long trips, etc. I get by just fine right now syncing stuff without USB 3.0 in my life, but I feel that the idea of having a highly mobile device, like a tablet, is the fact I don't have to set something to transfer at night and come back the next morning.

The other worry I have is the processor, although this feels like a smaller concern. Surface RT is more than enough processor at this point in time for me since I don't play any crazy games. The question is, long term, does it make more sense to wait and get Surface 2 for full price hopefully by March? I'm considering a Lumia tablet, but I have one huge unknown concern- when Microsoft officially owns Nokia, do they continue to issue firmware updates, even minor ones? I do not see why Microsoft would support the Lumia tablet line when it would be direct competition to the Surface line.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I think you've got a good handle on the issues regarding transferring files. I don't see where USB 3.0 would make a significant difference over 2.0 when transferring files from a USB harddrive to microSD or internal memory. It's not really going to be THAT much data at a sitting... and the performance bottleneck is more likely to be the r/w speed of a microSD card than the speed of USB.

In my opinion, a Surface RT for $199 is a far,far better deal than $449 for a Surface 2.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
well not to mention that when you are moving over multiple files that are smaller and such, the speed usually will be much slower or equal to USB 2.0. The indicated speeds are usually a few large files. Surface for $200 is a steal.

I only say that as well because you are using it as a consumption device and man does it do that well. Drag drop and go, absolutely great for plane rides.

mcraine

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I also think the 2 might be the way to go. The general user experience is reported to be better with the improved specs. It sounds like everything you do on the device is faster and smoother. And you'll be a bit more future proof with a newer model with improved specs.

mcraine

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I also think the 2 might be the way to go. The general user experience is reported to be better with the improved specs. It sounds like everything you do on the device is faster and smoother. And you'll be a bit more future proof with a newer model with improved specs.

I'm actually rethinking my strategy for an RT tablet. I was going to go for the 2520 as it has LTE but the lack of a stand and the small usb port has me rethinking my decision. I'm now considering going with the original surface like OP if I can get a great deal and hold off until next year when more devices come out with LTE. This way I can get my hands on a device soon for not too much money and then wait for a better solution in the coming months. I'll then gift the original surface to my mom who doesn't need LTE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro