Best Win 8 tablet?

suziezfranks

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of getting a Win 8 tablet, but I have no clue as to what are the ones I should look at.

What I want is a tablet no bigger then 13-14", with a Intel i5 cpu or equivalent, and can work with a keyboard.

Any suggestions?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What is best for you depends entirely on what you're going to use it for. I love the Surface Pro 2, but for a couple reasons, I went with the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11S. Not actually a tablet, but a two-in-one, but it fits my use pattern better than the Surface line. If you decide that PC is good for you, make sure to get the i5 Haswell, which is currently available at Best Buy but not on Lenovo.com (last time I checked, anyway - a few days back).

Why I like this over the Surface:
1. Use in the lap - in either stand or laptop mode, it is not uncomfortable. Stand mode you can use it like a tablet, but elevated, so you don't have to hold it up. Laptop mode - of course, as a laptop.
2. Far lower price, when you equip similarly. Add up the Surface Pro 2 with a 128GB SSD, add a type cover, and tell me what you get for the price. This has the 128GB SSD, i5 Haswell, built in keyboard that can flip out of the way, 4 GB RAM.... Basically, other than the 4GB and 128GB hard drive in my old laptop, this one is just as powerful as my old laptop, a three year old i7 with 8GB, 1TB, and touch screen. This one is a lot more compact at 11.6" vs the 15.6" on my old one, too.

What might you miss? I don't think this one has an active digitizer. You can't remove the keyboard, so as a tablet it's heavier than the Surface Pro 2, I think (I didn't look it up).

Yes, I really love what Microsoft did with the SP2, but for the money (which is important to me), I couldn't afford it, while I can this.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If the OP does a lot of typing, a convertible like the Yoga 11S or something like the Venue 11 Pro is going to be a better option than the Surface Pro 2. I'm currently typing on a Type Cover 2, which, while a great typing experience for a tablet, isn't going to hold a candle to a Lenovo keyboard (IMHO, no OEM keyboard can rival a Lenovo). I added the Venue 11 Pro simply because one of their keyboard covers is virtually a laptop dock (and includes an extra battery).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If the OP does a lot of typing, a convertible like the Yoga 11S or something like the Venue 11 Pro is going to be a better option than the Surface Pro 2. I'm currently typing on a Type Cover 2, which, while a great typing experience for a tablet, isn't going to hold a candle to a Lenovo keyboard (IMHO, no OEM keyboard can rival a Lenovo). I added the Venue 11 Pro simply because one of their keyboard covers is virtually a laptop dock (and includes an extra battery).
I love my 11S - got it last week. OP, if you decide to go with 11S, get it from Best Buy, where you'll get the i5 Haswell for the same price as the third gen i3 on Lenovo.com (Haswell isn't on Lenovo.com for some reason).

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
What is HP putting out? I'm sure they are right there with their offerings.
Nothing earth shattering really... I used the Envy x2 (you can take off the screen) and it looks like this is the route HP takes. I liked the x2 a lot, but after using it for almost a year, I realized that I hardly took the screen off, since I always ended up to have to find a place for the keyboard. So I basically used it as a ultra book. The tablet factor was gone.
I am now looking at the surface pro 2, a real tablet that can act as a notebook, since I prefer mobility over comfort.
But as far as I have seen, beside the Enterprise tablet from HP which is a true tablet, all their other stuff are convertibles where you can take the screen off. And on consumer tablets, they seem to go cheap and heavily lean on Android. Haven't seen a high quality tablet from HP yet...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos