buy now or wait for CES

he_shark

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I want a new laptop, indeed I've wanted one for a couple of years. I was tempted by the original Surface Pro, but put off by the battery life. So when the Surface Pro 2 came out I was going to buy it, but with every other laptop/tablet out there getting thinner I was upset it they didn't thin it down (even though I realise it's a marvel of technology for the size). But I also decided I'd prefer a bigger screen which is the main reason I'm not going for it, and also won't be waiting for the Surface 3. So I'm mostly looking at the Lenovo Yoga 2.

I'm just wondering do I get myself a Christmas present or do I wait and see if anything better comes out at CES in a month?

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
The issue with waiting for CES is a large amount of those devices aren't released until May and beyond. By the time the coolest ones come out, you're looking at nearly this time next year. I think the Yoga is a good choice. I also think the Asus ultrabooks are pretty impressive too.

he_shark

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks your thoughts, agree anything that's announced at CES might not be available for a while. But even still if someone announces something that is significantly (or decently anyway) better/more interesting than the Yoga Pro 2 then even if I can't buy it yet, I'd still be having reservations. I know it's a lovely machine and I shouldn't worry and just get it and enjoy it, but if that was to happen I'd be frustrated. Lenovo won't have anything new I'm sure, they've announced a lot lately, but someone else might have something with Bay Trail that'd offer more battery and power. Just wondered if anyone knew of anything that was rumoured.

The g505s is a decent machine, but a bit of a fatty and not enough of an upgrade over my current (aging) laptop.

Had a play with a Surface Pro in the shops on my lunch, very tempted, but as I do a lot of dev work I know I'd find 10" too restricting. The crazy res on the Lenovo would be great for coding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss