Help?? I want a tablet, need advice!

gabejw54

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently in search of a windows tablet, but not sure which to get. Some background info: I'm a grad student and I want a tablet not to replace my laptop, but to take with me to campus ( because tablets are alot lighter in weight) and to be able to type papers, download and view pdfs, powerpoints, send emails and also to play games and watch Netflix. As well as web browsing etc..

I think I've narrowed down my choices to the surface 2, surface 1, or the Asus t100.

One big question I have is would I regret getting a surface RT rather than a surface pro? Is the difference between pro and RT worth the price? Also, of the tablets listed which would you all recommend, and why?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
if you don't want to run desktop class apps like Photoshop , iTunes or any other .exe files get surface 2 since its a very good tablet for browsing , it has Microsoft office 2013 home and student edition , read/edit PDF files , some casual games like asphalt 8 , GTA san andreas , Microsoft solitaire, tap tiles and many other games are available in windows store. If you want to run desktop apps get Asus tablet or surface pro/2 :)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm currently in search of a windows tablet, but not sure which to get. Some background info: I'm a grad student and I want a tablet not to replace my laptop, but to take with me to campus ( because tablets are alot lighter in weight) and to be able to type papers, download and view pdfs, powerpoints, send emails and also to play games and watch Netflix. As well as web browsing etc..

I think I've narrowed down my choices to the surface 2, surface 1, or the Asus t100.

One big question I have is would I regret getting a surface RT rather than a surface pro? Is the difference between pro and RT worth the price? Also, of the tablets listed which would you all recommend, and why?
If you need Java or browser plugin support then scratch the Windows RT based Surface tablets from your list.

The Asus T100 is a fine device from what I've read... I've tried out the keyboard and although it is cramped (compared to the Surface Type Cover) it is serviceable. I don't think it would be comfortable to write lengthy papers on it. The upside is that MS Office 2013 (minus Outlook) is included.

I suggest asking yourself (again) why you are looking at a Windows tablet in the first place. If it is to use it in "tablet mode", you may find yourself a bit disappointed in the availability of Modern UI apps. Support for Windows x86 provided by the Surface Pro is an acceptable stop-gap but it isn't preferable. Using desktop apps (x86 legacy apps) on a tablet is pretty tricky. Also, the weight, aspect ratio, and thickness of the Surface Pro 1 and 2 make it prohibitive to use as a tablet.

All that to say, the Surface Pro 1 and 2 make excellent ultrabooks, but poor tablets in my opinion.

I'd recommend looking at a larger "netbook"... the Asus X200MA has an 11.6" touchscreen, 500GB harddrive, full USB (x3), HDMI, VGA, and SD ports. Best Buy has it on sale for $249 (regularly $279). Battery life is 4-5 hrs. If you'll need a license for MS Office 2013, Microsoft offers a special university deal on Office 365 for students... $79 for a 4 yr subscription... covers 1 PC/Mac + 1 tablet (iPad/Windows).

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You might want to check out the HP Elitepad 900. It's a year or so old and was intended as a business device, but it has some pretty kickin' accessories that might interest you....keyboard, docking station, etc. Plus, there is a 3G capable model that can really expand your connectivity. It runs a full version of Windows 8/8.1 and comes in a 32 or 64 Gb version with SD card expansion. Also is NFC capable. It's a really classy looking device. Aluminum body. Very nicely made. You can find them for around $200 on Ebay. I really enjoy mine. Good luck with your search.

gabejw54

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I actually bought a type cover 2 from amazon because it was alot cheaper. Are there any great apps/games that you would recommend for the surface 2?( I've posted a separate thread with this question btw)

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
there are a bunch of threads about this so some searching would make your life easier (btw, I didn't see your thread in the surface 2 subforum asking).

some of the games I play:
despicable me (awesome!!!!)
pac-man championship edition
rayman jungle run
rayman fiesta run
jetpack joyride
microsoft mahjong
microsoft minesweeper
microsoft solitaire collection
pinball fx2
supermarket mania 2
taptiles
wordament
WSOP: Full House Pro (world series of poker)
asphalt 7, asphalt 8
cut the rope
AE 3D Moto 2
dungeon hunter 4
frozen free fall
fruit ninja
endless skater
last heroes the final stand
machinarium
maleficent free fall
sudoku
team crossword
temple run brave
temple run oz
uno & friends
didlr
gunstringer
halo spart assault
hexic
nitjitsu
samurai vs zombies defense
skulls of the shogun
star wars tiny death star
hill climb racing
zombie tsunami
robotek
soulcraft
spades
star wars assault team

too many general apps. you'd have to narrow down what kind of apps you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans