Cheap Windows 8 Tablet (Under $250)?

cameroncr95

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I am looking for a Windows 8 tablet (NOT RT) from any manufacturer.

It must be under $250. Can't spend much more than that. Size doesn't matter either. Any suggestions for me?

ikepigott

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
The Venue Pro 8 is a bargain at $249, but that only has 32Gig onboard. With the OS eating a lot, I'd bump that up to the 64Gig version at $299.

At that price, it is an ideal note-taking size, with enough punch foe the occasional power application.

Christian Sosa

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a tablet for mom. I will ask her friends what apps they use in meetings since everyone at work now has a tablet she says.

Is this tablet a great note taking device as well as a great reading device? I was thinking of getting her a 10" device. I have a ThinkPad Lenovo 2 tablet. It's amazing but that's all I been exposed too. It was great but doesn't fit the bill for the gift.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The Venue Pro 8 is a bargain at $249, but that only has 32Gig onboard. With the OS eating a lot, I'd bump that up to the 64Gig version at $299.

At that price, it is an ideal note-taking size, with enough punch foe the occasional power application.

I just bought the Dell Venue 8 Pro 64 on eBay for less than $200 and it came with a case and pen. Love it; just learning all the things I can do with it. Give eBay a try.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Any 8-incher could fit that bill if you find one where the price is right.
The Venue 8 Pro is more likely to be found at a bargain however.

I picked my 32 GB up for $207, some have gotten it for less, $250, etc.

Dell Venue tablets have a proprietary active stylus setup, ASUS Vivotab 8 (???) has a wacom digitizer, some have micro HDMI... but at their heart, most current gen tablets are the same spec wise.

cameroncr95

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I'll probably get the venue 8. Does anyone know if this has any kick stand or is that sold separately?
Also, is it possible to blutooth a mouse and keyboard to it? I was hoping to use it as a multipurpose device.

I also noticed it runs an ATOM processor... does anyone here with one know if they can run the ORIGINAL The Sims on it? (Not 2, 3 or 4). It should be possible due to the specs, but I heard awful things about EA Games and ATOM processors.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll probably get the venue 8. Does anyone know if this has any kick stand or is that sold separately?
Also, is it possible to blutooth a mouse and keyboard to it? I was hoping to use it as a multipurpose device.

I also noticed it runs an ATOM processor... does anyone here with one know if they can run the ORIGINAL The Sims on it? (Not 2, 3 or 4). It should be possible due to the specs, but I heard awful things about EA Games and ATOM processors.

No built in kickstand, there are various flip covers available that do the same purpose.

Bluetooth mouse and keyboard is an option.

I might load it up sometime soon, but I see no reason for it not to run. The new atoms aren't like the old ones if that helps.

cameroncr95

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
That would be good then. I read on some Sims Forums that many games from EA would have very terrible glitches and problems running on ATOM processors for some reason.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Don't expect the Atom processors to be playing many games. The simpler games like in the Windows Store. But not the gamers' games...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't expect the Atom processors to be playing many games. The simpler games like in the Windows Store. But not the gamers' games...

You'd be surprised, my Venue plays Starcraft II better than my laptop (2008-era ThinkPad, probably reflects more on it than the tablet) and it runs surprisingly well. Does Minecraft too.

But could you show me where it said Atom won't work, I haven't seen anything.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Dell Venue 8 Pro user here also.
I have to say the DV8P 64 was a very pleasant surprise at the price I got it for.

I also have the Dell magnetic flip cover and BT keyboard which rounds out the tablet nicely.
Installed 2 photo editing programs on mine which run flawlessly (DxO and Lightroom)

Can't say enough good things...great effort by Dell.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Would anyone here also suggest the DV8P as a "companion" tablet to complement my SP2? Thinking about buying a very cheap small tablet for media "consumption" - I was looking at something along the lines of the Nexus 7, but I'd prefer a Windows device because then everything will sync across my current Windows devices :p

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Would anyone here also suggest the DV8P as a "companion" tablet to complement my SP2? Thinking about buying a very cheap small tablet for media "consumption" - I was looking at something along the lines of the Nexus 7, but I'd prefer a Windows device because then everything will sync across my current Windows devices :p
Since you currently own an SP2, how well do the available Modern UI apps in the app store serve your tablet needs? If your answer is, "not very well", then I'd recommend going with a non-Windows tablet. But if you are satisfied with the quality and quantity of Modern UI apps, then a DV8P is an excellent choice.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

My only concern would be redundancy though

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's a fair point. A friend of mine bought an iPad mini to go with his MBP Retina display and he uses it heaps.... Small tablets now appeal to me lol

I would think a different platform could compliment your Surface well with different capabilities, but then again, syncing won't be as seamless

titoyees

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Lenovo lynx K3011 is really good. Big screen, good battery, no really good sound, 64GB. For me is perfect, but I am not a gamer, still is really good with those games on windows store like asphalt 8

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The DV8P is a fantastic value. Check out eBay. You can find great deals on factory refurbs and new/open box units. I found my DV8P 32gb new/open box for $150, which included Office 2013. If you'd rather have the 64gb model, you can find those for just over $200.

I also looked at the Miix 2, Iconia W4, and Encore. The DV8P just seemed like a better overall value. Better build quality, active stylus support, and more accessories (from dell and third parties). The Iconia and Encore get points for HDMI support, but their build quality felt cheap and "plasticy" to me.

If you're interested in a good value on 10" tablets, check out the Asus Vivotab Smart. Refurbs were going for around $200.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I own a Venue 8 Pro as well and yes, it's a really nice tablet. You can also check the newly launched Encore from Toshiba for $150 in MicroCenter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven