Refunds for purchased apps?

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Why doesn't Microsoft have an easy to access refund policy?

I hate being nice and buying what seem to be good apps at first.. Only to find out that they dont work at all.

And before anyone says read the reviews.. That is no excuse.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Do any of these apps have a trial version? I typically only use apps that offer a trial version.

Ironically i did try the trial version. Lasted a few days. I decided to buy the app (a media player for mkv files to be exact). The trial version played my files with sound. But once i ended my trial, it asked me to buy it (of course). Once bought... My videos no longer played sound.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Ironically i did try the trial version. Lasted a few days. I decided to buy the app (a media player for mkv files to be exact). The trial version played my files with sound. But once i ended my trial, it asked me to buy it (of course). Once bought... My videos no longer played sound.

That is not good at all. Have you contacted the developer?

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
This is definitely one of the areas Microsoft needs to work on.

In the Android world, of you uninstall an app within 15 minutes of buying it, you automatically get a refund.

To be fair, Windows devices are not as well locked down as Android devices are, one of the many reasons why we probably like Windows devices better. So, it could be a lot easier to buy something from the Microsoft Store, copy the install files, then uninstall for a refund.

One thing though I wish they would have. I run Windows 8.1 on a tablet designed for Windows 7. 80% of what I install runs fine but some things just wasn't run because of hardware conflicts. I wish they had something that would know what hardware I had and not allow me to buy things in the first place that simply won't run on my tablet.

You listening Microsoft?

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
This is definitely one of the areas Microsoft needs to work on.

In the Android world, of you uninstall an app within 15 minutes of buying it, you automatically get a refund.

To be fair, Windows devices are not as well locked down as Android devices are, one of the many reasons why we probably like Windows devices better. So, it could be a lot easier to buy something from the Microsoft Store, copy the install files, then uninstall for a refund.

One thing though I wish they would have. I run Windows 8.1 on a tablet designed for Windows 7. 80% of what I install runs fine but some things just wasn't run because of hardware conflicts. I wish they had something that would know what hardware I had and not allow me to buy things in the first place that simply won't run on my tablet.

You listening Microsoft?

I know what you mean, but i think its impossible for ms to test compatibility of hundreds of thousands of apps on each windows device. Most devs are average ppl who don't have every device in hand to check for bugs and incompatibility issues, which is why regular updates are required to maintain most apps. These updates normally improve incompatibility issues. Also, i would try to contact the dev again just to let them know of the issue. Most devs love that type of feedback, because they want their apps to run smooth across the board, and it may be an issue that they are unaware of. The refund process HAS to get easier though. :)

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I will defiantly have to do that.

Case in point. I just bought a game from Windows Store. I know my device does not have an accelerometer but it has a g-sensor. So games that require an accelerometer like racecar games, I never install. BUT, this game said nothing about accelerometer and also said "Compatible with all Windows 8.1 Enabled Devices". I consider my tablet 8.1 enabled.

Well, the game won't run. Something about DirectX 9.3. But, when I run dxdiag.exe on my tablet, it reports I have DirectX 11. Hmmm...and the error advised me to run Windows Update to update my video card drives. I am indeed running the latest drivers from the Windows Updates.

So now I have to call MS about a refund. Ugghhh...

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Since MKV playback is a concern of mine as well I'd love to know the name of this app so I can keep an eye out for it.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Mobile.hd

Huh, already bought that one and it behaves the exact same way it did during the trial period (which means it still doesn't support DTS and MPEG but other common audio codecs work fine). If it has completely stopped playing audio for the exact same files that worked fine during the trial period, I would tend to suspect something might have gotten borked in the OS itself rather than the dev being a cheat which would have already got the app banned (or at least every buyer would have posted about it while rating the app). Of course, doing a complete reset and then trying the app again might be out of the question for you I suppose?

P.S. On an unrelated note, I tried contacting Dorin Damaschin (mobile.hdmediaplayer@gmail.com) myself some time back regarding some app enhancements but I think he's either abandoned the app or the email address or perhaps both.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Huh, already bought that one and it behaves the exact same way it did during the trial period (which means it still doesn't support DTS and MPEG but other common audio codecs work fine). If it has completely stopped playing audio for the exact same files that worked fine during the trial period, I would tend to suspect something might have gotten borked in the OS itself rather than the dev being a cheat which would have already got the app banned (or at least every buyer would have posted about it while rating the app). Of course, doing a complete reset and then trying the app again might be out of the question for you I suppose?

P.S. On an unrelated note, I tried contacting Dorin Damaschin (mobile.hdmediaplayer@gmail.com) myself some time back regarding some app enhancements but I think he's either abandoned the app or the email address or perhaps both.

Ive tried contacting them too. No luck. I have not tried a refresh because i havent paid for internet for a while now, so i dont want to lose my other apps. I do have data, but i dont want to waste that lol.

Ill try a refresh soon. Maybe it will help?

Unless you meant delete and reinstall the app. Ill try that too!

I hope the app hasnt been abandoned.. As paying for anything with no support is a waste... And i really do like mobile.hd. i prefer to use that over anything else unless VLC makes it soon.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Ill try a refresh soon. Maybe it will help?
Maybe, but I doubt it. Still, no harm in trying it.

Unless you meant delete and reinstall the app. Ill try that too!
Yeah, that's another thing to try (actually, the first thing before you refresh or reset). Final scorched earth option would be to reset the OS completely, but that may or may not be possible for you right now.

I hope the app hasnt been abandoned.. As paying for anything with no support is a waste... And i really do like mobile.hd. i prefer to use that over anything else unless VLC makes it soon.
Who knows how many apps we use have been abandoned? Not all receive regular updates, and anyway there are seldom change logs or even dates given. In this case I went ahead and purchased it because it seemed to (and does, for me) do the job, but I don't harbour any hopes of any improvements or bug fixes given the lack of response to my mails. About VLC, the less said the better.

wookiee2cu

Mar 25, 2005
Visit site
Not sure if there is a reason that you only want to use an app for playing your video files but I use VLC Media Player, download the software and it plays mkv's and all sorts of files and it's free. I've been using it for a few years and never had a problem.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if there is a reason that you only want to use an app for playing your video files but I use VLC Media Player, download the software and it plays mkv's and all sorts of files and it's free. I've been using it for a few years and never had a problem.

Ever thought that the reason he needs an app for MKV playback is because he might own a Windows RT device?

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, i can't do that. I went with a surface 2, so i cannot install VLC. As soon as it hits the store, i will download it. But for the time being... I have to wait.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Answering my main question, i just scoured the Microsoft terms for the windows store, and it claims that it is not their problem if any app doesn't work.

Oh wells.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett