Help me pick a tablet. Asus/Lenovo/acer?

tyjsyr

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
This is my first time buying a tablet. I am not a tech friendly person. Hence I would like to seek a second opinion from you guys. It took me days to pick between android and windows :unhappysweat: and now I totally fried my brain thinking which tablet is better.
These are the option I came up with: Asus vivotab RT/ Smart, Lenovo Thinkpad tablet 2, Acer Iconia W5.
I am looking for a tablet that has :
- at least 64gb memory+mmc/port to add additional memory.
- micro/usb port
- can print documents. my printer is an ancient one (6 y.o), no wifi.
I am a student so I will be using this tablet mainly for Word/ PP/ Excel and internet. If you have suggestion for a tablet other than the one I listed above and in the same price range, feel free to share it.
At first I was considering an android tablet since it's cheaper. But i read comments saying that to print from android device I will have to download an app since polaris office does not have printing option. Is that true?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would also go for the Lenovo.

Other options I would consider would be the similar generation Dell Latitude 10 and its successor, the Venue 11 Pro.

I would not choose the RT because printer support may not be as great since RT tablets are kinda in a twilight zone. While a near carbon copy of normal Windows, its hardware means most legacy programs will not be compatible including many older printer drivers. On the plus side, the chance of virus infection is pretty much zero. However, with a little bit of common sense, you'll be perfectly safe on normal Windows.
for my needs, RT is just fine, as I'm trialing a Surface RT and writing this post on one. but i don't think it'll be the best decision for you.

Android printing is not something as simple as Windows I would think.

tyjsyr

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
My budget is AU$500. Here a brand new Venue 11 cost AU$799(64gb) & AU$999(128gb). A local shop near my college has a sale on Thinkpad 2 32gb (AU$299). Is refurbished item on ebay safe to buy? I'am thinking of getting refurbished venue 11 from ebay.

Last edited:

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
So it may be too late - but I figured others may read this thread looking for advice.

I would choose, because I did choose, the Nokia Lumia 2520 with the Power Keyboard. This Tablet is perfect for students because it comes with LTE so you have Internet wherever you are. It comes with Microsoft Office Student Edition. Has a wonderful browser. It does have some software glitches but there are work arounds.

If you want to stay with Intel, then go with Dell Venue Pro. It's a great option and does everything you need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes