Can Someone PLease Give Me Laptop Advice and Suggestions

Cory Weston

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Looking for a new laptop for school and to do some gaming. My budget is no more than 899. I need something powerful and that I can handle video editing. Something comparable to the Macbook Pro since this is what film school suggests me use. I was looking at the Dell XPS 13 but not sure if that fits the build of what I need. A friend of mine suggested an Alienware. But both are slightly outside of my price range. Like I said I need something that is comparable to the Macbook Pro in terms of power and the ability to handle video editing and something that can run games like Outlast and The Sims 4 on occasion but it will mostly be used for editing. Is the Dell XPS 13 a good choice? Should I go with something else? Is Alienware a good brand and reliable? I have read they have overheating issues but not sure how true that is. If you any other brand suggestions that would work for me. Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I like the Dell XPS 13 (non-touchscreen model). If I was in a position to need a Windows notebook, it would be that. (I currently have an iMac and 11" Macbook Air as my primary computers)

The larger question is with regard to your film school's recommendation. Did they recommend an MBP because of the specs/horsepower or because of the software (running on OSX)?

I always recommend that people buy a separate gaming device rather than buy a gaming notebook/computer. You pay a premium for such a computer and will fall behind relatively shortly in the ability to play games. (would still be fine for productivity)

Cory Weston

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I like the Dell XPS 13 (non-touchscreen model). If I was in a position to need a Windows notebook, it would be that. (I currently have an iMac and 11" Macbook Air as my primary computers)

The larger question is with regard to your film school's recommendation. Did they recommend an MBP because of the specs/horsepower or because of the software (running on OSX)?

I always recommend that people buy a separate gaming device rather than buy a gaming notebook/computer. You pay a premium for such a computer and will fall behind relatively shortly in the ability to play games. (would still be fine for productivity)

The software used for the class is on both Mac and Windows so I would assume it is because of the spec/horsepower. The Macbook Pro is outside of my price range unless I get more back in my Fin Aid refund then I am expecting too. Thanks for the reply.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The software used for the class is on both Mac and Windows so I would assume it is because of the spec/horsepower. The Macbook Pro is outside of my price range unless I get more back in my Fin Aid refund then I am expecting too. Thanks for the reply.
I think that a MBP is overkill and they're overrated for most of what people use them for. I've owned 3 15.4" MBP's in the past. I do video editing post-production on a base 11" MBA (4GB RAM/128GB storage) and it handles the task fine... though the 11.6" screen can be a bit cramped for those purposes.

Between Best Buy's .edu discount opportunities and frequent sales on Macbook Airs, you should be able to find a 13" MBA for the same price as the i5 Dell XPS. Something to consider.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion