Backup help, please...

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't seem to have done this right the last time....
After a lot of time spent figuring out problems with activation, getting a working stock version of my tablet, I am finally back at the closest thing to a completely clean version of my Dell Venue 8 Pro with all my settings, signed in, etc. What is the hands down, best way to create a recovery drive to bring me back to THIS exact state of Win8.1 at any time in the future regardless of what happens to the tablet from now on?

Thanks!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
But I have an adapter to use the microusb slot with a standard USB drive.
And thank you for looking up that site. 

You could try using the control panel option you will need to go to:
system & security -> file history -> wait for list to populate -> bottom left corner "system image back up" -> create system image on left hand side.

Under hard disk you have the option of choosing a removable drive, it may not allow you to use it unless you flip the "removable bit". In laymen's terms makes the O/S think it is a fixed hard drive not a removable drive.

USB Powered Gadgets and more.. ? Flip Your Bit USB Utility To Make Local Drive

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
You could try using the control panel option you will need to go to:
system & security -> file history -> wait for list to populate -> bottom left corner "system image back up" -> create system image on left hand side.
Under hard disk you have the option of choosing a removable drive, it may not allow you to use it unless you flip the "removable bit". In laymen's terms makes the O/S think it is a fixed hard drive not a removable drive.
USB Powered Gadgets and more.. ? Flip Your Bit USB Utility To Make Local Drive
Wow, interesting. I didn't think this would be so complicated. I assumed one could just do a recovery drive through Win8.1 to a USB drive and then just load it up one day in the future.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Wow, interesting. I didn't think this would be so complicated. I assumed one could just do a recovery drive through Win8.1 to a USB drive and then just load it up one day in the future.

Lol, it's really not that complicated.

USB sticks have a read / write life cycle just like ssds and sd cards hence why it is not allowed by design - in the event these fail, you're screwed :).

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Lol, it's really not that complicated.
USB sticks have a read / write life cycle just like ssds and sd cards hence why it is not allowed by design - in the event these fail, you're screwed :).
Ok. So, what is the MS backup to USB flash drive option in Windows 8.1 on the tablet?

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
If use the steps in the previous post, you will be fine :) and in case you need more info:
How to Back Up Your Windows 8 Tablet - For Dummies
Via a quick bing search with "back up a tablet to usb", it was the first link lol.
Thanks again. I know, it's just I did this search last time and ended up with a backup that didn't work. Wouldn't read the USB flash drive at all even though it conformed to UEFI standards. So, I thought I'd ask because I thought I had probably done something wrong.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again. I know, it's just I did this search last time and ended up with a backup that didn't work. Wouldn't read the USB flash drive at all even though it conformed to UEFI standards. So, I thought I'd ask because I thought I had probably done something wrong.

Try the removable bit trick and post back with what happens :).

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Try the removable bit trick and post back with what happens :).
Ok, I'll make an image that way except I don't have any energy left to go through this whole recovery again. :grin: I finally got it running again, it was a massive problem. Wouldn't activate no matter what. So I'm not too eager to create an image and then try recovering from it. But I am curious about the removable bit trick. So, the idea is that because Win 8.1 likes recovering from an external HDD over flash storage, it tricks Windows into thinking your USB drive is an external or internal HDD and therefore never has problems recovering?
There's a guy on here named xandros who has been sharing his recovery image with people trying to recover their Dell Venue 8 Pros like mine .I can't get a hold of him but I wish I knew how he made that one because I've used it before and it worked fine.
Also, I read over the documentation about Dell's Recovery using their built-in software. All it does is create you a raw 8.1 version of the stock install on the tablet. It doesn't save you an image of where your tablet is right now. So, I guess that Dell one isn't what I'm looking for. I've always heard of people keeping images backed up of their systems in perfect states and not having ever done it before, I guess I thought it best to start now with this tablet.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'll make an image that way except I don't have any energy left to go through this whole recovery again. :grin:

Haha, I don't blame you.
I finally got it running again, it was a massive problem. Wouldn't activate no matter what. So I'm not too eager to create an image and then try recovering from it.

Ah that sucks :(, I don't have the tablet so don't know what else to suggest..
But I am curious about the removable bit trick. So, the idea is that because Win 8.1 likes recovering from an external HDD over flash storage, it tricks Windows into thinking your USB drive is an external or internal HDD and therefore never has problems recovering?

Correct :) but I wouldn't say it will be 100% full proof however things can always go awry last minute.
There's a guy on here named xandros who has been sharing his recovery image with people trying to recover their Dell Venue 8 Pros like mine .I can't get a hold of him but I wish I knew how he made that one because I've used it before and it worked fine.

I did a quick search and the image you speaking off would really be recovery image to get back to factory settings :). It won't restore it to the current state of the tablet :).

Also, I read over the documentation about Dell's Recovery using their built-in software. All it does is create you a raw 8.1 version of the stock install on the tablet. It doesn't save you an image of where your tablet is right now. So, I guess that Dell one isn't what I'm looking for. I've always heard of people keeping images backed up of their systems in perfect states and not having ever done it before, I guess I thought it best to start now with this tablet.

Well the other solution is clone the entire hard drive, but that wouldn't really help unless you popped upon the tablet and replaced the flash storage :) with the cloned hard drive. If you don't want to do the removable bit trick then I would advise you to get a external hard drive :).

Edit: Found it, had to use "Simplified WIMBoot tabletpcreview" those are the terms he used in a forum post, it was oddly on page 4 in the search list lol. I believe what you need is at the bottom of the tutorial linked below.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/simplified-wimboot-dell-venue-8-pro-guide.63032/

orlando_rueda

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys I have a nextbook fkexx 11 which has Intel graphics chipset HD 4000. Immediately upon connection to Visio TV via HDMI it bluescreens pointing to isstrtc.sys and the system restart i dont know what happend , can u help me with this situation please ?

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I have a nextbook fkexx 11 which has Intel graphics chipset HD 4000. Immediately upon connection to Visio TV via HDMI it bluescreens pointing to isstrtc.sys and the system restart i dont know what happend , can u help me with this situation please ?
You're going to have a better chance for help finding the forum for your device and beginning your own thread.

SofiaAsif

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
This Answer for All Recovery Comments, Who has simply using USB or SD Memory Card which use in personal tablet and easily recover personal files/pictures as well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven