Dell or Hp. Which is good?

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello guys,
I'm bit confused with these laptop brands.
For now I want to buy a good laptop for my brother for studying purpose.

I want to buy a good one with latest specs at affordable price.

Help me to choose specs :
-Intel i5 processor (4/6 gen?) ,
-4/8 gb Ram ,
-1tb HDD(5400/7200/7400 RPM?),
-BETTER Battery backup more than 5 hrs
-1/2 gb NVIDIA gCard
That's all!!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,
I'm bit confused with these laptop brands.
For now I want to buy a good laptop for my brother for studying purpose.

I want to buy a good one with latest specs at affordable price.

Can you expand on what kind of studies? This will help in understanding what you need.

For example if it is business or commerce, you won't be running complex software and so 4GB RAM is enough
However, if it's for architecture, then there's software life autocad. You'll not only need 8GB RAM but good graphics card and a medium to large screen (15-17inches)

For any studying purpose, I don't see the need for 1TB storage. 500GB is enough and 5400rpm is good enough for studying purposes. High speed hard drives will add cost without any real benefit

6th gen intel processor is better at energy efficiency so you should try for that. If not available, then 5th gen

When checking for the laptop, see if it has a 4 cell or 6 cell battery. The 6 cell will give longer battery life

Touchscreens aren't needed as they unnecessarily drain battery

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Can you expand on what kind of studies? This will help in understanding what you need.
Thanks for sharing this.

Actually he is doing his last year training in Bachelor of Engg. in Computer Science & Engineering.

I also take care it'll further need for his future use.

And which brand and model . Suggest please.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this.

Actually he is doing .net in his last semester of Bachelor of Engg. In Computer Science & Engineering.

I also take care that it'll further need for his future use.

In that case, engineering is what I do

Large laptop is better, anything from 14-17inch. 4GB RAM is enough for the compiling and such. You don't need a lot of storage but he could use a nice keyboard for ease of typing. Island style keyboard is better and if you can get backlit, that would be nice

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
And
He also like to play video games and doing editing for designing front-end web pages. Is 1gb gCard is suitable??

Or tell me the model

Last edited:

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've always liked HP laptops, all the service & maintenance guides are free to download from the HP website. Very handy once your out of warranty coverage or want to upgrade ram etc.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And on the contrary, I was never a big fan of HP.

Between small things like sticking power buttons and broken bay doors on desktops to loose hinges on my Mini and my sister's dv2000's death-by-thermal-design I'm not particularly keen on it.

and then there was the webOS mishandling.

There's a lot of things you can choose from. Of course everyone wants the best specs for lowest price but there's a lot more decisions that go into a PC.

Prepare for tradeoffs.

I highly recommend business class PCs like ThinkPads (Lenovo), Latitudes (Dell) and even Elitebook of HP fame.

Lighter more normal web browsing? 4 GB of RAM is fine.
Heavier CAD, virtual machines, recent fancy games, multitasking (as in more than usual)? 8 GB probably is best.

I highly recommend an SSD over a hard drive.

He'll probably want a discrete graphics card, not the Intel HD type stuff.

Then there's smaller features. I got my PC because I wanted a durable smaller 2-in-1 hybrid with pen support. Came with last-gen internals and I had to give up the discrete graphics for the pen but it works just fine for me.
Some are easier to repair than others, etc.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
+1 on the Latitude and Precision models from Dell.

If you want an absolute reliability and a longevity, you need to go for a full sized business laptop.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I've had two HP laptops and they both been. Very reliable for me. Dell I won't ever try again unless it's free....dell customer service killed it for me along with poor hardware choices at the time.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Both Dell and HP seem to have got their act together recently, but see if Microsoft sell Signature Edition PCs in India.

Signature PCs are sold by Microsoft themselves and come without unnecessary software added, just Windows 10 and all the drivers needed by the hardware, t's a much better experience.

Here in the UK for instance, the Microsoft Store sells HP Envy PCs with 6th generation i5 processors in 13", 15" and 17" screens.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft won't be selling signature edition PCs in India any time soon.

Also, I think HP is generally better nowadays. Dell doesn't offer most of the choices offered abroad. I'm thoroughly unimpressed by the Inspiron 3000 and 5000 series. HP's Pavilion on the other Hand has some interesting products for a reasonable price (₹40,000-₹50,000), or the more expensive envy (₹80,000-₹1,20,000) series. I don't think the Spectre is either needed or good for engineering.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
At this point. I'd go with the Dell XPS series of laptops. While they do run a bit more expensive, they are supposed to have excellent build quality, amazing battery life, and basically fill in all your requirements. Granted it does run at over 1000 dollars which might not fall under the "affordable" moniker. The Dell Insprion 15 gaming series also fills in all the requirements, but at a cheaper price. Granted that does come with what reviewers have said is a lower quality keyboard and track pad, and just worse build quality. In this case both the models I have listed come with 960m graphics chips, and have a 6th gen Intel processor.

Shahreen Hussain

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I've never tried HP but all my Dell laptops had lots of problems. They always had to be replaced or I had to spend a lot of money to fix them. I would go with HP.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had 3 Dell Latitude laptops, and the lid hinges have broken on all of them. The charging port shorted out on one and it cannot be recharged. The screen startup boards have quit on two of them, and one display panel failed completely.

Needless to say, I won't be buying any more Dells. I've had very good experiences with 2 Lenovo Yogas though.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never tried HP but all my Dell laptops had lots of problems. They always had to be replaced or I had to spend a lot of money to fix them. I would go with HP.

On the contrary, everything HP the family has owned has had some major or annoying issue pop up (desktops to laptops - but okay fine) while Dell's haven't been too much of a pain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire