I simply don't know what Laptop to buy (advanced Engineering stuff). Please help!

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Here's what I need. I am looking for a laptop with really good processor and probably also a graphics card, for engineering applications. I am not really sure whether I need a discrete graphics card or not.

So,
  • Nothing other than i5 or i7. Not sure what I need, but I suppose i5 is enough...
  • Touchscreen, preferably note-take-able with a stylus...
  • Decent trackpad...

I am in India, so prices are on average much higher than US prices, say about 30% higher, because of the taxes. I don't want to spend more than $1800 including all the taxes, which means, $1300 or so in US prices. However, if I import the Surface Book, the cost would be lesser (because of less tax for personal use), however I can only afford the basic model (the $1450 one).

What do I get?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a fan of the ThinkPad Yoga. the 12 model has a pen and the 15 model has discrete graphics. (question is, will you be working with fancy 3D objects like gaming or CAD?)

I couldn't afford the current Yoga so I went with the original model - so you may have luck as well buying refurbished or even barely used.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
There's no reliable place to buy refurbished stuff in India. Amazon doesn't sell them.

Anyway, what about the Surface Pro 4? Is that good enough to be a standalone PC for Engineering stuff?

I might not game too much, but a bit of CAD, yeah.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by KSGx12
There's no reliable place to buy refurbished stuff in India. Amazon doesn't sell them.

Anyway, what about the Surface Pro 4? Is that good enough to be a standalone PC for Engineering stuff?

I might not game too much, but a bit of CAD, yeah.

I would think so for general purposes, spreadsheets, and math - if you're going to be doing a lot of CAD, you might want to pick a device with a dedicated Quadro video card though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss