I need a Windows machine...and here is my budget...

Beantool

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Let me just start by saying that I am a self-proclaimed Windows/Microsoft ******. I've always used Windows for the PC. I practically live on my Xbox. And I constantly switch my SIM between my Lumia 1520 and 1020. I'm going to be coming into a little bit of money here in a few weeks and would really like to use part of it to expand my Microsoft tech ownership. I know that I'm getting the Band 2. If I keep my 1520 (hoping that most of W10M great features will work on it) and don't spring for the 950, then I will have about $800 left to spend on a Windows tablet/laptop of some kind. My only stipulation is that I want something that can be used as a tablet but comes pretty close of PC capabilities. Let's say I just waltz into Best Buy to pick up my Band 2...what's the best Windows machine to be had at that price point?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You should really ask this question in the right forum section (Windows 10), the "ask a question" section here isn't just for everything that ends in a question mark (it's here for people who want help quickly).

For that price, I'd get a reconditioned Surface Pro, of the best spec that you can reasonably afford.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Let me just start by saying that I am a self-proclaimed Windows/Microsoft ******. I've always used Windows for the PC. I practically live on my Xbox. And I constantly switch my SIM between my Lumia 1520 and 1020. I'm going to be coming into a little bit of money here in a few weeks and would really like to use part of it to expand my Microsoft tech ownership. I know that I'm getting the Band 2. If I keep my 1520 (hoping that most of W10M great features will work on it) and don't spring for the 950, then I will have about $800 left to spend on a Windows tablet/laptop of some kind. My only stipulation is that I want something that can be used as a tablet but comes pretty close of PC capabilities. Let's say I just waltz into Best Buy to pick up my Band 2...what's the best Windows machine to be had at that price point?

Surface 3 pro or surface 3, either should be great.

Beantool

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
You should really ask this question in the right forum section (Windows 10), the "ask a question" section here isn't just for everything that ends in a question mark (it's here for people who want help quickly).

For that price, I'd get a reconditioned Surface Pro, of the best spec that you can reasonably afford.

Then they really ought to rename this board "Get Help Quickly," so that noobs such as myself won't think that its just a general place to throw any question out there. And I'd really rather buy something locally. I wonder if Best Buy still sells the SP3...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If you're willing to look at other brands the Acer Switch Alpha can be had for $749 at Microcenter if there's one near you; core i5, 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD, keyboard included.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna say that "best Windows machine" is pretty subjective.

Somewhere between 1-2 years ago I got a 2014 ThinkPad Yoga for about the same amount of money as your budget. I got it because it ticked the most boxes of what I wanted in a computer. (something compact, a hybrid with pen input, 8 GB of RAM, 200+ SSD storage, mostly modern chips, easier to repair, durable...) I had to go last generation though to fit the loadout I wanted in the budget I had though.

A Surface Pro of some generation is going to be favored because Surface but I would balk at it because of its sheer unrepairability and tablet-first form-factor. (Which isn't bad, I just prefer a hybrid thats laptop first.)

It's the de facto tablet-that-can-give-a-laptop-a-run-for-it's-money though.
Looks like an entry-level Surface Pro 4 can fit, but don't forget the cover.

Dell had some nice Venue tablets but I don't know the state of their current lineup.

I just looked at Best Buy's website and it looks like Surface is the only easy-to-recommend tablet-first PC in the hybrid lineup.
I'm not a fan of HP but they do have tablets for sale at various price points.
Lenovo has the Miix.

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Then they really ought to rename this board "Get Help Quickly," so that noobs such as myself won't think that its just a general place to throw any question out there. And I'd really rather buy something locally. I wonder if Best Buy still sells the SP3...

Do not buy the Surface 3 the CPU is the Quad-core Intel Atom x7-Z8700 processor and is a piece of crap.
The pro 4 is intel based i3 low cost but a good CPU. The i5 great and is a bargain for what it can achieve. The i7 is way overpriced.
You will need 4GB of RAM for windows 10

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
If you're willing to look at other brands the Acer Switch Alpha can be had for $749 at Microcenter if there's one near you; core i5, 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD, keyboard included.

That is worth looking at.

How about Continuum
A few good devices out now. The HP elite x3?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos