Dell Venue 8 or other tablet run a x86 program?

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a need to run my business contact management/database program on a highly portable device like a 8 to 10 inch tablet if at all possible. I do not want to carry around a heavy/bulky/not quick to turn on and access laptop or notebook. So a tablet would be great for my situation.

I run a small business and use a program called Sage Business Works software. I just need to be able to run it totally offline and as a contact management and data inquiry device as I take phone orders while in car or away from my office.

I was wondering if there is a tablet type device that I could install and run my software. It would have to install from a cd to usb connection via some sort of dongle if I could actually install and run this program on a tablet.

Im probably leaving out many details here as to what is possible with this older x86 program's possibility of running this way, but please help me figure out what possibilities I may have. I just do not want to carry around a large device like a netbook/laptop.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Theoretically you can do what you need on an 8+" Windows tablet as long as it isn't the older "RT" kind which isn't common today. The market was flooded with 8" tablets capable of full Windows and x86 programs a couple years ago so tablets like the ThinkPad 8, Venue 8 Pro, Vivotab Note 8, etc will all work. The potential issue is just how the software you need will adapt to the significantly smaller screen than usual. Worth noting I'm not sure those tablets can power a CD drive on their own. Using an ISO image of that CD may be necessary.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a external hard drive box that I can put a cd player in and have it output with a normal USB connection.

Yes you are correct about how the program may scale on a 8 inch screen. Maybe a 10 inch table could be more suitable if this is the case. The software is pretty basic and the UI is very simple and boxy in design. So I think it may work with scaling issues. Its just how small wording would appear on it. I would defiantly need a stylus for this use.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I ended up buying a 12' Lenovo Thinkpad x201 in great shape for $135. I will have to just deal with the weight....but now I have much better productivity and power.

I always wanted a think pad......now I have a piece of history to run my old x89 accounting data base software on the go.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I ended up buying a 12' Lenovo Thinkpad x201 in great shape for $135. I will have to just deal with the weight....but now I have much better productivity and power.

I always wanted a think pad......now I have a piece of history to run my old x89 accounting data base software on the go.

If looking for a workhorse on a budget, you can't go wrong with an older ThinkPad!

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Quick update.....now after having the Thinkpad x201 setup for a few days.......I feel I made a solid decision to get this over any tablet/mobile device. Though I would of liked having something somewhat lighter to carry around in my backpack......the raw power and functionality more than out-weighs the portability and weight of a tablet device.

I'm very happy I went in this direction with a small laptop. Typing is key for me and that is probably something that would just erk me to no ends tapping out words/sentences with an onscreen keyboard. Also the flexibility of all the ports helps my situation immensely. I had 3 flash drives sitting in the usb ports to access various data to setup the laptop.....things like this just cemented my choice and also the $135 price tag.

Only thing I really need to do is eventually replace the battery. Not expensive at all and only a formality that was more than eclipsed by over all performance and production ability.

Frans van Bellen

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
Just checking to see if I understand this correctly: a tablet running Windows 10 is able to run all "regular" desktop software, as long as the processor/memory/etc are up to the task?

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I had to chuckle when OP said he bought a Thinkpad when he was originally asking for something highly portable, like an 8 or 10 inch tablet.

My workplace gives us Thinkpads to use at home, god I hate them with a passion. They're huge, heavy, blocky, and slowwwwww. What's worse is you can't easily upgrade the HDD to an SSD because they're encrypted, you'll have to beg your IT department to get an SSD and encrypt it for you. Every laptop I've ever owned has run circles around my work's Thinkpads, but that's because I take the time to uprgrade the RAM and SSD and pick out a processor that isn't 4 generations old.

Anyways I digress, there's lots of cheap portable 8 and 10 inch Windows 10 tablets out there right now.

HP Envy 8 for $200

ASUS Transformer Book T100HA for $250

Or if you're just looking for a cheap portable laptop

ASUS E200HA for $200

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had to chuckle when OP said he bought a Thinkpad when he was originally asking for something highly portable, like an 8 or 10 inch tablet.

My workplace gives us Thinkpads to use at home, god I hate them with a passion. They're huge, heavy, blocky, and slowwwwww. What's worse is you can't easily upgrade the HDD to an SSD because they're encrypted, you'll have to beg your IT department to get an SSD and encrypt it for you. Every laptop I've ever owned has run circles around my work's Thinkpads, but that's because I take the time to uprgrade the RAM and SSD and pick out a processor that isn't 4 generations old.

Anyways I digress, there's lots of cheap portable 8 and 10 inch Windows 10 tablets out there right now.

HP Envy 8 for $200

ASUS Transformer Book T100HA for $250

Or if you're just looking for a cheap portable laptop

ASUS E200HA for $200

To be fair the X series is on the smaller side.

On the flip side, I'm a ThinkPad fan. They won't win thinness awards but they're solid workhorses. (and with specs all over the place like any other computer lineup so being slow and not being able to upgrade is a failing on the part of your IT department. I've swapped out a hard drive for an SSD on my ThinkPad and back.)

To be fair, it sounds like the blame is on your IT department, there's more factors at play than raw speed. (like cost, repairability, etc.)

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
To be fair the X series is on the smaller side.

On the flip side, I'm a ThinkPad fan. They won't win thinness awards but they're solid workhorses. (and with specs all over the place like any other computer lineup so being slow and not being able to upgrade is a failing on the part of your IT department. I've swapped out a hard drive for an SSD on my ThinkPad and back.)

To be fair, it sounds like the blame is on your IT department, there's more factors at play than raw speed. (like cost, repairability, etc.)

Any working PC is a solid workhorse. Ugh I just hate Thinkpads, I know it's a subjective opinion but I really do hate them. They're bland, generic, boxy with sharp edges, thick, heavy, with crappy TN panels, terrible speakers, and terrible battery life. And my workplace orders them by the hundreds, so of course they're going to order in bulk and choose the cheapest configuration possible. The little red nub/mouse is useless too, why even bother having it if you've already got a mouse or a trackpad, ugh. Everything about the Thinkpad just screams corporate, they have no soul, every personal laptop I've ever owned has been so much nicer to use.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Surprisingly enough, I'd reccomemd checking out Walmart's RCAs and Nextbooks.

https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/...et-2-64GB-Intel-Quad-Core-Windows-10/47055697
https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/...3735G-Quad-Core-Processor-Windows-10/46664254
https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/...ndows-10-Blue-2-in-1-Notebook-Tablet/45804385

I have a RCA Cambio W101 V2, and while it is definitely not comparable to a laptop with an i7 and a performance SSD, the processor it has (and that the others I linked to share) is still pretty decent and can handle everything I've thrown at it - even if it does chug a little at times. Just pop in a 64Gb-128GB MicroSD and you're gold.

They are $100-$160 systems, so I'd recommend you just try and see if it works, and return it if it doesn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers