Any laptops out there WITHOUT Windows 10?

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much decided on this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2R...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3621585

It's plenty for me plus I have an extra 256GB Corsair SSD I can add in.
Maybe I'll go for extra RAM down the line.

That looks similar to an older Acer I had (Acer V5-571G). Those are really awesome laptops. If you're swapping out the drive I will warn warn you to get some blue screw locker because once you loosen the screws they won't stay tightened without it and if you over tighten them you will wreck the frame. Learned that from experience when I destroyed mine. Still best laptop I ever had.

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
I might get lynched for saying this, but I say go for Win 10. It's less of a hassle than Win 8, and if you go through all the privacy settings carefully, you should be fine in that regard. Sticking with Win 7, and getting a new machine only to install Win 7 on it, are two different things. Support is supposed to end by 2020 I believe. So it actually would be a step back.

My guess is that if you were even remotely comfortable with the idea of using Linux you wouldn't even be asking this question. At least not on, you know, Windows... Central.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I need a new laptop, but I don't want Windows 10. Windows 8 is bad enough. Are there any laptops out there that don't have Windows 10?

Hey thepittsmn. Yes there definitely are. The one i currently use is from a fairly small company called Apple. It runs Mac OS. its quite... (I'm joking haha)

I think you will be hard pressed to find a NEW laptop without Windows 10. Even a budget laptop like the DELL Inspiron 14" 3000 has Windows 10. As @Guytronic said, your best bet would be to explore the 'Referb' and second hand area if you looking for a laptop with Windows 7. Its a really old OS at this point but i personally still love it. :D

Tim-ANC

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I might get lynched for saying this, but I say go for Win 10. It's less of a hassle than Win 8, and if you go through all the privacy settings carefully, you should be fine in that regard. Sticking with Win 7, and getting a new machine only to install Win 7 on it, are two different things. Support is supposed to end by 2020 I believe. So it actually would be a step back.

My guess is that if you were even remotely comfortable with the idea of using Linux you wouldn't even be asking this question. At least not on, you know, Windows... Central.

I agree. Much easier to kill the annoyances on Win10 vs Win8.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site

Some of us have no choice. I'm facing that dilemma myself at my office. We have our main software, a custom app which does not work on Win10, so we have no choice but to buy Win10 computers and downgrade them to Win7. Or we have to rely donations of Win7 PCs from other departments within the city.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Some of us have no choice. I'm facing that dilemma myself at my office. We have our main software, a custom app which does not work on Win10, so we have no choice but to buy Win10 computers and downgrade them to Win7. Or we have to rely donations of Win7 PCs from other departments within the city.
I'd be concerned about your software not getting any further support in case something else that was unexpected breaks it. I don't know what it is off hand so I can't give a precise example.

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
I actually faced a similar problem with a DOS application that I was using at Uni; an EM simulator. The problem was not that it was DOS, but apparently, that it was programmed on an obsolete architecture. So it would render results that were entirely nonsensical on the brand spanking new WinXP machines we were using at the time. I mentioned this during an interview for a job at MS when the topic of backwards compatibility was brought up.

pkcable's problem might be that the developer vanished into thin air since the last version.

On the topic of XP, I noticed that for a while after support ended, one bank's ATMs still used it (in fact until now). Glad I got my money outta there. Generally enterprises are bound to have a much slower upgrade path, and I assume that IT teams have plenty of Win 7 (or whatever ancient OS) licenses handy to maintain the status quo for as long as possible. A family member still uses Office 2003 because he doesn't want to lose the macros he toiled over. I say unless your back is against the wall, if you love it set it free and embrace the new.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I'd be concerned about your software not getting any further support in case something else that was unexpected breaks it. I don't know what it is off hand so I can't give a precise example.

Of course this is a concern, and I for one would LOVE to get it updated, BUT.......

I actually faced a similar problem with a DOS application that I was using at Uni; an EM simulator. The problem was not that it was DOS, but apparently, that it was programmed on an obsolete architecture. So it would render results that were entirely nonsensical on the brand spanking new WinXP machines we were using at the time. I mentioned this during an interview for a job at MS when the topic of backwards compatibility was brought up.

pkcable's problem might be that the developer vanished into thin air since the last version.

On the topic of XP, I noticed that for a while after support ended, one bank's ATMs still used it (in fact until now). Glad I got my money outta there. Generally enterprises are bound to have a much slower upgrade path, and I assume that IT teams have plenty of Win 7 (or whatever ancient OS) licenses handy to maintain the status quo for as long as possible. A family member still uses Office 2003 because he doesn't want to lose the macros he toiled over. I say unless your back is against the wall, if you love it set it free and embrace the new.

Well they ARE still around, but who knows for how long, they are a smaller vendor. Additionally we are a gov't agency with budget constraints, and the price quoted (well talked about) for bringing the app up to Win10 compatibility was just too much for us to bear at this time. We are looking at budgeting for fiscal 2018/2019 AND we may just replace the whole system. THAT decision has not been made yet, and is partially out of our hands, as their is a statewide agency involved also that may help with funding, etc.

HOW did I let us get so far off track LOL!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I highly recommend looking for an older, higher end, ThinkPad that came preloaded with Windows 7 (this ensures that performance will be well balanced and that device drivers exist and optimized for the OS).

They are built like a tank (I just bought a T42 off eBay, perfect condition, $23), parts are still available, and software support still exists.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Most laptops will have windows 10 on them now so you would be looking for a laptop with a downgrade license or if you are really hard pressed you will most likely have to purchase a ODM / system builder license.

Unless you are not fussed and willing to purchase second hand.

Personally bar the flaws in Windows 10 it is substantially more hardware efficient and not too mention you don't have access to direct x 12 so there is that if you're a gamer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte