Powering a notebook off grid?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know of a good solution to get a solid 24 to 30 hours on a notebook without access to AC.

Are there any external batteries or mobile chargers that don't cost an arm and a leg that could guarantee lots of extra screen time in the wild?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I got off the top of my head...

- 12 V DC > 120 V AC adapter for the car
- Extra batteries, although that'll probably take 5+ medium-sized packs at $15-20 a pop for an older laptop I have lying around. (Lasts maybe 4 hours on a pack of moderate age)
- Some DIY solution jerry-rigging something together with parts from China.

All the fancy solar stuff seem's pretty pricey.

Honestly, I don't think I've come up with anything you haven't thought of already though. What kind of mobility, terrain constraints are we looking at so far? Something you can stick in a backpack, truck bed, next to a secluded cabin?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
What kind of mobility, terrain constraints are we looking at so far? Something you can stick in a backpack, truck bed, next to a secluded cabin?

Mmmmm...
One scenario:

Powering a telescope with notebook all night at a secluded location such as Great Basin nat'l park in Nevada.
Using the notebook to position the scope to find stuff in the sky with software.
The notebook needs to run always on for about 6 hours.

I've seen people use car batteries and small 200 watt inverters out there.
Hauling a car battery, scope, tripod and notebook on foot up a hill isn't a whole lot of fun by myself.
Guess I could get a trail cart for everything.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If I had to do that myself, I would probably consider starting with a laptop with a removable battery and as long life on one pack as I can. (I know some push 10-ish hours?) Maybe like an older ThinkPad X-series that measures up. (since we're on a budget here)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99