Surface Pro for artist/student?

annathy

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm about to start my freshman year of college and am looking for a good device that will last me as many of my college years as possible. I'll need it for notetaking in class, homework assignments, etc., as well as Photoshop and illustrative/art programs for drawing & graphic design.

Currently I'm looking at the Microsoft Surface 3, which seems to be the most affordable option that covers what I'm looking for. However, from the reviews that say it's laggy and has poor battery life, I'm not sure it will last me very long or be worth the investment. So I'm considering spending more and getting Microsoft Surface Pro 3 instead, or even the Pro 4 if I absolutely need to. I'm just not sure what what will be right for my needs.

On the one hand, I don't need a high-end device for business or intense video editing, gaming, etc. So I really don't think I should need the 4 or higher. But on the other hand, like I said, I *do* need something that will serve as basic laptop and that will last.

Final note - I'm not set on Microsoft Surface necessarily, and would be open to other brands or options. (e.g., An iPad looked good for art/design, but doesn't run full Photoshop.)

Thanks very much for any suggestions/tips!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Take a look at the HP Spectre x2. It's a more affordable alternative to Microsoft's Surface line if you're set on a tablet running full Windows. I love my Surface Pro 4 but, as you said, money is an issue here. The Surface Pro 3 could still make a fantastic option but what you have to remember is that the Pro 3 is over two years old at this point. No matter what, you're looking a reduced lifetime for those devices, and if you're looking for something to last you as long as possible you should get something new. A refurbished Pro 3 would be great, but longevity is questionable. A Pro 4 would be more expensive, but higher quality (better pen experience, better battery life, better performance). I believe the Spectre might be a good compromise for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234