Please help me choose a tablet

Drew Neilson

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I probably need to buy a new tablet soon for use as my primary (and only) PC. I need some suggestions.
Some of the things that are most important to me: I'm kind of a borderline audiophile and videophile, so I want a device with a great screen and great sound. It would be awesome to have a tablet with:
- a 120 Hz screen (for 24p video content without 2:3 pulldown).
- a screen with HDR. IIRC, there is a certification called Mobile HDR Premium or something like that but I don't know if that includes 120 Hz (probably not).
- I don't plan on watching movies as often as I plan on watching TV shows. I've probably only watched one movie in the last several months, but I binge watch TV shows.
- A great internal audio chip, if it is possible to tell the difference between internal audio chips when decent headphones are connected. I've heard of audio bit depths of 24 and 32, and sample rates of 192 kHz and higher (I've not heard these higher bit depths and sample rates personally, but I've heard OF them). I don't have an audiophile-grade headset or speakers, nor do I have a golden ear, but I have good equipment, and I appreciate good sound. I love that Windows 10 includes virtual surround sound over headphones, though the HRTF needs improvement. I'll ask this question about internal audio chips on head-fi.org and possibly also avsforum.com and link to it here.
- I'm not expecting great internal speakers, and most of the time I'll either be using a headset or external speakers.
- I wish I didn't have to make a trade-off between performance and battery life, but I'm interested in Windows Mixed Reality Ultra. I tried the demo at my local Microsoft Store, and was thrilled. But I might decide to jettison that and get a tablet with long battery life, and instead do Mixed Reality on an Xbox One, when Mixed Reality is made to work on Xbox One. Reason: the system recommendations for Windows Mixed Reality Ultra are probably directly opposite what would provide better battery life.
- I can't imagine using Windows Mixed Reality while away from home, so I guess I could have a tablet for use while I'm away from home, and perhaps use Windows Mixed Reality with an Xbox One at home. I already have an Xbox One S, but I've been told that Mixed Reality might require an Xbox One X, if /when it is made compatible with Xbox One.

Drew Neilson

May 30, 2015
Visit site
- It HAS to have built-in LTE. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. That is one of the most important things, because one of the places I'll use it is at the gym, and watch TV shows while working out on their exercise machines. The gym has wifi, but it is too slow sometimes for streaming video. Therefore I want built-in LTE and I'll just stream using an unlimited data plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6