Windows Tablet for Non-Techie

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Howdy.

My eldest sister has an old iPad that is dying, and she hates it anyway. She would prefer replacing it with a Windows tablet. She really only uses her tablet for web-surfing, reading email, and watching animal videos.

Does anyone have a good recommendation? I was looking at some of the Chuwi tablets that are right around $200, but they seem to come with Windows and Android, and that will just confuse her and **** her off (she gets that way).

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I honestly think a 2017 iPad for $250-300 is the way to go. A lot simpler and with less to go wrong compared to a Windows tablet while still meeting the needs you outlined.

But otherwise, we’re talking the usual 10” (approximately) sized tablet right? Or something smaller?

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I'm guessing 10" if that is what the usual sized tablet is. Unfortunately she wants me to make the decision that she should be making. I know nothing about tablets, Windows or Apple. Ugh. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else that has experience with tablets and non-techie relatives using them? :smile:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
With Windows 10 tablets, you get what you pay for. Windows tablet options have decreased over the past year or two. I'd recommend staying away from the lesser known brands like Chuwi, Onda, or Cube. Stay away from RCA too. While they do make functioning tablets, the quality is usually much less and issues usually arise due to production cost cutting practices....weak wifi, cheap batteries, etc. I've never owned a Chuwi device, but I've owned multiple Onda and Cube tablets, and they've all had their issues that eventually caused me to stop using them reliably. As mentioned above, if your daughter is familiar with an iPad, another iPad might be the way to go. The Microsoft store isn't as robust as the App Store, so if she depends on apps, that could be an issue. If she is dead set on a Windows tablet, take a look on Amazon, Best Buy, or Walmart for Windows 10 tablets by Dell, Acer, HP, Lenovo, or Microsoft (Surface models). Read the reviews. For your daughter's use habits, any of the $200-300 tablets from the manufacturers listed above would most likely be ok.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I still think an iPad 2017/5th-gen is still the best unless she explicitly wants to run desktop programs on the tablet or do some standard laptop work like dealing with USB drives, multiple Office documents, etc. at the price of simplicity and ease-of-use.

iOS is simple, does the job, is reasonably powerful and won't break the bank nor will you risk being saddled with an el cheapo lemon.

Caveats are that DIY repair is difficult and they won't be supported nearly as long as a Windows PC with security or OS updates. While they are supported for the segment-leading time in the smartphone segment (few years), it has nothing on desktop Windows.

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for all your recommendations and comments. We really DO appreciate your help. I'll pass along your suggestions and let her decide what she wants to do. Thanks again! :smile:

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Looks like it's too late for any advice in this thread for the OP but my Surface 3 is a great casual tablet, but with the added ability to get things done when needed.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think all windows tablet devices are generally a good choice. I think it comes down to software, and that's an intersting discussion. I mean both the OS and apps.

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. My sister did end up going and getting another new iPad. Perhaps if I didn't live almost 2,000 miles away from her, I would have felt more confident about pushing her towards a Windows tablet. If I lived near enough to her to visit, I could have helped her more with a Windows tablet in showing her how it works, getting it set up, etc.

At least she's still using a Windows PC. :smile:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. My sister did end up going and getting another new iPad. Perhaps if I didn't live almost 2,000 miles away from her, I would have felt more confident about pushing her towards a Windows tablet. If I lived near enough to her to visit, I could have helped her more with a Windows tablet in showing her how it works, getting it set up, etc.

At least she's still using a Windows PC.
Glad your daughter got something she will be comfortable and happy with.

badtzbuzz

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Consider Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 and A10.1. I purchased both this holiday to replace our ever slowing ipad 2 and 3. For lite apps and web surfing, I see no reason to pay twice as much for ipads. The apps are all there, and savings will get you a microsd card, case, and money left over. Quality build as expected from Samsung.

I still use my Surface Pro 4 for secure and robust activities. The best windows tablet / pc.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
My eldest sister has an old iPad that is dying, and she hates it anyway.
Why?
She would prefer replacing it with a Windows tablet.
Again, Why?
She really only uses her tablet for web-surfing, reading email, and watching animal videos.
That doesn't really scream Windows. With that set of requirements, anything, iOS, Android or Windows would do. I'd have to agree with some, that iOS is the simplest, most effective way of getting that done, for normal people. Android works fine, though the tablets are either crappy or too expensive for what they are (Apple at that price is actually quality build). Windows tablets, until you get to Surface or Surface clones would be overkill....unless...there is some desire for Windows things that you can't get on iOS/Android (x86/64) or familiarity due to desktop Windows.

I think you need to get her to answer my first two questions. What does she not like about iOS/iPads, and why does she think Windows would fix that. Size of device is also a big consideration. Not a lot of great Windows tablets under 10". iPad Mini is on its way out too, so get 'em while you can. I have both the 8" and 10" NuVision you could find at MS store, and they are both decent. Neither are speed demons, but the 10" actually has an active pen.

EDIT: I see she got a new iPad. Probably won't be disappointed, and won't have to think about this again for a couple more years. Maybe by then a viable Windows option might be available ;)

Last edited:

alvarocgz

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Dang... I know it's way too late, but maybe a T102HA would have been a nice option to consider. I remember that Microsoft were selling them for 270 and even 240 dollars for a while.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo