It's 2018 Which New old Stock , used, Refurb Tablet are u Buying?

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
With 2018 here! and no new Tablets on the horizon from any of the big names Dell, HP, Samsung ect.
which new old stock or used or refurb Tablet are you planning on buying if any!
I own a surface 3 and still use it all the time as a Tablet and very rarely do I use the keyboard, that's my Fav go to Device.

I own a Toshiba Encore 2 I bought in 2014 I just reinstalled Win 10m on it it still runs great with a Intel Atom Processor 1.44GHZ w/1GB of ram, I use it to test the insider Builds on the Fast Ring.

Besides using my Phone, (Alcatel Idol 4S or my Galaxy S8) both active on AT&T, I love a Tablet I can't stand Lap tops any more after having a tablet, u can't carry a Lappy in Ur hand while using it way to awkward to use. A Tablet is way more easier tp use in the hand.
if I replace the Toshiba Tablet I found this which the rat6ings aren't to bad on it for what I use it for.
Price wise $72.95 it's cheap good way to test the builds and have my surface 3 on Public Builds with no issues.

Here is what I've found on Amazon for a tablet With an 8"
  • Full HD IPS touchscreen (1920 x 1200), 10-finger multi-touch support; Cameras: 2MP front, 5MP rear
  • Intel Atom Z3735F Quad-Core Processor 1.33 GHz with Intel Burst Technology up to 1.83 GHz; Intel HD Graphics with shared graphics memory
  • 2GB DDR3L-RS 1333 MHz Memory, 32GB eMMC SSD storage. No Optical Drive
  • 1xMicro SD, 802.11b/g/n (Miracast enabled), Bluetooth, 1 Micro USB (also used for power, cannot be used while charging), 1x Micro HDMI, 1x Headphone/Microphone combo; TPM 2.0, Dimension: 8.80 x 4.90 x 0.40 in (223.52 x 124.46 x 10.16 mm), Includes Micro USB to USB adapter.
  • Windows 10 Home, 32-bit; Battery life up to 6 hours. Weight 0.68lb. Color Silver

https://www.amazon.com/NuVision-Tou...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3731336

Attachments

• 31vm-iry6KL.jpg
    31vm-iry6KL.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 317yeJExz2L.jpg
    317yeJExz2L.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 21ysmIaII2L.jpg
    21ysmIaII2L.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 21SsO3At-lL.jpg
    21SsO3At-lL.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 210Gt4SIG0L.jpg
    210Gt4SIG0L.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 85

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Nope haven't considered any tablet(s) running Windows (new or used) for the past few years. And as time has gone on we've seen MSFT's true colours causing me to take a 180° turn, it's now Android or iOS and definitely not anything Windows.

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Nope haven't considered any tablet(s) running Windows (new or used) for the past few years. And as time has gone on we've seen MSFT's true colours causing me to take a 180° turn, it's now Android or iOS and definitely not anything Windows.

That's too bad I love my Surface 3 runs well on Win 10 I prefer it over everything else.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
That's too bad I love my Surface 3 runs well on Win 10 I prefer it over everything else.

Oh I was big into Windows until MSFT introduced 10 for PC and Mobile. Own many devices (computers/tablets/phones) running various operating systems, Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, Linux. Over the past 3-years anything Windows 10 has been by far the most problematic compared to all my non-Windows devices combined which we own more of. Basically, the problems we encountered w/Windows in 2017 was the straw that broke the camel's back. Essentially the "others" are providing more consistency, stability and satisfaction for my needs at this present time so Microsoft/Windows has moved to the bottom of my list, at least for now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm still getting highly satisfying use from my Lumia 2520 running RT8.1. Seriously. Have it at bedside and browse on it nightly before lights out. Just keeps chugging along and I got it used a few years ago now.

Worth looking at, IMHO, if you can find a gently used one. In a pinch you can still travel with it and have Office/Photo editing on hand. USB 3.0 mini-Port with a dongle works great for data xfer between devices. Plays well with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Access your travel notes in OneNote and Here maps, etc.

A lot of underappreciated life left in these bad boys. The Nokia Lumia 2520 is a utilitarian tank.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm still getting highly satisfying use from my Lumia 2520 running RT8.1. Seriously. Have it at bedside and browse on it nightly before lights out. Just keeps chugging along and I got it used a few years ago now.

Worth looking at, IMHO, if you can find a gently used one. In a pinch you can still travel with it and have Office/Photo editing on hand. USB 3.0 mini-Port with a dongle works great for data xfer between devices. Plays well with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Access your travel notes in OneNote and Here maps, etc.

A lot of underappreciated life left in these bad boys. The Nokia Lumia 2520 is a utilitarian tank.

Believe I eyed one of those up back in the day but like many Windows phone offerings they weren't readily available to everyone. At least not without jumping through some hoops.

Sylvrwulf

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I love my Pro 3, its my primary device when mobile (even though I have an HP ZBook Workstation for work). I use it for everything from casual surfing, taking notes in meetings, and digital artwork (drawing and photo editing). I'm seriously tempted by the new Book 2, but its out of my price range. I'm suffering with the older style pen, so the newer pen (and DIAL!) are hopefully in my future this year. I doubt I'll get an upgrade to the newer Pro, but one can dream. My wife has the non-Pro 3 and is happy with it. She doesn't even use it for half of what it can do, but I think she's slowly opening up to it. To her, its just a small laptop, barely touches the tablet side or pen aspects.

DubDublin

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Although there are some decent non-Surface competitors, most of them are missing the single most important component of the Surface ecosystem: A good, functional dock. Until the other manufacturers realize the crucial importance of a serious docking solution, I won't consider their offerings. I started with a Surface Pro 3 and two SP3 docks (which I prefer to the SP4 dock for everything but pen work), and later upgraded to a Surface Pro 4, which is mostly compatible with the SP3 docks. ("Mostly" because of a bone-headed decision in the SP4's design that makes docking less reliable than it should be....) It's time for an upgrade to a next-gen docking interface (maybe just Thunderbolt 3?), though, so I hope Microsoft builds a killer dock for the Surface Pro and Book going forward. The Surface dock I really want incorporates the Surface Studio's screen, with a smaller wireless Surface keyboard with NO bloody number pad (Apple gets this right!), which is death to right-handed productivity.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I would stay away from that Nuvision tablet. I bought 3 of them last black friday, 1 for myself, the other 2 for gifts. The screen is very nice and for a while it worked decently for what it was. I was impressed. However here are the issues, the speakers are the worst speakers I have heard on any device...ever. The WIFI is terribly slow and has terrible range. But, most importantly, their customer service is the worst. I had given 1 of these to my Mother and a year later she still hadn't been able to use it.

We returned it to them 3 times because it would shut off if the battery was below 50% and then it would constantly boot into and run the diskcheck. This issue would always start after updating Windows. So they would reset it, say everything was fine and send it back to me. I would turn it on and it would work fine until it downloaded and installed the major Windows update and then it the problems were back. Nuvision refused to replace the device and told me that the tablet would be fine as long as I don't update Windows. They tried to say it was a MS issue.

Obviously either way, this is a problem because you can't not update Windows anymore so there is a good chance that this thing will be useless after Windows update installs the newest version of Windows. I had to eat the loss because they would not help and it never worked. I gave my Mother the 1 I was using and my Father has the 1 I gave him but they really don't use them because of the WIFI and the speed of the device. I'm not sure whether they even work or not at after installing the fall update.

Last edited:

Some Gadget Geek

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I am still looking forward to the upcoming Windows 10 S "Always-Connected" PCs powered by Snapdragon. They are just right for me, considering the upgrade from W10S to W10Pro (in line with all the other PCs I have at home) is cheaper than that from W10H (which comes on virtually all consumer Intel PCs), and I do not need full processing power as I have an existing PC fully capable of handling it.

I am particularly looking at the HP Envy X2 and Lenovo Miix 630, which are essentially Surface Pro-clones complete with stylus and keyboard attachment. I loved the design and functionality of the Surface but the starting price was too steep especially when the pen and type cover were excluded. And besides, I did not need the Intel Core power for my own needs, and find that HP and Lenovo's upcoming offering just fit in.

That being said, since full Windows emulation is still in its experimental stages, I will probably look out for further advice before I make up my mind to buy. It will probably be the summer by the time I open up my wallet.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
As to something new that can replace the Surface 3, only the Galaxy Book 10.6 comes to mind.

It seems smaller tablets died when Intel axed Atom.

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by Awhispersecho
I would stay away from that Nuvision tablet. I bought 3 of them last black friday, 1 for myself, the other 2 for gifts. The screen is very nice and for a while it worked decently for what it was. I was impressed. However here are the issues, the speakers are the worst speakers I have heard on any device...ever. The WIFI is terribly slow and has terrible range. But, most importantly, their customer service is the worst. I had given 1 of these to my Mother and a year later she still hadn't been able to use it.

We returned it to them 3 times because it would shut off if the battery was below 50% and then it would constantly boot into and run the diskcheck. This issue would always start after updating Windows. So they would reset it, say everything was fine and send it back to me. I would turn it on and it would work fine until it downloaded and installed the major Windows update and then it the problems were back. Nuvision refused to replace the device and told me that the tablet would be fine as long as I don't update Windows. They tried to say it was a MS issue.

Obviously either way, this is a problem because you can't not update Windows anymore so there is a good chance that this thing will be useless after Windows update installs the newest version of Windows. I had to eat the loss because they would not help and it never worked. I gave my Mother the 1 I was using and my Father has the 1 I gave him but they really don't use them because of the WIFI and the speed of the device. I'm not sure whether they even work or not at after installing the fall update.

Thanks good to know I'm looking for a replacement for my Toshiba Encore , for some Strange reason it won't install any of the fast ring builds the last build it installed was 146.1000 I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. I use it only to test the builds and send feedback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro