Wow the Priv! How's the one device thing going for you so far?

At the moment, I'm finding it mostly good to have a break from the switching. My Pixel is being fixed so my hand has been forced to use one phone for a while.
    iPhone SE?
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    05-15-2017 08:12 AM
    iPhone SE?
    Yep that is the one for the rest of this month into the next one when I'll finally be able to pick up the Pixel.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-15-2017 08:34 AM
    What happened to your Pixel?

I must admit, I am liking the SE quite a bit as well. I just use it a little bit each night. Still not ready to switch to it as my primary device though.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-15-2017 08:39 AM
    What happened to your Pixel?

I must admit, I am liking the SE quite a bit as well. I just use it a little bit each night. Still not ready to switch to it as my primary device though.
    Basically, I bought it secondhand and later realized that it has a mic issue after closing the sale. The person who I bought it from wasn't the original owner and Google only helps you out if you have the receipt, and IMEI from that person. Thankfully, uBreakiFix doesn't care about all of that.

Glad to hear you are liking the SE though.
    Last edited by libra89; 05-15-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    05-15-2017 08:44 AM
    Wow that stinks. I had people asking about the mic issue when I was trying to sell mine. Never had any issue with it though.

I use both the Pixel and SE for a few minutes each night, just to keep things cleaned up, and see whats going on "on the other side". Those little red notification bubbles drive me crazy and my OCD makes me need to clear them (I do the same with live tiles though). When I pick up my wife's iphone and see all of them it about makes my head explode, and I wonder how she can just let them alone.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-15-2017 09:01 AM
    Wow that stinks. I had people asking about the mic issue when I was trying to sell mine. Never had any issue with it though.

I use both the Pixel and SE for a few minutes each night, just to keep things cleaned up, and see whats going on "on the other side". Those little red notification bubbles drive me crazy and my OCD makes me need to clear them (I do the same with live tiles though). When I pick up my wife's iphone and see all of them it about makes my head explode, and I wonder how she can just let them alone.
    Yeah that's why people ask. The mic issue is a hardware thing. Hopefully you wouldn't need it, but uBreakiFix is officially partnered with Google to service the Pixel phones. They can basically fix anything wrong.

I really like the Pixel so that's why I'm bothering with this. It's still the best small phone all around on Android. That's the only issue with it for me, but it's a very important one.

Anyway, I agree about the badges! I always clean those as soon as I can. One thing I do like about iOS is how easy it is to control notifications for every app. That is still a pain on Android, and some apps on W10M just don't appear in the notifications app to control.
    fatclue_98 and mark233 like this.
    05-15-2017 09:16 AM
    If the rumored iPhone Edition that comes out later this year after the 7s/7s+ truly lives up to the hype, it shall take the throne from my iPhone 6 as my secondary phone. OLED screen, minimal bezels, wireless charging... if it's all true, I will once again camp out in front of the apple store as I did in the past with the releases of the 3G, 3GS, 4, 5S, and 6.

Yes, I carry two phones around with me everywhere I go. And I will never let go of my WP. The iPhone is tethered to my 950 for data so I can use iMessage and iCloud. I guess you could call me a masochist, suffering from severe stockholm syndrome for W10M.

I can't do android. It's such a convoluted and aesthetically unappealing operating system from the foundation itself (IMO). Maybe it's all the skins and custom ROMs manufacturers put on top of android, but it's still the same underneath. Never tried a Pixel so maybe that's better. I have a Galaxy S6 Edge and the android version of the Alcatel Idol 4S, they drive me insane when I need to use an app not on WP, I try, but always end up using my iPhone in the end. Like apple says, it just works. Also, iOS is far more secure than android, I mean seriously, simply the existence of MalwareBytes and anti-virus apps on the Play store is ridiculous, even W10S is more secure than android. Not to mention the fragmentation of android is ridiculous. Alright, sorry about that, rant over. Carry on.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    05-16-2017 02:20 PM
    I'm currently using BB10 and it has been pretty rock solid aside from a few random restarts. I can't think of any apps that have crashed on me.
    That's because there are none! (I LOVED my 9650, except for the small size. When it finally died and I was issued a Q10, I knew there had to be something better.)

I was thikning of this thread last night. I decided to use my SGS6 to load Waze and have it guide me home. I have Waze on my X3, but it is "old" so supposedly not as good. However, the colors and line thickness are garish. I just can't get over them.

Yes, things are snappier and work better on the S6 than on my X3, but not sure if I could hang with it. Maybe, since my Microsoft consultant is here helping us with SCCM and W10 / OPP rollout tasks for the week, I'll grab and Iphone again and test drive one for a few weeks and compare with his Iphone 7 Plus. (We have 50 stock units I can always borrow.)
    HeyCori and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-16-2017 05:22 PM
    That's because there are none! (I LOVED my 9650, except for the small size. When it finally died and I was issued a Q10, I knew there had to be something better.)

I was thikning of this thread last night. I decided to use my SGS6 to load Waze and have it guide me home. I have Waze on my X3, but it is "old" so supposedly not as good. However, the colors and line thickness are garish. I just can't get over them.

Yes, things are snappier and work better on the S6 than on my X3, but not sure if I could hang with it. Maybe, since my Microsoft consultant is here helping us with SCCM and W10 / OPP rollout tasks for the week, I'll grab and Iphone again and test drive one for a few weeks and compare with his Iphone 7 Plus. (We have 50 stock units I can always borrow.)
    I can't get Waze to work on my 950 anymore. I reset the phone and now when I install it there is no map. Seems to be another case of if you have the app now and it works, don't ever reset your device or you won't be able to use it again.
    05-17-2017 12:26 PM
    I can't get Waze to work on my 950 anymore. I reset the phone and now when I install it there is no map. Seems to be another case of if you have the app now and it works, don't ever reset your device or you won't be able to use it again.
    I hate that this is the state of things here sometimes. An app works with a loophole but then you have to reset your phone, and it no longer works.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-17-2017 12:45 PM
    So far has effected me with Waze and Onstar RemoteLink.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    05-17-2017 01:06 PM
    I hate that this is the state of things here sometimes. An app works with a loophole but then you have to reset your phone, and it no longer works.
    It's getting to be a tough read.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-17-2017 03:03 PM
    So far has effected me with Waze and Onstar RemoteLink.
    Oh that's awful. I was using Waze last night on my SGS 6 and realized how bad the Google version is now.

Sent from mTalk
    05-17-2017 03:21 PM
    I think that is just the Waze version now. Same on iOS and Android. I do like the old UI that we had on Windows Phone better though.
    05-18-2017 08:45 AM
    Assuming nothing groundbreaking is announced within the next year, I'm pretty sure the KEYone will be my next phone. I'm so disillusioned with the ubiquitousness of boring, slate touchscreens that something has to be unique before I would even consider buying it. There are countless quality Android phones to choose from, and they all have good screens and take great pictures, but what I really want is a device that fundamentally changes how I use it. Plus, I'm sure the KEYone will get a price drop within a year.
    05-18-2017 11:00 AM
    Assuming nothing groundbreaking is announced within the next year, I'm pretty sure the KEYone will be my next phone. I'm so disillusioned with the ubiquitousness of boring, slate touchscreens that something has to be unique before I would even consider buying it. There are countless quality Android phones to choose from, and they all have good screens and take great pictures, but what I really want is a device that fundamentally changes how I use it. Plus, I'm sure the KEYone will get a price drop within a year.
    If/when you get the KEYone, I;m so looking forward to your impressions. I agree, I love how refreshing it is and that battery life is amazing apparently.
    05-18-2017 11:06 AM
    I posted a while back about switching to the S8+ and my overall positive experience with the switch. It's been a couple weeks and I thought I'd give an update now that I've had more time with it.

-Bixby is awful and I miss the full functionality of Cortana. I have no idea what Bixby is supposed to do other than randomly pop up because it's launched by a physical button that's opposite the power button so it's nearly impossible to miss when waking the phone. There are a couple apps that let you launch something else (pretty janky in the way they work), but I'd rather that button not exist. Bixby's current state doesn't even do voice recognition (what's the point?!?!?).
    -I know around here we tend to minimize the app gap (and for the most part I agree), but the availability of banking apps is a huge deal. I no longer have to borrow my girlfriend's phone to deposit checks.
    -I miss the UI. W10 style launchers help but live tiles are awesome and I don't think there's any real replacement for them on Android.
    -Camera is good. Haven't done any side by side comparisons but I'd be shocked if it's not at least as good as the 950.
    -DeX requires the Samsung dock which is just stupid.
    -The screen is gorgeous. Blows the 950 out of the water which has a great screen.
    -Swipe style typing, while an improvement over W10M, has some issues primarily due to the size of the screen and my palm touching the edges. Annoying but addressable by altering the keyboard.
    -There are several overlapping apps that are just plain confusing (e.g. Samsung Pay vs Android Pay, Bixby vs Google whatever it is, etc.)
    -MS apps are generally better on Android than on W10M, but the Outlook App is driving me nuts. Doesn't updated the # of emails on the home screen and the way it manages multiple accounts makes my head hurt. I've given it a solid try and am going to look for an alternative.
    -I hate Bixby. Did I mention that?

That all said, the S8+ is great. No regrets on switching. A few small changes and it would be perfect. Being able to replace Bixby w/ Cortana, getting live tiles, and more seamless integration with One Drive would pretty well make me not miss W10M at all.
    05-18-2017 01:10 PM
    I'm so looking forward to your take on the KEYone. The Priv 's battery life is such a downer on an otherwise great piece of kit. I don't know if I could trade the Priv's Schnauzer-Hasenpfeffer camera (or whatever it's called) for better battery life though.
    HeyCori, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-18-2017 01:21 PM
    You should be able to set Cortana as your default voice assistant. Are you sure you have the focused inbox turned off in Outlook? If it is, and it still doesn't work for you, you might want to try Nine. It is kind of expensive, but does have a free trial, and the email, calendar, and contacts integration is great, as are the widgets.

The UI is what I missed most about W10M, and ultimately what brought me back. I definitely understand what you are saying about the banking app, which is pretty much the only app I miss on W10M compared to iOS and Android. It is also frustrating how much faster OneDrive works on both iOS and Android. When uploading large files I find my W10M and even W10 apps struggle, usually resulting in an error, but iOS and Android have no problem.

If Onedrive could integrate into pictures on either iOS or Android the way it does on W10M, I might be even more tempted to switch. I know I could migrate all my pictures over to Google Drive or iCloud, but I like OneDrive, and I have 1 TB of storage. I have all my music stored on there too, and using my sign-in info my wife can listen to it all on her iPhone too with Groove Music. It works great! Maybe I could do the same with the other storage options, I just haven't looked too far into it.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-18-2017 01:29 PM
    You should be able to set Cortana as your default voice assistant. Are you sure you have the focused inbox turned off in Outlook? If it is, and it still doesn't work for you, you might want to try Nine. It is kind of expensive, but does have a free trial, and the email, calendar, and contacts integration is great, as are the widgets.

The UI is what I missed most about W10M, and ultimately what brought me back. I definitely understand what you are saying about the banking app, which is pretty much the only app I miss on W10M compared to iOS and Android. It is also frustrating how much faster OneDrive works on both iOS and Android. When uploading large files I find my W10M and even W10 apps struggle, usually resulting in an error, but iOS and Android have no problem.

If Onedrive could integrate into pictures on either iOS or Android the way it does on W10M, I might be even more tempted to switch. I know I could migrate all my pictures over to Google Drive or iCloud, but I like OneDrive, and I have 1 TB of storage. I have all my music stored on there too, and using my sign-in info my wife can listen to it all on her iPhone too with Groove Music. It works great! Maybe I could do the same with the other storage options, I just haven't looked too far into it.
    The Outlook app overall is just unpolished and lacks some key features (e.g. showing # mails on the home screen and having the option to have a specific inbox pinned to the home screen). Trying out BlueMail right now which addresses both of these via a widget, looks more polished/better navigation, and has a dark theme to boot.

No idea how to get rid of Bixby without rooting the phone. Samsung really wants you to use it. Cortana is on my home screen, but it's just not the same.

Photo syncing works okay - they at least upload to OneDrive automatically.

I did miss that in my review. The OneDrive integration in W10 is great. Miss that a lot but it's at least been manageable so far.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    05-18-2017 01:57 PM
    The Outlook app overall is just unpolished and lacks some key features (e.g. showing # mails on the home screen and having the option to have a specific inbox pinned to the home screen). Trying out BlueMail right now which addresses both of these via a widget, looks more polished/better navigation, and has a dark theme to boot.

No idea how to get rid of Bixby without rooting the phone. Samsung really wants you to use it. Cortana is on my home screen, but it's just not the same.

Photo syncing works okay - they at least upload to OneDrive automatically.

I did miss that in my review. The OneDrive integration in W10 is great. Miss that a lot but it's at least been manageable so far.
    The BlackBerry Hub suite is IMO, the closest thing to Outlook on W10M as it allows pinning individual accounts to your home screen, per account signatures and notifications including LED colors. Free for 30 days and $.99/month after. Unless you don't care about ads then it's always free. Oh, dark theme too.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-18-2017 02:25 PM
    I posted a while back about switching to the S8+ and my overall positive experience with the switch. It's been a couple weeks and I thought I'd give an update now that I've had more time with it.

-Bixby is awful and I miss the full functionality of Cortana. I have no idea what Bixby is supposed to do other than randomly pop up because it's launched by a physical button that's opposite the power button so it's nearly impossible to miss when waking the phone. There are a couple apps that let you launch something else (pretty janky in the way they work), but I'd rather that button not exist. Bixby's current state doesn't even do voice recognition (what's the point?!?!?).
    -I know around here we tend to minimize the app gap (and for the most part I agree), but the availability of banking apps is a huge deal. I no longer have to borrow my girlfriend's phone to deposit checks.
    -I miss the UI. W10 style launchers help but live tiles are awesome and I don't think there's any real replacement for them on Android.
    -Camera is good. Haven't done any side by side comparisons but I'd be shocked if it's not at least as good as the 950.
    -DeX requires the Samsung dock which is just stupid.
    -The screen is gorgeous. Blows the 950 out of the water which has a great screen.
    -Swipe style typing, while an improvement over W10M, has some issues primarily due to the size of the screen and my palm touching the edges. Annoying but addressable by altering the keyboard.
    -There are several overlapping apps that are just plain confusing (e.g. Samsung Pay vs Android Pay, Bixby vs Google whatever it is, etc.)
    -MS apps are generally better on Android than on W10M, but the Outlook App is driving me nuts. Doesn't updated the # of emails on the home screen and the way it manages multiple accounts makes my head hurt. I've given it a solid try and am going to look for an alternative.
    -I hate Bixby. Did I mention that?

That all said, the S8+ is great. No regrets on switching. A few small changes and it would be perfect. Being able to replace Bixby w/ Cortana, getting live tiles, and more seamless integration with One Drive would pretty well make me not miss W10M at all.
    Bixby is still very much a work in progress and it was launched a pretty prematurely. It will be good when it matures. Google Assistant/Google app is still the primary voice assistant/AI on the s8 or any other android for that matter. I've got Cortana installed too but barely use it as it's not baked in so to speak and just use it on my 950xl instead
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-18-2017 04:30 PM
    After getting an iPhone and realize the absolute crapware that I have been toiling with w10m, I see no reason to check windows central. Dan and others may profess to disagree, but the tech world is really all about phones. This website will disappear over time. Wishful thinking won't change that...
    Last edited by mikepalma; 05-23-2017 at 05:50 AM.
    aximtreo likes this.
    05-23-2017 05:16 AM
    That's nice....
    05-23-2017 05:23 AM
    That's one unhappy camper.
    mikepalma, fatclue_98 and Joe920 like this.
    05-23-2017 05:25 AM
5,186 ... 173174175176177 ...