I don't know if I'm just weird (or paranoid) but I still haven't enabled Google Assistant on any Android phone, including the Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 that I have been using as my daily for 3 weeks and some change. The phone is really good but I miss song discovery.

It's unfortunate that I can't have song discovery without allowing Google Assistant to have my private location history as a part of the agreement for using it. Just because of song discovery, I'm missing iOS. To be fair though, with iOS, you have a tradeoff of Siri not being able to identify music if you "delete" the music app but to me, that's more reasonable. I like that Cortana still allows me to identify music without what Google asks for. Before anyone says that none are saints, there should be a better way to do this. IMO, it was just fine with Google Now.

Edit: Now the only way I can identify songs without installing another app is to open Voice Search/ Google app and ask there. That's more digging than it takes to hold the home button and ask. I miss the home button convenience. :(
    Rinsun likes this.
    08-11-2017 05:31 PM
    Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but what is song discovery?
    08-11-2017 05:56 PM
    Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but what is song discovery?
    I'm probably not using the right words but it's basically song identification. Say you're listening to the radio or you're at the movie theater watching previews and you like a song. You can ask Cortana (with phones that have Hey Cortana of course, otherwise you can tap the music note in Cortana), Siri and Google "what song is this" and it will listen and tell you the song.

It's a great way to learn new songs. For me, that's my biggest usage with these assistants.
    Rinsun, TgeekB, aximtreo and 1 others like this.
    08-11-2017 10:30 PM
    I don't know if I'm just weird (or paranoid) but I still haven't enabled Google Assistant on any Android phone, including the Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 that I have been using as my daily for 3 weeks and some change. The phone is really good but I miss song discovery.

It's unfortunate that I can't have song discovery without allowing Google Assistant to have my private location history as a part of the agreement for using it. Just because of song discovery, I'm missing iOS. To be fair though, with iOS, you have a tradeoff of Siri not being able to identify music if you "delete" the music app but to me, that's more reasonable. I like that Cortana still allows me to identify music without what Google asks for. Before anyone says that none are saints, there should be a better way to do this. IMO, it was just fine with Google Now.

Edit: Now the only way I can identify songs without installing another app is to open Voice Search/ Google app and ask there. That's more digging than it takes to hold the home button and ask. I miss the home button convenience. :(
    How about Shazam?
    08-11-2017 11:36 PM
    I'm probably not using the right words but it's basically song identification. Say you're listening to the radio or you're at the movie theater watching previews and you like a song. You can ask Cortana (with phones that have Hey Cortana of course, otherwise you can tap the music note in Cortana), Siri and Google "what song is this" and it will listen and tell you the song.

It's a great way to learn new songs. For me, that's my biggest usage with these assistants.
    Song discovery is something I like very much. In my Lumia I would use Shazam.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-12-2017 05:27 AM

Ahh, ok. That makes sense.
    Thank you.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-12-2017 06:14 AM
    How about Shazam?
    I'll try it out, thanks. Just missing the ease of tapping the home button to ask.
    leandrodp2016 likes this.
    08-12-2017 07:19 AM
    I'll try it out, thanks. Just missing the ease of tapping the home button to ask.
    Shazam , SoundHound and Musixmatch all identify songs , as far as I know.
    Does the Google Sound search widget need a lot of the user's information ?
    libra89 likes this.
    08-12-2017 08:01 AM
    I had placed an order for the Moto G5 plus at a Flipkart sale and it arrived yesterday. I am liking it more than the G4 plus because it's size makes it more comfortable to hold. My G4 plus will go to my son.
    TgeekB and libra89 like this.
    08-12-2017 08:08 AM
    Shazam , SoundHound and Musixmatch all identify songs , as far as I know.
    Does the Google Sound search widget need a lot of the user's information ?
    Nope, it doesn't. The only downfall is that you have to open the widget, which means unlocking your phone to ask it.

And thanks for the suggestions.
    Rinsun likes this.
    08-12-2017 09:16 AM
    I had placed an order for the Moto G5 plus at a Flipkart sale and it arrived yesterday. I am liking it more than the G4 plus because it's size makes it more comfortable to hold. My G4 plus will go to my son.
    Awesome! I had the G5 Plus, I hope that you will enjoy it. Such a nice phone.
    Rinsun and mark233 like this.
    08-12-2017 09:38 AM
    Nope, it doesn't. The only downfall is that you have to open the widget, which means unlocking your phone to ask it.

And thanks for the suggestions.
    Thanks, and yes, that is true. But with fingerprint unlocking it doesn't take much time so I don't mind.
    I don't use Ok Google voice commands so I don't know whether you can do it from a locked screen.But again ,you will need Assistant activated for that.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-12-2017 09:47 AM
    Awesome! I had the G5 Plus, I hope that you will enjoy it. Such a nice phone.
    Where is your G5 Plus now ? I had been a bit more busier than usual so I missed some posts.
    I am liking it a lot though I have just been using it for just a day. The G4 Plus is also nice but it is bigger and wider. My G4 Plus is on a newer security update (June) than the G5 Plus (March).
    I am using the one button navigation on the G5 Plus and have turned the on screen navigation buttons off.This gives a larger screen space though the phone is smaller.
    I got it for a pretty much lower price with the sale discount, bank card discount and I also exchanged an old 1 GB ram Android at a decent price.
    I am waiting for the case and screenguard to arrive on Monday.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-12-2017 09:56 AM
    Where is your G5 Plus now ? I had been a bit more busier than usual so I missed some posts.
    I am liking it a lot though I have just been using it for just a day. The G4 Plus is also nice but it is bigger and wider. My G4 Plus is on a newer security update (June) than the G5 Plus (March).
    I am using the one button navigation on the G5 Plus and have turned the on screen navigation buttons off.This gives a larger screen space though the phone is smaller.
    I got it for a pretty much lower price with the sale discount, bank card discount and I also exchanged an old 1 GB ram Android at a decent price.
    I am waiting for the case and screenguard to arrive on Monday.
    Nice deal!
    I tried it out but it was really for an aunt. I did the same when I had it. The one button nav is pretty awesome.
    Rinsun likes this.
    08-12-2017 01:05 PM
    Nice deal!
    I tried it out but it was really for an aunt. I did the same when I had it. The one button nav is pretty awesome.
    There are so many phones that you have handled !
    libra89 likes this.
    08-12-2017 01:46 PM
    There are so many phones that you have handled !
    This month alone.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk
    Rinsun likes this.
    08-12-2017 01:56 PM
    This month alone.

Whatever, lol. I have only handled one this month. Last month, I handled another one but that wasn't for me.
    Rinsun and fatclue_98 like this.
    08-12-2017 08:04 PM
    I'm kinda hooked on the 1520 lately. I had an s8+ which to me the only thing most impressive about it was the screen. Well I traded that too for a pixel xl which being a Google's first was impressive. So I had that for about 3 days and then sold it. Took that money and invested in another Elite X3 since I had traded off my last one too. Just something about the X3 that makes me keep one around. Plus it's the only OEM phone I can get the notification LED to work on, which is cool However I think I'm going to camp out on the 1520 or at least ill try to. So for now the only Android device I own is a bricked moto z play which I'm eyeing a thread on xda that might have a fix for the dreaded bricking. It's caused by rolling back the os from nougat and then taking the OTA update back to nougat.

Edit: I'll add that larger phones I've found in the past I steered away from, but I've learned to appreciate them a bit more plus two top tier Windows 10 Mobile phablets (the classic 1520 and Elite X3) have some intriguing specs and features no other phones have. Parts are so cheap and available for the 1520 that I could easily keep using one of these into 2018 assuming Microsoft comes around with newer Mobile hw by then. I'm a late comer to the 1520 but it does really well on the latest build made for it. One of the last great Windows Nokia phones made.
    Last edited by Nate W; 08-12-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    08-12-2017 09:21 PM
    I'm kinda hooked on the 1520 lately. I had an s8+ which to me the only thing most impressive about it was the screen. Well I traded that too for a pixel xl which being a Google's first was impressive. So I had that for about 3 days and then sold it. Took that money and invested in another Elite X3 since I had traded off my last one too. Just something about the X3 that makes me keep one around. Plus it's the only OEM phone I can get the notification LED to work on, which is cool However I think I'm going to camp out on the 1520 or at least ill try to. So for now the only Android device I own is a bricked moto z play which I'm eyeing a thread on xda that might have a fix for the dreaded bricking. It's caused by rolling back the os from nougat and then taking the OTA update back to nougat.
    You are one of a kind. You're probably one of the few who has ever had a pixel xl and then sold it to get a X3, haha. I hope that you will enjoy your 1520.
    Nate W and Scienceguy Labs like this.
    08-12-2017 09:32 PM
    You are one of a kind. You're probably one of the few who has ever had a pixel xl and then sold it to get a X3, haha. I hope that you will enjoy your 1520.
    I actually have 3 1520s. All were fairly cheap around 50 bucks or less. 2 worked flawlessly. The white one has touch issues so I'll look into that later. One of the other two black models was practically new from at&t only used for like a couple months but had a crack by the search button. So Cortana would launch randomly. So I replaced the lcd on it and it works great and using it now. I honestly have enjoyed using these windows phones over the past several years just to learn more and more about how they operate. Since I want to develop a program in the future (hoping anyway), I've tried learning as much about each device I've owned trying to see what capabilities each has, but also seeing what similarities they all share at the OS level. Basically as much as I can learn about the basics of the platform as possible.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-12-2017 09:50 PM
    Whatever, lol. I have only handled one this month. Last month, I handled another one but that wasn't for me.
    You know I'm only kidding. It's fun and equally exasperating to find that "perfect" phone.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 via mTalk
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    08-13-2017 12:40 PM
    You know I'm only kidding. It's fun and equally exasperating to find that "perfect" phone.

Haha, I should have known.

That is very true, it is. I'm still really liking the Galaxy A3 that I have but the rumors of the SE 2 are hot for an early event next year. I'll probably gladly switch to that but it probably isn't going to have a headphone jack so I will have a choice to make.
    fatclue_98, mark233 and Rinsun like this.
    08-13-2017 12:53 PM

It's like hunting for the holy grail.
    I had a lot of fun trying every OS and multiple different phones. I finally grew weary of it and settled on one, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it like a hobby.
    08-13-2017 02:52 PM
    It's like hunting for the holy grail.
    I had a lot of fun trying every OS and multiple different phones. I finally grew weary of it and settled on one, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it like a hobby.
    Quitter!!!

I'm not content myself so you know I'm kidding.

libra89 and Nate W like this.
    08-13-2017 03:24 PM
    Quitter!!!

I'm not content myself so you know I'm kidding.

Ouch. That hurt! 🤣

Trust me, I still get the itch, but I've been a good boy for a few months now. I'm going for a record.
    fatclue_98 and libra89 like this.
    08-13-2017 03:34 PM
4,868 ... 192193194195