Did you find your non-US model?

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk
    09-13-2017 08:55 PM
    I did. Single SIM Xperia X F5121 in Lime Gold.
    09-13-2017 09:14 PM
    Which Sony device do you recommend to run this on for now that will work on a US GSM carrier?

EDIT: Nevermind did not see the above post...:)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-13-2017 09:25 PM
    How do people handle their text messages when moving to ios, can they be transferred or are they lost?

Sent from mTalk
    09-14-2017 12:40 AM
    How do people handle their text messages when moving to ios, can they be transferred or are they lost?

Sent from mTalk
    For people on Verizon, there's a messages app that allows all of them to populate in whatever phone you are using.

From Android to iOS, I believe the move to iOS app works. From Windows to iOS, I just take it as a loss.
    09-14-2017 06:25 AM
    I did. Single SIM Xperia X F5121 in Lime Gold.
    It's tempting to say the least. I'm curious about Android app support though. Will it support Play Services or just sideload an apk that's not dependent on Play Services. You may or may not be aware that there is a patcher available that removes those dependencies. It was a vital component for running Android on BlackBerry OS10.

Keep us in the loop.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    09-14-2017 10:50 AM
    For people on Verizon, there's a messages app that allows all of them to populate in whatever phone you are using.

From Android to iOS, I believe the move to iOS app works. From Windows to iOS, I just take it as a loss.
    Thanks. i guess in theory then one could first transfer to android then to ios. I'll have to look into that.
    09-14-2017 11:44 AM
    Thanks. i guess in theory then one could first transfer to android then to ios. I'll have to look into that.
    You're welcome. It is possible but a long and challenging process.
    theefman likes this.
    09-14-2017 11:46 AM
    I decided not to compromise, so I got a refurbished Pixel for a nice deal! Buying accessories again is a bummer but I miss that phone's cameras every day. I missed the performance too. I'm going to miss having a mute mode, but I'm so excited.
    09-14-2017 01:44 PM
    It's tempting to say the least. I'm curious about Android app support though. Will it support Play Services or just sideload an apk that's not dependent on Play Services. You may or may not be aware that there is a patcher available that removes those dependencies. It was a vital component for running Android on BlackBerry OS10.

Keep us in the loop.
    Part of the cost for the ROM is to cover the licensing for Alien Dalvik. Dalvik mind you;. I don't believe it supports pure ART apps. No Play services, but you can get Apps from Amazon and other official 3rd party stores. Myself, Imma go as much Microsoft services as I can anyhoo, just like I do on an Android anyway.

Which Sony device do you recommend to run this on for now that will work on a US GSM carrier?

EDIT: Nevermind did not see the above post...:)
    For a sanity check I got the Euro (or World) version of the F5121 and not the North American. Only difference, the World version has a working fingerprint reader and it is nice and fast, IMHO. Sony disabled the fingerprint reader for NA, not sure why. I do know that my World unit is getting security updates from Google/Sony right up to date. Why do I suspect that NA units are left behind there?

Of course the fingerprint is not baked in yet to start with Sailfish X. But Jolla seems to have a blind spot for the US so I went with the World model to ensure it would flash the ROM.

Speaking of a blind spot for the US: the price is €49.90 and that includes VAT. As a non EU person I shouldn't have to pay no stinkin' Vat anyway so maybe there will be a discount for good ole USD buyers. Maybe not. Time will tell.

Now my quandary is that the ROM is projected to release on October 11 and I'm flying out of the country on October 23. Is that enough time to settle in and test things... Likely not. It may have to wait until I return in November.

first-world-problem-best-demotivational-posters.jpg
    aximtreo, Nate W, libra89 and 3 others like this.
    09-14-2017 05:38 PM
    For a sanity check I got the Euro (or World) version of the F5121 and not the North American. Only difference, the World version has a working fingerprint reader and it is nice and fast, IMHO. Sony disabled the fingerprint reader for NA, not sure why.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/sony-...nsors-us-deals

Edit: It seems nobody truly knows why, except Sony.
    RumoredNow and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-14-2017 05:50 PM
    I decided not to compromise, so I got a refurbished Pixel for a nice deal! Buying accessories again is a bummer but I miss that phone's cameras every day. I missed the performance too. I'm going to miss having a mute mode, but I'm so excited.
    Did you get a blue one? If I would get another one, that is what I would get. It is just too bad they only made it in 32GB, but I now know that would be enough for me.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-15-2017 08:02 AM
    Did you get a blue one? If I would get another one, that is what I would get. It is just too bad they only made it in 32GB, but I now know that would be enough for me.
    Nope. As much as I would like a blue one, I wasn't seeing any at a price that I would want to pay for a Pixel at this time. Considering my experience and the secondhand experience of someone who had one which had to be replaced too, I didn't trust any of the ones that weren't refurbished by Google directly.

I saw one (that was refurbished by Google) but too high for this phone at this point in time for me.
    09-15-2017 08:27 AM
    Did you get a blue one?
    Do you mean Really Blue?

I love the terms Google used to describe the Pixels' colors: Quite Black, Really Blue, and Very Silver.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-15-2017 08:34 AM
    Nope. As much as I would like a blue one, I wasn't seeing any at a price that I would want to pay for a Pixel at this time. Considering my experience and the secondhand experience of someone who had one which had to be replaced too, I didn't trust any of the ones that weren't refurbished by Google directly.

I saw one (that was refurbished by Google) but too high for this phone at this point in time for me.
    So which did you get?
    libra89 likes this.
    09-15-2017 09:50 AM
    So which did you get?
    I got the Black one, 32gb. I hate that the front is off black but that is fixed with the Spigen screen protector. 128 is excessive for me.
    09-15-2017 10:27 AM
    I had the black 128. I never noticed that the front wasn't black until you just mentioned it haha. Guess it shows that wasn't important to me.
    09-15-2017 01:01 PM
    I had the black 128. I never noticed that the front wasn't black until you just mentioned it haha. Guess it shows that wasn't important to me.
    Haha. It bothered me because I would look at it with the screen off and it just looked like that. It looked different from how black iPhones look. I like the clean look.

Also ordered a dBrand skin for this Pixel too, because that would make it more nice looking to me. I care a lot about aesthetics, can you tell? lol
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    09-15-2017 01:30 PM
    Haha. It bothered me because I would look at it with the screen off and it just looked like that. It looked different from how black iPhones look. I like the clean look.

Also ordered a dBrand skin for this Pixel too, because that would make it more nice looking to me. I care a lot about aesthetics, can you tell? lol
    Like the Billy Crystal character on SNL "Fernando" used to say - It's better to look good than to feel good, and you look maaahvelous.

libra89, Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    09-15-2017 01:55 PM
    Having switched to an iPhone 6S+ months ago, it's really noticeable how hot the 950XL can get when browsing in Edge. Either the heat management is bad or Edge is inefficient. Or maybe it was just getting angry because I was browsing MacRumors
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-16-2017 08:10 AM
    Having switched to an iPhone 6S+ months ago, it's really noticeable how hot the 950XL can get when browsing in Edge. Either the heat management is bad or Edge is inefficient. Or maybe it was just getting angry because I was browsing MacRumors
    My experience tells me it's the firmware and not Edge. My current x3 doesn't heat up on anything. When I had the Idol it would only get a little warm after a long Continuum session and my current Primo doesn't heat up at all. This is what I find most surprising because I've had a few phones with the SD808 (Priv, 950, G4, Nexus 5X) and they all ran hot. The Priv and 5X were the worst.

09-16-2017 12:29 PM
    My experience tells me it's the firmware and not Edge. My current x3 doesn't heat up on anything. When I had the Idol it would only get a little warm after a long Continuum session and my current Primo doesn't heat up at all. This is what I find most surprising because I've had a few phones with the SD808 (Priv, 950, G4, Nexus 5X) and they all ran hot. The Priv and 5X were the worst.

Good point. But boy does the 950 XL fly. I think that is the best phone to use for an overall W10M experience. That phone is buttery smooth when it comes to navigating around the UI. You are right in how the FW is tuned. There is power settings used for balancing CPU while off and on the charger. I remember seeing a low latency setting/entry in one of the partitions files on the 950 XL, I forget which one...but haveing a low latency setting means it will use more resources to keep the pace going as long as it can. I remember sometimes I would have like 95% battery left after being off the charger 5 or 6 hours. Then as soon as I open Edge and use it for 15 min, it would drop to like 89% or so...our poor palms pay for it especially when using Edge.

I think the other half of it is the Edge browser itself. It seems Edge being a complete new browser entirely has had a long time in waiting for it to be up to par. And in that it is ridiculously bad on mobile or has been. Forget about trying to run it on a lower end phone. Unless you want to wait around for pages to re-scale/re-load/download. I can tolerate some of its shortcomings on the PC but in mobile even on the Elite X3 (at least when I was using it) would pause or stutter. Part of the growing pains I suppose.

Edit: I will add to what you said about the SD808...if we think the 950 XL got hot, the 950 was doubly worse. Like you said the 808 processor did this on many devices. I owned several 950's and even though over the year or two it got better through the updates of the OS and FW, it never went away at all. So it is very interesting to know that Acer was able to maintain it some how. Could be cooling properties of their frame for that phone along with their FW SW enhancements.

@fatclue_98,
    I am curious how many if any FW updates does the Acer have in its library of updates?
    Last edited by Nate W; 09-16-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-16-2017 07:25 PM
    Good point. But boy does the 950 XL fly. I think that is the best phone to use for an overall W10M experience. That phone is buttery smooth when it comes to navigating around the UI. You are right in how the FW is tuned. There is power settings used for balancing CPU while off and on the charger. I remember seeing a low latency setting/entry in one of the partitions files on the 950 XL, I forget which one...but haveing a low latency setting means it will use more resources to keep the pace going as long as it can. I remember sometimes I would have like 95% battery left after being off the charger 5 or 6 hours. Then as soon as I open Edge and use it for 15 min, it would drop to like 89% or so...our poor palms pay for it especially when using Edge.

I think the other half of it is the Edge browser itself. It seems Edge being a complete new browser entirely has had a long time in waiting for it to be up to par. And in that it is ridiculously bad on mobile or has been. Forget about trying to run it on a lower end phone. Unless you want to wait around for pages to re-scale/re-load/download. I can tolerate some of its shortcomings on the PC but in mobile even on the Elite X3 (at least when I was using it) would pause or stutter. Part of the growing pains I suppose.

Edit: I will add to what you said about the SD808...if we think the 950 XL got hot, the 950 was doubly worse. Like you said the 808 processor did this on many devices. I owned several 950's and even though over the year or two it got better through the updates of the OS and FW, it never went away at all. So it is very interesting to know that Acer was able to maintain it some how. Could be cooling properties of their frame for that phone along with their FW SW enhancements.

@fatclue_98,
    I am curious how many if any FW updates does the Acer have in its library of updates?
    Officially, the Acer didn't get past Threshold. I have AU on mine through the Insider App but it's a process not meant for the feint of heart. But it's rock solid and every time I take a not-so-good picture on the x3, my SIM card mysteriously finds its way into the Acer. Horrible speakers are its Achilles Heel and it's the only reason why the x3 is still around.

Laura Knotek, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    09-16-2017 07:47 PM
    Decided to say goodbye to another Microsoft product. So long, Office 365. My renewal was coming up and I had to admit that I wasn't using Office enough to justify another year. My job is all Google Docs and it's easier to use what work tells me to use. At home, I've switched to Office Online for my desktop and Office Mobile for my tablet. Its a noticeable step down from using full Office. Nonetheless, it suffices.
    09-17-2017 12:21 AM
    @HeyCori I could never justify that subscription model to myself. What they are selling there is the promise of upgrades and some Skype credits. Bing rewards would get you all the free Skype you want if you're into that. And with a 3 year cycle for Office to upgrade and a looooong shelf life for the product anyhow... Yeah.

I did just get a new machine though so another look at Office was in order. I never use Publish or Access and the free Outlook in a browser is so damn powerful why would anyone pay for that? What I can't do is Office online or Docs or whatever cloud based editor because I don't want to be beholden to having a connection to edit. Cloud based viewing is fine for the phone realm, but not always practicable for large screens where editing gets done when you are in an "on the road" scenario.

So I found this deal that made me pull the trigger: https://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...c-82-72-a.html
    aximtreo, libra89, Nate W and 2 others like this.
    09-17-2017 05:31 AM
5,039 ... 199200201202