Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why I'm leaving Windows 10 Mobile!

I agree. It sounds like a bad device though, not the OS. I looked through them and don't have the same experience on my multiple devices.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
Ditto, I don't think I've ever had any of those issues. The core apps are as stable as any from any other OS and the voice recognition is far superior to anything from Cupertino or Mountain View.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Like a G6, Like a G6 .... LG G6

Switched to Android via the new LG G6 yesterday (who knows how long I'll use this before I switch to something else haha). Never used an LG smartphone.

I was curious about it and the Galaxy S8 so I went to local Tmo to have a look. Both phones look impressive to say the least. I just personally don't like Samsung's touch for Android.

So I played a bit with the G6. Ended up buying it.

It's a bit amazing that this G6 sports a 5.7" display. The 18:9 ratio display is nice. Phone is definitely narrower than the 950XL and a bit narrower than the Moto X Pure. It's really nice for one handed operation for me.

I'm 'spoiled' with Nova Prime Launcher so that's what I'm using.

Camera is really good and I really like the wide angle lens it sports. Pretty impressive.

I'm glad to find that I can go all day on a charge with plenty to spare (for my usual usage).

I'll stick with this one for a spell based on my first day and a half of usage.

...and wow --- they still have the Alcatel 4s with Windows on display --- $288.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Here's the start screen from my new Android phone using Launcher 10. Some of the tiles are animated too. It makes a better Windows Phone than W10M did.

I'm using an SMS app that can be configured to look very much like the Windows Messages app, and I'm using MSoft's SwiftKey keyboard.

I'm quite happy now, got the best of both worlds.

Screenshot_20170514-133410_zps13qzrusy.png

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Here's a wide angle shot taken with the G6 ... I think I was about 8" away.
20170514_142430c.jpg

Phone is very smooth operating, responsive (of course it's new).
I'm enjoying it. Glad I got it! I just wish it had front firing speakers like my Moto X Pure and Alcatel Idol 4s.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have some questions for those of you using launchers.

1. Is there any launcher that mimics the transparent tiles of W10M? Every one I've used has the colored tile scheme from 8/8.1 and the thick borders.

2. Can you pin individual Outlook accounts to the "Start Screen" like W10M?

3. Are there any DroidBerry users out there that can confirm if these launchers support Hub notifications?

I've sold off my Idol, Passport and G5 in my latest attempt (in vain) to settle on one device. Still keeping the iPhone as a top drawer backup, though. Seeing the vast improvements BlackBerry has made to the Hub for Android I'm re-visiting the Priv. Being able to pin individual email accounts is yuuuge for me and the Hub does this now. I don't know how recent this is since it's been about a year and a half since my last affair with a Priv and it wasn't available then.

I'll be keeping a close eye on that KEYone and the goings on with WoA. Slowly but surely I'm whittling down my choices to DroidBerry or Windows (if the ARM experiment goes well).

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have some questions for those of you using launchers.

1. Is there any launcher that mimics the transparent tiles of W10M? Every one I've used has the colored tile scheme from 8/8.1 and the thick borders.

2. Can you pin individual Outlook accounts to the "Start Screen" like W10M?

3. Are there any DroidBerry users out there that can confirm if these launchers support Hub notifications?

I've sold off my Idol, Passport and G5 in my latest attempt (in vain) to settle on one device. Still keeping the iPhone as a top drawer backup, though. Seeing the vast improvements BlackBerry has made to the Hub for Android I'm re-visiting the Priv. Being able to pin individual email accounts is yuuuge for me and the Hub does this now. I don't know how recent this is since it's been about a year and a half since my last affair with a Priv and it wasn't available then.

I'll be keeping a close eye on that KEYone and the goings on with WoA. Slowly but surely I'm whittling down my choices to DroidBerry or Windows (if the ARM experiment goes well).

Good questions .... I'm unaware of any.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Wow the Priv! How's the one device thing going for you so far?

At the moment, I'm finding it mostly good to have a break from the switching. My Pixel is being fixed so my hand has been forced to use one phone for a while.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow the Priv! How's the one device thing going for you so far?

At the moment, I'm finding it mostly good to have a break from the switching. My Pixel is being fixed so my hand has been forced to use one phone for a while.
I always liked the Priv but Android was the Achilles heel. BlackBerry's Android apps have come a long way since 2015 and it makes it seem a little less Androidy and more like a Passport. Not to mention the BlackBerry keyboards, physical and virtual. Battery life is still a challenge but the additional BB tweaks help.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Sadly I have taken my 950 off cellular and will not be using it as my daily driver. This has nothing to do with the performance of the device or OS even though it has been running fast ring and has its bugs (totally expected). I made my decision to bite the Apple based on my expectations of what the device should easily be able to do in 2017 and MS' lack of enthusiasm for W10m. The device capabilities are depreciated by a lack of apps. Many apps that are sustainable on other OS' are not available due to a lack of users. No app, no users. No users, no app. In an app centric mobile space that's just a fact of life. Catch 22, chicken and the egg; this argument has been beaten to death. I don't prescribe to the argument that MS built something no one wanted. Many reviews of Windows Phones going back to WP 7 days lauded the OS and pans were based primarily on the lack of apps in the store, so the tech bloggers had a hand in discouraging adoption by users whose biggest complaint again was a lack of apps. MS did not do itself any favors by constantly rebooting to curry favor with developers and leaving users in the dust, even though Google and its OEM's consistently do this WP users expected better. I prefer not to delve into the whole Nokia debacle suffice to say that two wrongs do not make a right. I will keep the 950 running and updated as long as it will last to see what MS actually does with W10m and from time to time run it on wifi. I will install anything new I find interesting and maintain my Insider status holding a small glimmer of hope. I will miss live tiles, dark theme and the UI/UX I have grown so accustomed to but for now my day to day will be an iPhone 7 plus because it just gives me possibilities to do more and I don't trust Google enough for me to use one of their devices and make it look like Windows. I've been a user since my HTC Surround and the ride has been fun and sometimes exciting.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
What happened to your Pixel?

I must admit, I am liking the SE quite a bit as well. I just use it a little bit each night. Still not ready to switch to it as my primary device though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
What happened to your Pixel?

I must admit, I am liking the SE quite a bit as well. I just use it a little bit each night. Still not ready to switch to it as my primary device though.

Basically, I bought it secondhand and later realized that it has a mic issue after closing the sale. The person who I bought it from wasn't the original owner and Google only helps you out if you have the receipt, and IMEI from that person. Thankfully, uBreakiFix doesn't care about all of that.

Glad to hear you are liking the SE though.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow that stinks. I had people asking about the mic issue when I was trying to sell mine. Never had any issue with it though.

I use both the Pixel and SE for a few minutes each night, just to keep things cleaned up, and see whats going on "on the other side". Those little red notification bubbles drive me crazy and my OCD makes me need to clear them (I do the same with live tiles though). When I pick up my wife's iphone and see all of them it about makes my head explode, and I wonder how she can just let them alone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow that stinks. I had people asking about the mic issue when I was trying to sell mine. Never had any issue with it though.

I use both the Pixel and SE for a few minutes each night, just to keep things cleaned up, and see whats going on "on the other side". Those little red notification bubbles drive me crazy and my OCD makes me need to clear them (I do the same with live tiles though). When I pick up my wife's iphone and see all of them it about makes my head explode, and I wonder how she can just let them alone.

Yeah that's why people ask. The mic issue is a hardware thing. Hopefully you wouldn't need it, but uBreakiFix is officially partnered with Google to service the Pixel phones. They can basically fix anything wrong.

I really like the Pixel so that's why I'm bothering with this. It's still the best small phone all around on Android. That's the only issue with it for me, but it's a very important one.

Anyway, I agree about the badges! I always clean those as soon as I can. One thing I do like about iOS is how easy it is to control notifications for every app. That is still a pain on Android, and some apps on W10M just don't appear in the notifications app to control.

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
If the rumored iPhone Edition that comes out later this year after the 7s/7s+ truly lives up to the hype, it shall take the throne from my iPhone 6 as my secondary phone. OLED screen, minimal bezels, wireless charging... if it's all true, I will once again camp out in front of the apple store as I did in the past with the releases of the 3G, 3GS, 4, 5S, and 6.

Yes, I carry two phones around with me everywhere I go. And I will never let go of my WP. The iPhone is tethered to my 950 for data so I can use iMessage and iCloud. I guess you could call me a masochist, suffering from severe stockholm syndrome for W10M.

I can't do android. It's such a convoluted and aesthetically unappealing operating system from the foundation itself (IMO). Maybe it's all the skins and custom ROMs manufacturers put on top of android, but it's still the same underneath. Never tried a Pixel so maybe that's better. I have a Galaxy S6 Edge and the android version of the Alcatel Idol 4S, they drive me insane when I need to use an app not on WP, I try, but always end up using my iPhone in the end. Like apple says, it just works. Also, iOS is far more secure than android, I mean seriously, simply the existence of MalwareBytes and anti-virus apps on the Play store is ridiculous, even W10S is more secure than android. Not to mention the fragmentation of android is ridiculous. Alright, sorry about that, rant over. Carry on.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm currently using BB10 and it has been pretty rock solid aside from a few random restarts. I can't think of any apps that have crashed on me.

That's because there are none! (I LOVED my 9650, except for the small size. When it finally died and I was issued a Q10, I knew there had to be something better.)

I was thikning of this thread last night. I decided to use my SGS6 to load Waze and have it guide me home. I have Waze on my X3, but it is "old" so supposedly not as good. However, the colors and line thickness are garish. I just can't get over them.

Yes, things are snappier and work better on the S6 than on my X3, but not sure if I could hang with it. Maybe, since my Microsoft consultant is here helping us with SCCM and W10 / OPP rollout tasks for the week, I'll grab and Iphone again and test drive one for a few weeks and compare with his Iphone 7 Plus. (We have 50 stock units I can always borrow.)

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
That's because there are none! (I LOVED my 9650, except for the small size. When it finally died and I was issued a Q10, I knew there had to be something better.)

I was thikning of this thread last night. I decided to use my SGS6 to load Waze and have it guide me home. I have Waze on my X3, but it is "old" so supposedly not as good. However, the colors and line thickness are garish. I just can't get over them.

Yes, things are snappier and work better on the S6 than on my X3, but not sure if I could hang with it. Maybe, since my Microsoft consultant is here helping us with SCCM and W10 / OPP rollout tasks for the week, I'll grab and Iphone again and test drive one for a few weeks and compare with his Iphone 7 Plus. (We have 50 stock units I can always borrow.)

I can't get Waze to work on my 950 anymore. I reset the phone and now when I install it there is no map. Seems to be another case of if you have the app now and it works, don't ever reset your device or you won't be able to use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss