Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

well. I'm glad. they shifted to the NT kernel. because it's progress to something more better.

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I absolutely love the part where you make fun of people who call the phone too heavy then say it's big enough to break facial bones and that you wouldn't want to run a long distance with it.
If that's not a backhanded compliment I don't know what is!

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

what's so wrong going through a toll road. it's not that expensive. when I lived in the US 2 yrs ago.

MojoDoj0

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Before I bought the 920, I also came to this forum to find information about the phone. And I found almost everything I wanted to know about it. I knew about the things you dont like before I bought it. Thats why I dont think you have the right to complain. The thing I dont understand is why you didnt? I will stick to, If you did your research, why did you buy the phonein the first place? If you did not, You dont have the right to complain. You can see everywhere on the internet that some apps are having problems. So either you knew about the app problems and just wanted to complain or you didnt knew which also make it your own fault. No matter how you twist and turn it, it's your fault....

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

yea. I agree that is kind of an direct insult. he needs to apologise to those people.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

Man. it's your fault you did not do your research. People DO NOT buy the phone straight away. they do their research about it first. So you DO NOT have the right to complain.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

what's so wrong going through a toll road. it's not that expensive. when I lived in the US 2 yrs ago.

Nothing wrong with it, but if you tell your navigation device you don't want to take a toll road, it should darn well give you an alternate route. I haven't tried it myself, but Nokia Drive should allow you to avoid toll roads, even in its current beta state (see the second button on the options strip?). No idea why it didn't work for the OP.

Nokia-Drive-Beta-map-route-options.jpg

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Terrific review, very balanced I think. A lot of fanboys want to engage in their fantasy world of windows phone being perfect, well it might be for them but not for everyone else. Windows phone while a breath of fresh air, still needs work and time to mature.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I love how everyone is saying he has no right to complain... It honestly feels like they don't want to hear that WP has flaws. Yeah, god damn it has flaws, but I love Windows Phone and am getting with Windows Phone 8, and can tell I'll enjoy it. But how about this, if people don't raise issues with the OS, how the heck is it meant to improve? Answer me that one.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

maybe he didn't set it. or how doesn't know how to use it properly

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

I love how everyone is saying he has no right to complain... It honestly feels like they don't want to hear that WP has flaws. Yeah, god damn it has flaws, but I love Windows Phone and am getting with Windows Phone 8, and can tell I'll enjoy it. But how about this, if people don't raise issues with the OS, how the heck is it meant to improve? Answer me that one.

Exactly. I love WP, is it perfect no. But it serves me well, and I've actually had several coworkers asking about my phone in the last few days. The OP has some legitimate concerns/unmet needs/wants, and isn't saying they will never consider coming back, but wanting to see how the platform matures, and pointing out areas where they felt improvement was needed. I'm personally willing to be part of the active process of using the phone/OS and let my feedback help improve the platform. The OP is wanting to see what develops a little further before making a choice.

mythra

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

The review is presented as a balanced review but that's not really the case. I believe your heart already BELONGED to the iPhone before you even got the Lumia. WP8/Lumia never really had a chance. The iLost maps probably soured things for you a bit. Now that Google Maps are back, you can go back to 'precious'. Besides 3-4 days isn't enough time to see all aspects of the phone. It doesn't seem like you really explored the Nokia Drive enough because there are indeed options to avoid tolls, etc. Nokia Drive is presented as beta so I'm willing to cut them some slack. Like you, I would also like some features added to it. So I hope Nokia will keep improving. Nokia Music is pretty good, not sure why you didn't try that either. You might be right about the live tile interface getting old and boring at some point. However, the icon interface of ios and android is already old and boring so why should a user compromise. I think I'll enjoy the fresh new interface for now. The camera is good and will get better. I don't think 3-4 would be long enough to appreciate its capabilities, so that's another opportunity wasted.

Anyways, good luck to you. It's good that you at least tried it out and that's a thumbs up from us. There are those people who move to a platform once it's good and ready. This, however, requires the second kind of people. Those who stick around, support it, and help make it better. I'd like to be the second kind so that more people can be the first kind in the future.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
"I'm a reasonable, intelligent person who really gave this phone a chance, and I really really wanted to love it, but it doesn't do things like iOS / Android so I can't recommend it and it's really heartbreaking because I so much wanted to love it.

"If you're a potential buyer sitting on the fence, I want to knock you off! The alternatives are flawless and anyone who is reasonable and intelligent knows this. I like this phone, but it doesn't have App XYZ or Feature QRS, and the beta apps suck, so if you're reasonable and intelligent like me, don't buy it! And if you argue with me, well, this is just my opinion and you must respect it because I am reasonable and intelligent!

"Oh, and I'm not ****** -- that's why I go into user forums and reasonably and intelligently put down the devices people here use! If I were a ******, I wouldn't be so reasonable and intelligent! And it's just MY opinion, so don't question it!"

peterg21

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

"I'm a reasonable, intelligent person who really gave this phone a chance, and I really really wanted to love it, but it doesn't do things like iOS / Android so I can't recommend it and it's really heartbreaking because I so much wanted to love it.

"If you're a potential buyer sitting on the fence, I want to knock you off! The alternatives are flawless and anyone who is reasonable and intelligent knows this. I like this phone, but it doesn't have App XYZ or Feature QRS, and the beta apps suck, so if you're reasonable and intelligent like me, don't buy it! And if you argue with me, well, this is just my opinion and you must respect it because I am reasonable and intelligent!

"Oh, and I'm not ****** -- that's why I go into user forums and reasonably and intelligently put down the devices people here use! If I were a ******, I wouldn't be so reasonable and intelligent! And it's just MY opinion, so don't question it!"

And your response is that of the archetypal ******. Congratulations! People like you, with responses like this, do more damage to potential adopters than any negative reviews.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Well Jolly, thank your for sharing your pearls of wisdom. Without them, I don't know what I would have done.

Okay, on a serious note, the reason why a few people jumped on you (and this goes to some of the people defending this as a good review), you basically came to a WP forum to tell us why YOU didn't like WP and why you were going back to the iPhone. This wasn't a review, it was a personal editorial novel on reasons you liked the iPhone more than WP.

And as to why many people didn't read your entire post, well, We're not being fanboys. It simply because that we have heard many of the same concerns before; and we still feel WP8 is superior to iOS and Android (I have owned both, and they have many issues too and are not nearly as useful to me as WP). And secondly, we really don't freaking care why you dislike WP. Remember, if it's one place people will take offense to a 'why I left your device...' post it's in a forum dedicated to said device. It wouldn't be any different from me going and extolling my fine opinion on why I left my HTC Shift for WP8 (which I wouldn't do, because that would be, cough, trolling!). So please let's all stop the silly ****** labeling here.

If you want to go to iOS or Android, please do so. But also, please spare us the great insights you possess about why WP is lacking. Remember, it's okay to get the phone you like. Life is too short to have to deal with a phone you think isn't adequate for your needs. That's why I left iOS and Android and jumped to WP8, which is the best mobile OS there is by far IMHO.

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Man. it's your fault you did not do your research. People DO NOT buy the phone straight away. they do their research about it first. So you DO NOT have the right to complain.
I respectfully disagree. Plenty of people buy phones without good research as you imply.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

I dunno. Man. everybody I know do research. So I can't say. my opinion of course

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

Nothing like a self indulgent thread to get the weekend started. Thanks for giving it a try.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Hmm, I disagree. I think if you post an honest concern here people will listen earnestly. But if you have already made up your mind and are simply posting your parting opinion on why WP isn't as good as [insert favorite device here] then please just leave. I don't think I saw any revelations in Jolly's post, it was just his opinion on why WP8 wasn't for him.

And I think most of the people here readily acknowledge that WP8 and the phones have issues and we use this forum to share those concerns. In fact, many of the seasoned posters here are the ones asking for fixes. You just need to read the posts. Perhaps we do it in different ways however, as this point no one has called me a troll yet or bashed on me (not that I'm a seasoned poster). Additionally, I have sent two message explaining my concerns to Nokia on Drive and battery life (well resolved with tips I got from this forum). Many times the option to send feedback is right in the app.

So yes, raising concerns or asking for improvements is fine. Coming here to deliver some personal spiel when you have already made up your mind is simply a waste of your time and ours; especially when many of us know WP8 has issues, yet we still find it superior to iOS and Android with their issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster