Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I usually don't comment on "leaving WP and returning to device X" threads, as most are terrible. I thought yours was good. Thanks! I enjoyed the read.

A few comments:

• The situation with mobile IE10 is complicated. Although it is seems natural to blame mobile IE10, reality isn't that simple and clear-cut. If you are interested you may want to read this thread, which also mentions how to get around errors some mobile websites haven't bothered to fix, a.k.a. the "fake user agent trick".
  • Nokia Drive is still beta software. I'm expecting it will take Nokia another two months until they get a half decent version out. Coming to WP8 now means accepting the status of an early adopter. However, you are clearly a "it just has to work" type of person. That is a mismatch that can't be bridged. Either you were two months too early to the party, or Nokia/Microsoft too late.
  • Xbox music is definitely a weak spot. It was rushed. Did you try out Nokia Music (a.k.a. Mix Radio)?
I don't agree with your take on live tiles becoming as boring as a grid of icons. Live tiles aren't just about being new or different. The ability to have all the information you care about slapped right up on your start screen is extremely useful. This adds personality to a device, that a grid of icons can never achieve, no matter how crazy the background wallpaper is.

I'm glad you enjoyed your tour of WP8. As far as I can tell it is exactly the right device for you, but you aren't an early adopter type of person. That is the only issue.

Thank you. And that's just it.... I WANT to love the device....it's just there weren't some alternatives for some of the things that I needed and didn't work just yet.

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Uh I don't know if you have a crappy computer or you just don't know how to use them but with my computer IE10 runs flawless for me and I actually use it on all of my computers. 98% of the people that say IE10 is crap either don't know how to use a computer and load a bunch of spyware programs to protect them, or just do it to join the hate.
You took my quote completely out of context. And apparently didn't read. I have a windows 8 laptop as I stated in my review, so yes, I know IE 10. I was stating Facebook on the desktop setting of the IE browser is a horrible experience.
But yeah, thanks for the snarky reply in suggesting I don't know the basics of a web browser or that I don't even know how to use a computer properly. Choice.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

Jolly, sorry to see you go for the time being. I've been a WP user since just after launch of 7, and have also used all three OS. My personal ranking is WP7/8, iOS, then android. iOS and WP just work. With iPhone, yes it's nice, but I don't see the innovation there as much any more, see their current commercial about the noise cancellation feature. They're not the only one t offer that, nor the first I believe (feel free to correct me, I may be wrong). The 920s noise cancellation I good enough that when my car had a pre catalytic converter exhaust leak (basically was running open headers) people could still understand me while I was driving. If I could I would do a comparison, except I've gotten my car fixed now.

I do hope you come back to WP, it seems it/we have drawn you in, just you maybe jumped in a little early. Stick around and see what happens.

Lawrence Crecy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

You took my quote completely out of context. And apparently didn't read. I have a windows 8 laptop as I stated in my review, so yes, I know IE 10. I was stating Facebook on the desktop setting of the IE browser is a horrible experience.
But yeah, thanks for the snarky reply in suggesting I don't know the basics of a web browser or that I don't even know how to use a computer properly. Choice.

That's totally opposite of what your quote says. I'm reading a lot of your posts and it just seems like BS to me.. For 1 Microsoft has a perfect Facebook app on the phone with no ad's, and IE-Mobile puts Safari in the dirt because you can actually surf the desktop version of the sites with no problems what so ever on the phone(unlike Safari), and 1 more thing; Did you just post this to get everyone riled up? I mean anyone with a right mind can clearly see this is a new OS and it will have its problems but in a year or so it will be changing the Android vs iPhone argument into Android vs Windows, not that it hasn't already.

MojoDoj0

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

The thing that I cant understand is that you said you had problem with the navigation app. That one of the deal breakers for you. Did you do some research before you bought the 920? Because I have a big BETA writen on my Nokia Drive. if your dont know what BETA means, well thats your problem. You are complaining about a new OS. When I switched from iOS to WP8, I KNEW I had to patient for the biggest apps. If you dont do your research before you buy ANYTHING, then you dont have the right to complain when you dont like it. Did you do your research?

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

The thing that I cant understand is that you said you had problem with the navigation app. That one of the deal breakers for you. Did you do some research before you bought the 920? Because I have a big BETA writen on my Nokia Drive. if your dont know what BETA means, well thats your problem. You are complaining about a new OS. When I switched from iOS to WP8, I KNEW I had to patient for the biggest apps. If you dont do your research before you buy ANYTHING, then you dont have the right to complain when you dont like it. Did you do your research?

Oh, horsesh*t. Microsoft/Nokia love to play a game of slapping "Beta" on everything and then using that excuse as to why it doesn't work for a crap. Think I'm wrong? Who else pretends a POS app is in BETA for 2 1/2 yrs? Ala Skype anyone? BETA with Microsoft and it's affiliates is code for "we don't know what we are doing, so don't bother complaining". How long was Here in flipping BETA? Did it ever get out of it? I'm wearing a BETA hat to work for now on and I can't be responsible for anything.

peterg21

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

You would have saved us and your self time with not writing all that and just returned to the iphone 5. Belive me, no one cares.... You are talking about a new OS. Android and iOS both have been working on their OS since 2007. In 5 years, even I can bring a good OS to the table. I had an iphone 4s and lost respect for Apple when they annouced the Iphone 5. They are selling the same phone over and over again. oh Im sorry.. the Ip5 has a 4" screen and is a little bit faster... Make the jump quietly please...

I thought it was a well-written, thought-out post. I despise fanboyism, be it on macrumors or here. If no one cared, why did you bother responding?

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
That's totally opposite of what your quote says. I'm reading a lot of your posts and it just seems like BS to me.. For 1 Microsoft has a perfect Facebook app on the phone with no ad's, and IE-Mobile puts Safari in the dirt because you can actually surf the desktop version of the sites with no problems what so ever on the phone(unlike Safari), and 1 more thing; Did you just post this to get everyone riled up? I mean anyone with a right mind can clearly see this is a new OS and it will have its problems but in a year or so it will be changing the Android vs iPhone argument into Android vs Windows, not that it hasn't already.
Again, out of context. We were talking about the desktop version of the mobile ie 10 browser of Facebook. I can't happen to notice the reviews on the app in the ap store of the MS Facebook. It gets very, very poor reviews, and I for one agree with all of them. And I have had difficulty on a few of the sites for ie 10, not all. Like I said, YMMV.

Did I post this to rile everyone up? Apparently that answers my question on if you really read my posts and responses. There's no need to be riled up at all since I give praise across the board for all three OS platforms. You're right, I'm most likely not an early adopter. I'm simply pointing out that some of the only alternatives for what I use are there, but not functioning the way that is expected. Again.....YMMV. If you're getting riled up, that's on your end bud.

RyanR47

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

Dude, don't compare safari with IE 10. Safari is light years ahead of IE.

MojoDoj0

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Beacuse he wrote a review about something he did not research. If he did the research, why buy the phone? If he did not, he dont have the right to complain. Simple as that...

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Beacuse he wrote a review about something he did not research. If he did the research, why buy the phone? If he did not, he dont have the right to complain. Simple as that...

Again, more validation you didn't read anything I wrote. I stated many times I came to this forum for information about the phone before test driving it. Im sorry my stated review didn't line up with yours. I have every right to complain as a consumer if companies publish apps and they don't work as intended, ESPECIALLY if I am paying for them. Nokia Drive plus is a HUGE marketing point right now for the 920, and you can't deny it. Simply stated, there are huge issues for it right now, and I know I'm not the only one experiencing them.

My review is only to help those who are on the fence about the phone. If you aren't dependent on the Nokia Drive as the GPS option such as I am (new to my area, live close to a toll road so I NEED alternative routes. I'm a staffing nurse so I get sent to different facilities DAILY), then it might be a good option.

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

Two reasons....lack of WORKING Spotify alternative, and no Google maps alternative that is even on the same level.

Moolelo

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Great outline of how the average user might view a Lumia 920 when purchasing. But for someone trying to put out a unbiased and balanced review, one thing stands out as flawed
....the point is that I didn't even need 14 days, it only took 3-4.
No valid decision on a product, design, consumer opinion, etc. can be made in simply 3 days. If that were true the iPod never would have made it out of the early 2000's.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

Like I said in my previous post, I can understand some of your decisions. Nokia drive, I like it, but it does still need work. Fortunately I personally have Navigon as an alternate, picked it up a while back when they ran it for $25 or $30. Having the offline maps is a major thing for me, if 'm out on my motorcycle and I have no signal for an online map app. Spotify, I'm curious about t, but I haven't used t before, so not a major issue to me right now. You're going where your needs/wants are currently met, but you're interested enough to stick around and see where WP8 goes, and that makes me think you will be back.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I thought microsoft was in mobile business for 10 years
And yet apparently, this is a new OS.....

WP8 is a completely new OS, that has almost nothing in common with WP7, and even less with Windows Mobile. To make that judgement, whether or not WP8 is a new OS, requires an understanding of software that most people simply lack.

I think Brian Klug from Anandtech also stated it rather well:

"Superficially Windows Phone 8 is very similar to Windows Phone 7.5 and 7 that came before it, but what’s different under the hood is dramatic. The move away from the Windows CE kernel and onto the same NT kernel as Windows 8 and RT run will have far reaching implications for the platform that won’t be immediately visible to users, but is nonetheless the core of what’s new in Windows Phone 8 (henceforth WP8)."

The user interface is a very small (almost irrelevant) part of what makes an operating system tick. The important things are "under the hood", of which nothing has remained the same. In this case even 1st party apps (dialler, calendar, messenger) were redeveloped from the ground up.

WP8, together with WRT are the newest consumer OS's on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos