Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserboy

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

I have used iPhone for 2 years. I could not wait to dump it I used Android for a year on my tablet - hated it - but not as much as iOS.

So my questions: I for one do not understand all the complaints about the facebook app on wp8. I have found it by far more functional than the ios version which never let me do anything I needed to do like easily manage different pages. Seems pretty functional to me though there are some quirks which annoy me, but they are not as bad as not being free to do what I want.

As far as I am concerned, the google maps sucked from day one. I really like Nokia Drive. It works, and works well. the google maps were always laggy and fought every time I tried to get it to give directions.

Apple lost me when their own keynote remote would not work with key note and they would do nothing about it. Period. When I had to use that abomination called iTunes which is the most horrific experience. When I had no way to directly hook my phone to my computer and get anything meaningful out of it. When there is no file system on the phone.

As far as I can see, the only argument that you have put forward is that there is not spotify? weird.

What I have seen is that there are apple users who think they are tech savvy. What I have seen in most cases is that people who use apple devices have a higher opinion of their capabilities than reality warrants.

Regardless, each person's experience is their own. You enjoy iOS. I despise it. Fine.

Edit: forgot to mention the horrible non standard connectors apple uses.

sirfly2fly

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

I don't know, maybe the same reason Apple didn't wait until their maps app was polished?

lol, that would apply if i owned an iOS product but i don't know why they rushed it. I was posing a serious question for a real answer. I come on here because WP8 is the newest platform so im slightly interested, was bringing it first w/ app and optimization problems better than bringing it "late" and great?

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The real answer is they knew it was 95% ready, like iOS and Android. Bottom line is all phones are never really finished, there's a new tweak or enhancement that will be added. Personally I'm glad they released it, I have been waiting for weeks and I want a phone that is imho better than a iPhone or Android even with any perceived issues.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I would return to iOS if they had a 4.7 inch screen, 128Gb or memory and a Nvidia GPU on their SOC. Also I want better battery life than my OneX+ or 8X... like double as good. Plus a decent reception. NOT MADE IN CHINA! Maybe I would return to iOS.

dmw_4814

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
Well it will be the biggest mistake. Just please give windows phone 8 more time.
More time?!! Windows Phone 7/7.5 has been out for more than two years now; Windows Phone 8 is supposed to be an IMPROVEMENT upon that, NOT ten steps backwards!Just how long, exactly, are we supposed to wait?I want to be able to use it, I really do. But, I returned my Lumia 920 to AT&T at 14 days, mostly due to the HOT MESS called Xbox Music. It completely screwed-up my personal music collection I placed on my phone by rewriting Metadata tag info with what it THINKS is correct, but I'm very anal about that stuff, and ALL my tag info was already correct. The result was albums being split in two, with some tracks on one and some on another; MUCH missing album art, and near constant error messages that "We can't play that type of file on your phone" (they're .WMA files - WTF?)!!I carry my music on my phone and listen to it while driving. This made the phone unusable for me. WP 7/7.5 & the Zune client handled this with NO problem whatsoever!

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

I thought microsoft was in mobile business for 10 years

Yep - WinCE for 7 years, and post iPhone collapse, WP7 (shell on top of winCE core, but using new UI) and then WP8 (new UI, Windows 8 core OS) - WP8 is pretty much the same as iOS 1.0, 2007. Or Android 1.0. The first release on a modern kernel, with new APIs and services.As such, it's not shocking at all that its a little raw. The potential (esp. given the much closer ties to desktop and RT slate space) is there. Just don't expect it to be all there, just yet!

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Well I was a WP7 user and decided to go a different direction and switched to a Samsung Galaxy Note II. The wife went from a Droid To the Nokia Lumia 920. I enjoyed windows phone but I couldn't pass up the Note II since I'm a power user.

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am emotionally tired and frustrated

Random reboots, no updates for unlocked phones, crappy camera on launch day, live tiles not updating, poor battery life, not compatible wp8 games and apps (lied by Microsoft), no photosynth, or other Microsoft own titles.

Yesterday's news was the last drop, I am emotionally exhausted and don't want to do anything with WP anymore, my passion is gone and I don't give a crap about Microsoft nor Nokia anymore, it's been a nice journey, since the very first WP7 bbuild, unfortunatelly, this is the end for me.

VWvCv.jpg

Bye

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: I am emotionally tired and frustrated

For some the issues and problems can be too much. It's ok though. Find what you want in a phone and go for it!

I have owned both Andriod Phones and Several iPhones. This is my first Windows Phone. So far, despite the issues I've seen and problems I myself am having I am going to stick it out.
I do get a sense of satisfaction when that update comes out and we see improvements. All this was lost on other OS's where updates barely introduce new features etc.

Sorry to see you go but No one blames you. It's been a rocky start for WP8 and Nokia but hey that's ok. It will get better and it will improve. Despite my issues my interactions with Nokia, Microsoft and AT&T have been great.

Good luck to you.

Awaz

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: I am emotionally tired and frustrated

Wow....that is a lot of issues you are having. I had a few minor issues, but none like that. My phone has been running great since I bought it a month or so ago. But mine is locked with AT&T. Wonder if you just got a lemon...or did you mess with it?

jreed3000

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

He's not happy with IOS or Android and they've been out since 2009. There's no way he'd be happy with something JUST released - take his long review with a grain of salt. Its not like facebook doesnt want their app to work just as well.

Nokia maps has been updated since his post (as well as the windows 8 phone OS) - the traffic flow is now beautiful. The ability to pick which maps you want offline (by state or region - i have the whole east coast) is great - and that at that point if you're on the road, all your're trying to get is the traffic data. On IOS/android if you're constantly downloading the map - waiting for that - then the traffic etc. Nokia has been great - the traffic has not been wrong, and I have not gotten lost.

Pandora on windows 8 mobile - will be out early 2013 and will come with free 1 year premium subscription.

Xbox division will start coming out with games which will clearly be better than crappy .99 cent games at this point (again -to me, i dont care about games - if i want to game i'll play a nintendo or sony product)

Personally i dont care about apps (ios or android). I need the phone to work, sound good (calls), onscreen keyboard to be nice, good browser, good texting interface, exchange email, and I want long battery - this phone nails all of those things and I havent looked back. Came from s2 skyrocket (had atrix, galaxy1, iphone3gs, old treos and windows phones) - passed up the s3 and note 2 for this phone.

The screen on this phone doesnt get enough tech-justice - it has a higher resolution AND higher DPI than iphone, s3, and note 2. That means your eyes will thank you if you're the type that just stares at the phone for hours on end. There's no real way to describe how great the feel of this screen is (a plus of the 920 over other windows phones). I find it impressive that this phone can even be sold for $99 (cheaper on radio shack tv ads).

If you rely heavily on 3rd party apps - he might be right, it might be too soon to adopt Windows 8 mobile, but much will change just a few months from now. Many apps ppl use have been integrated into windows 8.

Shazaam funtion - built into bing
note making - MS One Note (so great making notes on here) - quickly make check boxes, bullets, copy in a picture, or even a voice clip into a note.

Also - linking your sky drive then having the ability to open office apps - is great. I've heard rumors of eventually being able play music that you can upload into your sky drive (and just play on your phone). 7gb of skydrive if you can house your music there?? Thats pretty neat to me.

Least we forget the best camera thats ever been in a phone - hands down and then when you take a picture - its syncs right to your skydrive (no more losing picture when phone dies or new phone, etc).

When making Win8 phone apps - MS wants there to be continuity. This was a con in the above review - but this makes it easy to understand every app - and its even posted on MS's website for developers (not that you cant do what you want - but if an app is mainly content based - the MS recommended flow works well (espn fantasy football app is really nice - best FF app i've seen - its the first time id rather use an app then go to the main website).

Just remember that original iphone owners think the new androids are great - and the 1st android owners think the new iphones are great. IOS and Android might have 1 million or more apps each - but lets face it - the majority of users only want the few popular apps - fb (or ur choice of social media), angry birds, news apps, weather apps - They'll all be there soon. Until then - enjoy the original reasons you're interested in the 920, great functionality, reliable, and like you said - "it just works" (i've been waiting for a phone "that just works").

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I've been a long-time Windows Mobile user and I just "upgraded" to an HTC 8X.
I use the term "updated" loosely (and in parenthesis), because of all the things that I lost in getting this phone.
Hehehe...

I lost my unlimited data, ability to use the screen with gloves on, ability to just tap in a word and the cursor go to that spot, hardware direction keys, programmable buttons, an actual call button (imagine that, on a phone), swype, etc...
Granted, some of those issues have nothing to do with the 8X or Windows Phone 8.
In some cases, any "upgrade" would have to be put in quotes.
But, specifically with Windows Phone 8, I'm really surprised at just how many things changed that have worked so well for years.

Now that the rant is over, let me note some good things...
I really like the live tiles and the "glance-and-go" idealism.
I do websites and I try to do the exact same thing with them (give them the most current and relevant information with a quick look at the home page).
And that, right there, is probably the biggest sticking point.

If I had it to do all over again (and I don't, because I purchased a subsidized phone about a month ago), I would have purchased my 8X retail.
Then I would be able to sell it, if I chose, and purchase the Motorola RAZR M (I'm on Verizon and I don't like big phones).
Honestly, I've never liked Android (which surprised the crap out of me, also having used Linux for years).
It really does feel, to me, like the spiritual successor to Windows Mobile, though.
Granted, you couldn't do a whole lot with Windows Mobile (in it's stock configuration), but you could hack the crap out of it.
I really don't like a sea of shortcuts, though (back to what I really like about the live tiles).
I guess I could always just pony up and buy a used Android phone and then I'd be able to switch back and forth, as whimsy takes me.
JJ

Oktay Gardener

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Leaving Windows Phone 8 for crApple until it isn't a catastrophe.

Hey guys. So after a month with Windows Phone 8 & the Lumia 920 (or eight days total), and after four replaced phones I had enough. (Total 5 phones)

And here's why, it's pretty obvious.

The OS is still very new, and has a very long to go.
It doesn't feel like Microsoft listens to their loyal and small phone-fan base (COUGH, this forum).
This saddens me a lot because everyone I know at my university (I'm a guest lecturer
for my computer classes for my own class) and I have to defend them on a regular basis.
And after I've held the iPhone 5, I can understand the "Hulk" comments that the 920 got.

* The rattle was driving me crazy,
the last phone didn't have the rattle, but I still couldn't get over:

* the Purple filter on the front camera, what the **** is up with that?
Either it's a software issue or the front camera in lower light is simply not usable.

* The motherfreaking notifications. I'm not waiting 15 to 20 minutes for
a notification on Twitter/Facebook/KIK/Viber/Anything. Just saying.
Microsoft if you're listening, get your mother****ing **** together, seriously.

tumblr_ls5xd88bfZ1r2xskno1_500.gif

* IE 10 Special Premium Edition #TheBrowserYouUsedToHate...........
Still doesn't have a "forward" button in the browser.....
Back, back, forth & forth..... Guess not Microsoft! #StillHatingIt

* The day of doom. When your Xbox Music subscription is going out
and Microsoft has to suck the money from your account, you're ****ed.
First off the transaction doesn't go smoothly, and you'll have to be without
your music a while, and when it's finally activated - you won't be able to
download any music. It's time to go to About and reset that motha! Have fun!

KellyBeyConfused.png

* The Music player. I actually bought an additional month of Xbox Music because
I loved it, but not being able to make playlists or even more - edit them is just
something that should've been on Windows Phone 7.0.0.0.0.0.0

* No Spotify, but it was coming I know, but in a few months.

* No Instagram, and won't be available until the platform has gained a larger
user base- so much for that tight relationship with Facebook, right Microsoft?
You should really feel screwed by Zuckerberg.

Conclusion: I simply couldn't use this as my primary device because of the OS. I felt technically
absent to check Facebook, Twitter, listen to my music collection, and through the cloud when
I needed to, check my bank account, use iZettle, have a decent public transfer application (Stockholm, Sweden).

What I'm gonna miss: The Lumia 920 rear camera. This camera is a masterpiece
and the low light photos does what it says to do. Loved it, gonna miss it, but I would offer it
a hundred times for all the other burdens on this phone and OS.

I love the concept of the Windows Phone and I really wanted it to work. But it is not ready yet, it's in it's first stages, I get that.
And after this iPhone 5 is ****ed up in about 1-2 years I'll come back and see what has happened. Love this forum and I'll still check back for updates!

blagt.gif

OppfinnarJocke

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Long press to move cursor...? Come on..!

How on earth did MS reason when they decided that it is a good thing to have long press move the cursor, and short press to select word? When editing text, the action I do most is move the cursor, not selecting words, and I do not think that I am unique there. Therefore, it seems much more reasonable to have the quickest action, short press, to move the cursor, and the slower action, long press, to select word. And not only do you have to long press for the cursor to appear, when it appears it turns up in a place so that you have to move your finger to position it. I have already moved my finger to where I want the cursor to be, why this long awkward, work-flow-killing procedure just to move the cursor?

And I know that iOS also got this wrong, it doesn't make it right. What were they thinking...?

I'm sorry I'm ranting, but I had high expectations on my HTC 8X WP8 phone, it looks sooo slick, but alas... I had to return it, it falls very short of my two year old Android 2.2 phone.

dm984

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You're unique relative to me; I rarely use the cursor, so I prefer the current method. When I need the cursor its usually at the end or beginning of a word and it can be placed with a single tap if you land it perfectly, otherwise just tap again (on the now highlighted word) and it'll revert to a cursor.

In any case, just type with fewer mistakes ;P

WOAHesco

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Long press to move cursor...? Come on..!

When you bought this phone did you just look at it and say "i want!" or did you go to the store and test it out and look up if the important features you wanted were on it? if you've already returned the phone, why are you on here ranting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte