Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think you and me are different when it comes to the iOS keyboard. I hate it. No swipe/jump text, no deal for me.

No I don't like it either. But most of what I do on the iPad doesn't require input of much more than a username/password or a search term. Since it switches to the default keyboard half the time anyway, I just leave it. If I did any more on it, or if I used an iPhone, I would certainly use another keyboard.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
No I don't like it either. But most of what I do on the iPad doesn't require input of much more than a username/password or a search term. Since it switches to the default keyboard half the time anyway, I just leave it. If I did any more on it, or if I used an iPhone, I would certainly use another keyboard.

Ooh okay, I see. That makes a lot of sense.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I loved Wordflow. Since it is gone I just use the default keyboard. None of the alternatives appeal to me. It's a shame they (Microsoft) discontinued it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I loved Wordflow. Since it is gone I just use the default keyboard. None of the alternatives appeal to me. It's a shame they (Microsoft) discontinued it.

It went with WP8 right? I saw an article on that recently about all the dissapointed iPhone users it would leave behind, and how the end of WP8 marked the start of that.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what triggered the removal, and I think Microsoft directed people to SwiftKey, but I don't like that one as much, and I find it easier just to use the iOS keyboard, even though it doesn't have a period on the main keyboard, and the auto-correct isn't as good.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what triggered the removal, and I think Microsoft directed people to SwiftKey, but I don't like that one as much, and I find it easier just to use the iOS keyboard, even though it doesn't have a period on the main keyboard, and the auto-correct isn't as good.

Yeah I missed the boat with the SwiftKey love on iOS...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm indecisive.

I have been using the A3 but I find myself wondering when it will show me that it needs to be cleared again. This waiting period is going to be a bit challenging. Scenarios are rolling out in my mind of different possibilities in the range of things that are just dumb to trying things again anyway, even though I shouldn't.

Meanwhile, I'm debating if I should keep my 650 or not. I do like it but I find myself buying apps (as in non-free ones) just in the name of supporting the platform. I also have to get myself to try to turn it on sometimes, but the rarity of finding it again it makes me hold on it anyway.

Very much a 1st world problem to have haha...

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm indecisive.

I have been using the A3 but I find myself wondering when it will show me that it needs to be cleared again. This waiting period is going to be a bit challenging. Scenarios are rolling out in my mind of different possibilities in the range of things that are just dumb to trying things again anyway, even though I shouldn't.

Meanwhile, I'm debating if I should keep my 650 or not. I do like it but I find myself buying apps (as in non-free ones) just in the name of supporting the platform. I also have to get myself to try to turn it on sometimes, but the rarity of finding it again it makes me hold on it anyway.

I feel your pain. I just sold my X3. Not because I didn't love it and like to use it but because I had too much invested dollar wise. If it had been the 650, I would have kept it for use on those cold rainy Arizona winter night when I need warm and fuzzy feelings.LOL

Just bought a LG V20 to complement my iPhone 6s+.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I feel your pain. I just sold my X3. Not because I didn't love it and like to use it but because I had too much invested dollar wise. If it had been the 650, I would have kept it for use on those cold rainy Arizona winter night when I need warm and fuzzy feelings.LOL

Just bought a LG V20 to complement my iPhone 6s+.

Yeah, that's totally understandable. Haha, true about the warm and fuzzy feelings. I think it's a hard place to be at right now.

Congrats on the V20! How are you liking it so far? That sounds like a solid combo.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I do like it but I find myself buying apps (as in non-free ones) just in the name of supporting the platform.

This is commendable, but isn't it kind of throwing money down the drain at this point? More people should have done this several years ago.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This is commendable, but isn't it kind of throwing money down the drain at this point? More people should have done this several years ago.

It is. I tell myself that I'm going to stop but then I cave because I hear about an app here that might work for me. Buying apps for multiple app stores is a problem. I recently got Grover Pro which has been worth the purchase but still.

The irony for me is that I have only paid for 2 apps ($5 total probably) in the App Store (iOS), $21 worth of apps (Nine, launchers, icon packs, add-ons) in the Play Store, and about $25 worth of apps/add-ons from the Windows Store (I have had paid for more, but that amount comes from the time I decided not to use a WP as a phone to now).

I'm really going to try to stop because I could have put that into something else...

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I know that feeling. I bought a 650 recently because I love how the phone looks and feels (best of the newer phones for sure). I found a white one on ebay, which I always loved the looks of, and bought it. I don't need it by any means and pretty much bought it and am keeping it just because I like it. I use my 640 more anyway, because I generally have it in my laptop bag for work just in case and find myself messing with it. I think I will probably sell the 650 and keep the 640 (it is pretty much valueless at this point anyway). I guess if I can't get a couple bucks for it, or at least close to what I paid, I will just keep it.

I too was buying apps just to support the platform, but now that I am just playing with the phone and not using it as a phone I have cut back on that pretty much (and sadly I haven't seen any new apps that were worth supporting).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I know that feeling. I bought a 650 recently because I love how the phone looks and feels (best of the newer phones for sure). I found a white one on ebay, which I always loved the looks of, and bought it. I don't need it by any means and pretty much bought it and am keeping it just because I like it. I use my 640 more anyway, because I generally have it in my laptop bag for work just in case and find myself messing with it. I think I will probably sell the 650 and keep the 640 (it is pretty much valueless at this point anyway). I guess if I can't get a couple bucks for it, or at least close to what I paid, I will just keep it.

I too was buying apps just to support the platform, but now that I am just playing with the phone and not using it as a phone I have cut back on that pretty much (and sadly I haven't seen any new apps that were worth supporting).

First, I'm so jealous of your white 650. That is the stunning one. Glad not to be alone here. Most people I know think that I'm crazy.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
@libra89
Have you ever owned or used a Lumia 550? What do you think of that phone?

I have owned it (2 times actually haha). I loved the size of it a lot. The cameras were surprising considering the price point. I wasn't able to use ProShot without it crashing so it didn't work out for me.

The size of it took me back to the Lumia 521, which was a great size of a phone for me and I still seek phones close to that, i.e. the iPhone SE, Sony Xperia X Compact and the future Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact to come...

Edit: Not sure how I forgot about the 735, that was nice on 8.1...

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, that's totally understandable. Haha, true about the warm and fuzzy feelings. I think it's a hard place to be at right now.

Congrats on the V20! How are you liking it so far? That sounds like a solid combo.

Just got it today but so far I like it. A solid phone and easy to use. It helps to have had android phones in the past. Made the learning a bit flatter.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just got it today but so far I like it. A solid phone and easy to use. It helps to have had android phones in the past. Made the learning a bit flatter.
That's great to hear!😊 I've had mine for 3 weeks now, and I love it. I'll have to play around more with the RAW camera feature. I shot a picture in RAW earlier today to show my friends, and they were impressed with the quality.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was going to hop back into WP world for a bit on my 950XL, but after a day with it I had to switch back. I do have apps that cover my basic smartphone needs, but after a few months back on iOS most of them seem ugly and clunky. :( If only I could put the Lumia camera module in the 6S Plus.. Meanwhile the 950XL is the perfect bedside alarm clock / Kindle reader. A $650 alarm clock, worth it!! :D

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I was going to hop back into WP world for a bit on my 950XL, but after a day with it I had to switch back. I do have apps that cover my basic smartphone needs, but after a few months back on iOS most of them seem ugly and clunky. :( If only I could put the Lumia camera module in the 6S Plus.. Meanwhile the 950XL is the perfect bedside alarm clock / Kindle reader. A $650 alarm clock, worth it!! :D

Lol...
I can get that. The one day a few months ago I tried to use my 650 as a phone, that was a long day. I liked the idea of feeling different more than how it worked when it came to apps. I was great with some apps but others I missed a LOT.

It was the little things for me. Being able to continue on Spotify after a long pause without having to restart the phone, being able to see who left what reaction on what comment on Slack, I can go on haha.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm conflicted.

A part of me wants to hop the Pixel train again (especially since deals are to be found) but another part of me has the idea of exploring the 6s (that headphone jack though) with a battery case, and after the announcement on Tuesday, it should become even cheaper, right? I miss not thinking about if a phone would start to show that it needs to be cleared or not...

Edit: Or I could do what I tried to do before, which is use the A3 for those moments but possibly get a battery case add on for the SE for when I think I would need it. That would be cheaper than any phone, and no management required...

Edit2: Going through battery cases for the SE is such a pain. I found one but so many have negative reviews (on things that aren't just silly), which is crazy. If only Apple decided to make one after all, for like super battery life.

Edit3: To put myself out of thinking of this stuff (I have bigger things I should use my brainpower on right now), I have switched back to my SE (for now) and I will be using my A3 for the front camera when needed. I have also ordered a battery case, so I will be comparing battery life with and without the battery case. Hopefully that will be a temporary bandaid for now. At least when the XZ1 Compact is available, the important things would be completed for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro