Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Selove

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: I loved the Windows phone platform but we all know it's over. No apps. No one is making apps for

Yeah, I just replaced my Lumia 928 with the Samsung S8. Hated to do it but did it for the same reason as you; the whole world is moving to mobile apps and at some point you would start to be really left behind. Hated the S8 compared to my very comfortable 928, but there is considerable compensation in the surprising extent to which all the same Microsoft integration is still available, like office and OneDrive on Android. I have all my apps in folders on the front screen, so similar to my 928 tiles. One thing sorely missed is the Cortana hands-free handling of text messages in the car Bluetooth system. Turns out that is unique in windows phones.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: I loved the Windows phone platform but we all know it's over. No apps. No one is making apps for

One thing sorely missed is the Cortana hands-free handling of text messages in the car Bluetooth system. Turns out that is unique in windows phones.

Probably my top "favorite" feature of Windows Mobile.

It's rather sad and annoying that no one else does this. I think you can get something similar if you have a radio with "Android Auto" but what a shame it cannot be done with just Bluetooth.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The size of it took me back to the Lumia 521, which was a great size of a phone for me and I still seek phones close to that, i.e. the iPhone SE, ..
I have good news and bad news. The good news is you're going to save a bunch of money. The bad news is Apple did NOT announce an updated iPhone SE. :D

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have good news and bad news. The good news is you're going to save a bunch of money. The bad news is Apple did NOT announce an updated iPhone SE. :D

Yeah, I see that now. Seeing that the 6s is $449 now is cool (also if I explore the refurbished side of things, there's even a deeper discount to be had). Bummer about the SE, but the slight price drop is nice for those who haven't bought one yet. I figured that this wasn't the event for the SE.

I was on the fence about this and decided to buy the Huawei P10 way earlier today but now I'm not even sure seeing this.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That doesn't sound like you at all! :)

Haha. I just want to find the best fit for me. I don't ask for much in a phone but apparently I am since it's so hard for me. It's hard to be sure. I like the idea and sound of the XZ1 Compact but if the cameras disappoint, I have wasted my hope.

How is she saving money - did she switch to Geico?

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

I was debating on buying a 6s (with a battery pack of course) earlier in the week and everyone here told me to wait. It's now $449, which is cheaper than what I was looking at.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Everything I have heard has the updated SE coming in spring 2018. I don't think anyone was expecting it now.
Clearly I'm out of the loop. Very curious what an updated SE looks like. I hope the SE line will be the headphone jack holdout model for many years to come.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Clearly I'm out of the loop. Very curious what an updated SE looks like. I hope the SE line will be the headphone jack holdout model for many years to come.

Difficult to say, but I believe it has a market. Still a powerful phone without the bling and price tag to go with it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So the P10 is a meh. It's a bit of money for me to be meh about it. I think I'm going to return it. Glad I tried it. It isn't bad but I don't know if it would give me what I want on auto mode. Additionally, it feels really tall.

Back to the drawing board. Yeah I'm serious about that :/

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So the P10 is a meh. It's a bit of money for me to be meh about it. I think I'm going to return it. Glad I tried it. It isn't bad but I don't know if it would give me what I want on auto mode. Additionally, it feels really tall.

Back to the drawing board. Yeah I'm serious about that :/
Don't settle. You be you.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
There is suppose to be a P9 lite mini coming. I honestly cannot stand EMUI. I owned one Huawei device a while ago the Mate S and even though the construction was sleek and camera had fun tweaks to it, the EMUI was painfully weird. Now I have not dabbled in EMUI since a couple years, so my opinion may not matter much at this point.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Don't settle. You be you.

You're right! I have already taped it up so that I can drop it off tomorrow morning. I'm actually considering a refurbished Pixel but buying accessories again kind of sucks to do considering how much I have spent the first time around.

They are pretty cheap right now and offers better battery life over the 6s. Everything else is essentially a compromise. I'm really debating what I should try next, not interested in being a dual phone person in the long run because that cramps my style.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
There is suppose to be a P9 lite mini coming. I honestly cannot stand EMUI. I owned one Huawei device a while ago the Mate S and even though the construction was sleek and camera had fun tweaks to it, the EMUI was painfully weird. Now I have not dabbled in EMUI since a couple years, so my opinion may not matter much at this point.

I think this is down to the individual. I liked it a lot on the Honor 8 and it has come a very long way.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You're right! I have already taped it up so that I can drop it off tomorrow morning. I'm actually considering a refurbished Pixel but buying accessories again kind of sucks to do considering how much I have spent the first time around.

They are pretty cheap right now and offers better battery life over the 6s. Everything else is essentially a compromise. I'm really debating what I should try next, not interested in being a dual phone person in the long run because that cramps my style.

Why not soldier on with the SE for another month or so until the Pixel 2 comes out? I'm sure the price of the Pixel will be even lower then. Then of course you will be a month closer to when the updated SE is rumored to be out so you could just wait a little longer...

As much as it goes against my MO, I am going to stick with the SE until at least April. If there is going to be an update to the SE it should be announced in March. If that comes and goes with no update, I will probably look at a used X, or (gasp) keep using the SE until next fall. Even if I only keep it until April, that will be about 11 months and that is the longest I have kept a phone in a really really long time (like 6 years haha).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Why not soldier on with the SE for another month or so until the Pixel 2 comes out? I'm sure the price of the Pixel will be even lower then. Then of course you will be a month closer to when the updated SE is rumored to be out so you could just wait a little longer...

As much as it goes against my MO, I am going to stick with the SE until at least April. If there is going to be an update to the SE it should be announced in March. If that comes and goes with no update, I will probably look at a used X, or (gasp) keep using the SE until next fall. Even if I only keep it until April, that will be about 11 months and that is the longest I have kept a phone in a really really long time (like 6 years haha).

That's a fair point about the price of the Pixel. I'll try to keep that in mind. In the case of the SE, it feels like a long wait to be carrying around 2 phones for months at a time lol. I'm still hoping that a Sony XZ1 Compact review is released between then and now (which will more than likely happen).

Wow that would be a while! I think that sounds like a good plan though. I can get that. It's crazy to me that I have had my SE for so long, but I haven't used it as the primary phone for a lot of months at a time lol. I really hope that a update to the SE comes out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)