Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
How do people handle their text messages when moving to ios, can they be transferred or are they lost?

Sent from mTalk

For people on Verizon, there's a messages app that allows all of them to populate in whatever phone you are using.

From Android to iOS, I believe the move to iOS app works. From Windows to iOS, I just take it as a loss.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I did. Single SIM Xperia X F5121 in Lime Gold.
It's tempting to say the least. I'm curious about Android app support though. Will it support Play Services or just sideload an apk that's not dependent on Play Services. You may or may not be aware that there is a patcher available that removes those dependencies. It was a vital component for running Android on BlackBerry OS10.

Keep us in the loop.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
For people on Verizon, there's a messages app that allows all of them to populate in whatever phone you are using.

From Android to iOS, I believe the move to iOS app works. From Windows to iOS, I just take it as a loss.

Thanks. i guess in theory then one could first transfer to android then to ios. I'll have to look into that.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I decided not to compromise, so I got a refurbished Pixel for a nice deal! Buying accessories again is a bummer but I miss that phone's cameras every day. I missed the performance too. I'm going to miss having a mute mode, but I'm so excited.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's tempting to say the least. I'm curious about Android app support though. Will it support Play Services or just sideload an apk that's not dependent on Play Services. You may or may not be aware that there is a patcher available that removes those dependencies. It was a vital component for running Android on BlackBerry OS10.

Keep us in the loop.

Part of the cost for the ROM is to cover the licensing for Alien Dalvik. Dalvik mind you;. I don't believe it supports pure ART apps. No Play services, but you can get Apps from Amazon and other official 3rd party stores. Myself, Imma go as much Microsoft services as I can anyhoo, just like I do on an Android anyway.

Which Sony device do you recommend to run this on for now that will work on a US GSM carrier?

EDIT: Nevermind did not see the above post...:)

For a sanity check I got the Euro (or World) version of the F5121 and not the North American. Only difference, the World version has a working fingerprint reader and it is nice and fast, IMHO. Sony disabled the fingerprint reader for NA, not sure why. I do know that my World unit is getting security updates from Google/Sony right up to date. Why do I suspect that NA units are left behind there?

Of course the fingerprint is not baked in yet to start with Sailfish X. But Jolla seems to have a blind spot for the US so I went with the World model to ensure it would flash the ROM.

Speaking of a blind spot for the US: the price is €49.90 and that includes VAT. As a non EU person I shouldn't have to pay no stinkin' Vat anyway so maybe there will be a discount for good ole USD buyers. Maybe not. Time will tell.

Now my quandary is that the ROM is projected to release on October 11 and I'm flying out of the country on October 23. Is that enough time to settle in and test things... Likely not. It may have to wait until I return in November.

First-World-Problem-Best-Demotivational-Posters.jpg

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I decided not to compromise, so I got a refurbished Pixel for a nice deal! Buying accessories again is a bummer but I miss that phone's cameras every day. I missed the performance too. I'm going to miss having a mute mode, but I'm so excited.

Did you get a blue one? If I would get another one, that is what I would get. It is just too bad they only made it in 32GB, but I now know that would be enough for me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Did you get a blue one? If I would get another one, that is what I would get. It is just too bad they only made it in 32GB, but I now know that would be enough for me.

Nope. As much as I would like a blue one, I wasn't seeing any at a price that I would want to pay for a Pixel at this time. Considering my experience and the secondhand experience of someone who had one which had to be replaced too, I didn't trust any of the ones that weren't refurbished by Google directly.

I saw one (that was refurbished by Google) but too high for this phone at this point in time for me.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Nope. As much as I would like a blue one, I wasn't seeing any at a price that I would want to pay for a Pixel at this time. Considering my experience and the secondhand experience of someone who had one which had to be replaced too, I didn't trust any of the ones that weren't refurbished by Google directly.

I saw one (that was refurbished by Google) but too high for this phone at this point in time for me.

So which did you get?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I had the black 128. I never noticed that the front wasn't black until you just mentioned it haha. Guess it shows that wasn't important to me.

Haha. It bothered me because I would look at it with the screen off and it just looked like that. It looked different from how black iPhones look. I like the clean look.

Also ordered a dBrand skin for this Pixel too, because that would make it more nice looking to me. I care a lot about aesthetics, can you tell? lol

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Haha. It bothered me because I would look at it with the screen off and it just looked like that. It looked different from how black iPhones look. I like the clean look.

Also ordered a dBrand skin for this Pixel too, because that would make it more nice looking to me. I care a lot about aesthetics, can you tell? lol
Like the Billy Crystal character on SNL "Fernando" used to say - It's better to look good than to feel good, and you look maaahvelous.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb