Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So now I'm enjoying the best of both worlds. I got a SIM card from T-Mobile and activated a DIGITS number paired with my primary. Now I can use the superior, yes I said it, Outlook and voice-to-text from my Idol on a daily basis and have my XZ around for apps and especially weekend use, where apps may be needed more. No need to switch SIMs as all calls and texts are synced on both devices.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So now I'm enjoying the best of both worlds. I got a SIM card from T-Mobile and activated a DIGITS number paired with my primary. Now I can use the superior, yes I said it, Outlook and voice-to-text from my Idol on a daily basis and have my XZ around for apps and especially weekend use, where apps may be needed more. No need to switch SIMs as all calls and texts are synced on both devices.
Sweet! Sounds like this can work out very well for you!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

How much did that set you back by the way? Is it worth it in the long run?

dlchome

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh man. I am so missing voice-to-text. Using DriveMode app on my new HTC U11, but golly there's a glitch with the volume. Setup the app, send a text and the volume on the phone decrements to 0. Have to keep adjusting the volume while driving, what's the point?
Sure would be nice to continue with Cortana while driving. Unfortunately, our car is a 2013 Toyota and their nav etc is proprietary, so no Android Auto. :-(

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@Nate W it seems that they started out great with a heavily gesture oriented UI, then they moved more toward Android style home pages and they decided that users needed a page for music and a page for video. It looked like a play to push streaming partnerships and that turned me off.

Mostly what I disliked was how interminable the wait was for them to mature a product and get out of beta. They certainly missed the high tide mark of anticipation and dithered around while interest in a product faded from the minds of tech press and enthusiasts alike.

Got the oneplus one several days ago. It is just a test device. Ran the Ubuntu installer to get the latest Ubuntu Touch installed. I can now see why it is so stale. Just looking at the UI is no fun. I won't go into how it performs...So I found a Sailfish community port for the one plus, and even though it uses derivatives of CM12 it was the one chance to experience the UI first hand. I really do like it and even though OTA updates are not working, and other aspects it makes me want to get them working or try it out some how to get the full experience of using the Sailfish OS. When is Jolla going to support more Hardware?

davegore

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
had enough of windows phone

I think i have reached the end of my windows phone journey, from the first one i had, the nokia 610 i think it was, to the supposed flagship which is the microsoft 950, which is currently not fit for purpose at just 20 months old, battery lasting around 9 hours with hardly any use, then constantly restarting, and cutting out at 20%, apps on every other platform but not on windows, the biggest most useful ones, even my local transport companies steering clear of the operating system, it's time for a change, and to be honest, my upgrade time of early March cannot come quick enough

Dave

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When is Jolla going to support more Hardware?

Not sure... Next up they have to get the Sailfish X ROM some broader distribution. US/Can seems to be on the short list. Sony seems primed to help with ports to more of their hardware, hopefully. They passed a hurdle with Xperia X in that the SD 650 was the first 64 bit chip to run the OS.

Haven't heard much from the Bolivian partner, Jala, which is supposed to make phones for the Latin American markets. Some of those would likely be US GSM compatible if they show up on Amazon.

When the China Consortium develops a bit I'd look to see them export some hardware running their fork. Not sure I'd like the telemetry on that one...

P.S.: I did get an OTA update to 2.1.3.7 already. Pleasantly surprised about that. Patches and fixes, but I'll take it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I found a Sailfish community port for the one plus, and even though it uses derivatives of CM12...

If I remember right, CM12 is used for the baseband (radio stack) and maybe TWRP (?), but all the rest of it should be Sailfish minus the Alien Dalvik which is a licensed 3rd party product.

What version is it running?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If I remember right, CM12 is used for the baseband (radio stack) and maybe TWRP (?), but all the rest of it should be Sailfish minus the Alien Dalvik which is a licensed 3rd party product.

What version is it running?

Yes the radios and twrp....I think the bootloader too. Using multirom it keeps the CM boot loader in place I believe.
It is version 2.0.0.10

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
For those needing smaller devices...there also is a report that there will be 3 S9 models coming when Samsung puts out the next flagship. The additonal model is said to be a smaller model (mini if you will) featuring possibly a 5 inch "infinity" screen.

Edit: Of course we thought that was going to happen with the S8 series too...

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes the radios and twrp....I think the bootloader too. Using multirom it keeps the CM boot loader in place I believe.
It is version 2.0.0.10

So that's a 2 year old version released fall of '15. The failure of the tablet launch set them back a bit. Great that Jolla is picking up momentum again. I truly do hope they get some traction soon. Maybe following the X port some XDA types will get 2.1.3 up and running on Pixel or P2 shortly. The only major issue I had with the ports is no Alien Dalvik.

There are a few things left to iron out for the Xperia X and I'm happy to Beta test it. The couple of things I need from Android apps makes it more realistic to commit to daily use. They need to broaden the markets they released in and follwo up with another Sony model (IMHO, not an X variant but something very poular while not being too old a model) ASAP.

For anyone curious, here's the change log for 2.1.3.7 https://together.jolla.com/question/172002/release-notes-213-kymijoki/

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
For those needing smaller devices...there also is a report that there will be 3 S9 models coming when Samsung puts out the next flagship. The additonal model is said to be a smaller model (mini if you will) featuring possibly a 5 inch "infinity" screen.

Edit: Of course we thought that was going to happen with the S8 series too...

That would be a great device, small on size, but not on screen. Would be very tempting for me.

I hope that it is true. Thanks for sharing!

I hope so as well. Part of me wants more rumors and to know everything now, but part of me would like it to actually be a surprise when it comes out.

More battery, and better FFC are a good start. Hoping for 3D touch and water resistance as well. I would think the processor would be the A11 to match the 8 vs the A10 that is in the 7. I say that because when the current SE came out when the 6S was the flagship model and it got the same processor as that (A9)

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had a windows phone since 2010. My last phone was the 950. However, last week I bought the iPhone X. It is the first iPhone that I have owned, and so far I am happy with it. I really like my windows phone, but it also has limitations. If the surface phone ever materializes, then I may switch back. Until then, peace out!

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had a windows phone since 2010. My last phone was the 950. However, last week I bought the iPhone X. It is the first iPhone that I have owned, and so far I am happy with it. I really like my windows phone, but it also has limitations. If the surface phone ever materializes, then I may switch back. Until then, peace out!

I think there are a lot of us that have the same feelings. Just got my wife an X and from setting it up for her I really like it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb