Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I think there are a lot of us that have the same feelings. Just got my wife an X and from setting it up for her I really like it as well.

So far I am liking it a lot. It just seems loaded with features. And, the face recognition works better than on the Windows phone. I do not think the multitasking is as good as the WP. However, in 2009 I had a palm phone with WebOS. I have yet to see any platform match that level of multitasking.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
ruh roh https://www.gsmarena.com/whatsapp_t...phone_8_devices_on_december_31-news-28879.php

I do not think there is UWP whatsapp app yet. So does that mean the current Legacy WhatsApp in the store will get put on the shelf or stop working completely?

But I hope that just means 8.0 and not 8.1. I really hope this is the case because WhatsApp is the only app that my Dad actually uses. The rest of the stuff is system apps.

Edit: The comments there are saying that support for 8.1 remains but this still sucks.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@libra89
Does he use Windows Phone 8 or BB?

Well personally I would recommend folks move to GroupMe but that is just my opinion. I have been using it for more than several years off and on. You don't need the app installed to use the functionality, all you need is an account and a phone with messaging MMS capability. It uses short codes to administer the chat like to add remove users, all without using the app. However Microsoft did go and update the app to UWP support so it runs well on Windows 10 mobile. They also of course support it on iOS and Android...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
@libra89
Does he use Windows Phone 8 or BB?

Well personally I would recommend folks move to GroupMe but that is just my opinion. I have been using it for more than several years off and on. You don't need the app installed to use the functionality, all you need is an account and a phone with messaging MMS capability. It uses short codes to administer the chat like to add remove users, all without using the app. However Microsoft did go and update the app to UWP support so it runs well on Windows 10 mobile. They also of course support it on iOS and Android...

He uses 8.1. In this case, moving would be a challenge because all of his contacts use this. They will not all move to GroupMe and he's also part of a group chat with a lot of members on it too.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Waiting for the “I don’t need apps, WhatsApp was junk anyways” comments.

Never touched it on any platform. I fail to see the fuss in a lot of these things.

But I'm definitely an outlier. No Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, no SnapChat, no Uber, no Lyft, no Pokemon Go, no Spotify, no Evernote, no you name the flavor of the moment.

I'd wager that if most people listed all their apps outside of Phone, News, SMS and email I'd be able to say nope to 98+ % of them.

There are some of us that just don't give a carp and it isn't posturing.

Time listed these top 25 in June: The Best iPhone and Android Apps of 2017 | Time Just scrolled the list and I have 0 of them. Never even heard of the vast majority of them. Maybe 3 titles sounded familiar.

I have none, nor want any of these: https://softstribe.com/android/top-25-free-android-chat-apps/

Of PCmagazine's top 100 Android Apps for next year I have 4. Google Photos because it's baked into the phone I'm carrying and I can't be bothered to find an alternate right now. Google Opinion Rewards because even if I tone down their prying as much as possible they still get some things and they can damn well reimburse me for it. SwiftKey keyboard because the BB keyboard on the DTEK50 is garbage. And Word, because Word. Even the other Google Apps listed are disabled on my phone, because screw them.

Just because someone says it doesn't mean they are being hypocritical. Even when I'm on Android I don't really care for or use a whole lot of apps. Deal with it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
He uses 8.1. In this case, moving would be a challenge because all of his contacts use this. They will not all move to GroupMe and he's also part of a group chat with a lot of members on it too.

Bummer. Ya groupme is only messaging I believe. So the WhatsApp has more of a tie in for him. I keep wondering when WhatsApp will put out a UWP app (for mobile). Maybe you could ask around and see if that is coming. Maybe it would be easier to move him to a W10M phone IF WhatsApp is coming with a newer version...or worse case scenario he would need to move to a different OS experience.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Never touched it on any platform. I fail to see the fuss in a lot of these things.

But I'm definitely an outlier. No Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, no SnapChat, no Uber, no Lyft, no Pokemon Go, no Spotify, no Evernote, no you name the flavor of the moment.

I'd wager that if most people listed all their apps outside of Phone, News, SMS and email I'd be able to say nope to 98+ % of them.

Time listed these top 25 in June: The Best iPhone and Android Apps of 2017 | Time Just scrolled the list and I have 0 of them. Never even heard of the vast majority of them. Maybe 3 titles sounded familiar.

I have none, nor want any of these: https://softstribe.com/android/top-25-free-android-chat-apps/

Of PCmagazine's top 100 Android Apps for next year I have 4. Google Photos because it's baked into the phone I'm carrying and I can't be bothered to find an alternate right now. Google Opinion Rewards because even if I tone down their prying as much as possible they still get some things and they can damn well reimburse me for it. SwiftKey keyboard because the BB keyboard on the DTEK50 is garbage. And Word, because Word. Even the other Google Apps listed are disabled on my phone, because screw them.

Just because someone says it doesn't mean they are being hypocritical. Even when I'm on Android I don't really care for or use a whole lot of apps. Deal with it.

I don’t use WhatsApp either, but it has 1.3 billion monthly users. Deal with that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

You're not alone. I only have Facebook because my wife sends me some funny memes. I check it whenever I remember it's on my phone and that's it. I've never had a Twitter account or any of the others you listed. As for chat apps, I kept BBM because I needed something for traveling outside the US. In country, nothing beats texts, emails or that dying art - voice calls. Being a horse trader, I miss having eBay and PayPal but it's not something that a tablet can't handle. It's not like it's my primary, secondary or even tertiary source of income.

If work didn't require most of the apps I use on a regular basis, a flip phone would suffice. Retirement is about 10 years away and I'm looking forward to a new Ugly Stik and a Jitterbug.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...that dying art - voice calls...

Ah, yesteryear.

or

You darn kids get offa my screen!

Seriously though, most things still work better (for me at least) in a PC browser which is where I swap my horses and do the bulk of my organizing. The phone becomes a readout terminal for Outlook, OneNote, WeGoHere, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss