Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You're not alone. I only have Facebook because my wife sends me some funny memes. I check it whenever I remember it's on my phone and that's it. I've never had a Twitter account or any of the others you listed. As for chat apps, I kept BBM because I needed something for traveling outside the US. In country, nothing beats texts, emails or that dying art - voice calls. Being a horse trader, I miss having eBay and PayPal but it's not something that a tablet can't handle. It's not like it's my primary, secondary or even tertiary source of income.

If work didn't require most of the apps I use on a regular basis, a flip phone would suffice. Retirement is about 10 years away and I'm looking forward to a new Ugly Stik and a Jitterbug.

Or maybe the Jitterbug 2 which might be out by then.

User_name_who

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. I left the WP area about a year ago and got back to Android. Bought myself a Huawei Honor 7 and must say....doesn't regret it a minute. I thought that WP OS was THE OS for me but really, it was not. After my Lumia 920 to Lumia 735 experience I was fed up with it. Now that MS has declared no more support/developing WP it seems like it's game over. Sorry about that. Should this OS been developed and supported at a more professional way right from the beginning....I would probably not switched. The Lumia phones was/is a masterpiece, at least some of them. Just wanted to stop by and say....hesitating to switch? Don't, just do it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I rarely use music recognition, but did Google Assistant just start doing it? Google Now did it a couple years ago.

Yep. That was why I mentioned that. Considering that was one of the original handicaps and that it can do it now, looks really bad for Microsoft imo pulling it from Cortana.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I had a crazy idea to trade in my original Pixel to get rid of it and get more money than I would selling it at this point. That went well and I'm very pleased with my trade-in experience with the Google Store. The Pixel 2 is a very fast phone with a great camera but too tall for me to consider using long term. It has been sold and I'm hanging out on my A3, which has been mostly fine.

Waiting (or should I say hoping?) for the SE 2. The Sony Xperia XA2 looks good on the Android side, I might want to try that too since it's shorter than a lot of the "smaller" phones I have tried in the last year. It is actually very close in size to the Lumia 650. It's slightly narrower, has the same height, and of course, it's thicker thanks to the bigger battery. The camera will be the make or break for sure.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a crazy idea to trade in my original Pixel to get rid of it and get more money than I would selling it at this point. That went well and I'm very pleased with my trade-in experience with the Google Store. The Pixel 2 is a very fast phone with a great camera but too tall for me to consider using long term. It has been sold and I'm hanging out on my A3, which has been mostly fine.

Waiting (or should I say hoping?) for the SE 2. The Sony Xperia XA2 looks good on the Android side, I might want to try that too since it's shorter than a lot of the "smaller" phones I have tried in the last year. It is actually very close in size to the Lumia 650. It's slightly narrower, has the same height, and of course, it's thicker thanks to the bigger battery. The camera will be the make or break for sure.

Seems like a good deal for you Libra. Should be able to still sell the Pixel 2 for a good price, and stash the money away for the SE2. I will most likely buy one, but using my wife's X more is making me a little weak. That and all the local ones for sale for $600-700. I almost pulled the trigger on a 256GB for $625 but I have been a good boy and resisted (so far).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Seems like a good deal for you Libra. Should be able to still sell the Pixel 2 for a good price, and stash the money away for the SE2. I will most likely buy one, but using my wife's X more is making me a little weak. That and all the local ones for sale for $600-700. I almost pulled the trigger on a 256GB for $625 but I have been a good boy and resisted (so far).

Yeah it was able to go to a great person for a good deal. I really hope the SE2 becomes a thing.

Ooh $625 is tempting. You have great willpower in resisting. We will see.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Looking at my Lumia 650 makes me sad now. It's to the point where I don't even want to turn it on. The idea of having phones with each OS is no longer desirable to me. Probably going to reset it and let it go...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Looking at my Lumia 650 makes me sad now. It's to the point where I don't even want to turn it on. The idea of having phones with each OS is no longer desirable to me. Probably going to reset it and let it go...
I'm sorry you feel that way.
On the other hand I am digging this Idol 4s.
I missed WM10!

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Have tried twice now to move to Android and just wasn't ready. Came back to my 950 again. The photos app is super convenient. On Oreo, Outlook unread email notifications on the app icon itself worked for a bit but stopped so I couldn't be bothered trying to work out what was wrong. Email, calendar, contacts, and photos are all still perfect for my needs on W10M. I would definitely consider moving if all these functions were built into an Android phone.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
All those features are built into every Android phone Via the Play Store. All you need to do is search for them, download what you want and sign yourself in. Start with "Microsoft Apps" to find everything that's available.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The photos app integration with OneDrive is still something I miss the most from W10M. I'm sure that could be filled by using another cloud storage method, but that's not something I look to do. OneDrive still offers the most for me.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The photos app integration with OneDrive is still something I miss the most from W10M. I'm sure that could be filled by using another cloud storage method, but that's not something I look to do. OneDrive still offers the most for me.

In what sense do you miss the integration?
I backup my Pixel photos directly to Google.
For any other Android device, I back them up to OneDrive since I have 130GB of free storage there.
I don't find any issues backing /syncing with OneDrive from an Android device. Works just as fine as WM/WP.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
For any other Android device, I back them up to OneDrive since I have 130GB of free storage there.
I don't find any issues backing /syncing with OneDrive from an Android device. Works just as fine as WM/WP.

Being able to view OneDrive photos in the phone's native Gallery App. That's the only thing that's really missing.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Backup/Sync works fine. What I miss is the ease of seeing the pictures you have taken and managing/using them in other programs. I think the first part could be improved in the OneDrive app, even just making it easier to sort or navigate to pictures like you could in the W10M native photos app (i.e. jump to pictures from November of 2015, etc.). I don't know how the integration could be improved to use your pictures on facebook or twitter etc, if they aren't natively stored on your phone.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Backup/Sync works fine. What I miss is the ease of seeing the pictures you have taken and managing/using them in other programs. I think the first part could be improved in the OneDrive app, even just making it easier to sort or navigate to pictures like you could in the W10M native photos app (i.e. jump to pictures from November of 2015, etc.). I don't know how the integration could be improved to use your pictures on facebook or twitter etc, if they aren't natively stored on your phone.
I fully agree with you about the finding backed up pictures on OneDrive is a PITA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb