04-27-2017 11:03 AM
162 ... 567
tools
    Nothing found here that could really convince people to switch to WP.
    Some good points tho like camera quality, battery capacity, build quality, glance screen but almost all of them are hardware-related and not something you can only get with WP.
    Still, in my opinion, android gives you the most freedom any mobile OS can give you.
    chmun77 and Jaison John1 like this.
    08-11-2015 06:50 PM
    I love my Lumia 930 but I think the most equilibrated Lumia is the 640
    frank yasidu and Core Jack like this.
    08-14-2016 06:01 AM
    I love my Lumia 930 but I think the most equilibrated Lumia is the 640
    As the L640 owner, I agree.
    08-14-2016 06:58 AM
    I think that Microsoft has been taking on Android and iOS head on which is not the way to go. They should instead focus on three aspects when marketing and developing W10M and Window Phones.

First, they should say that Window Phone is best for business, because it is more secure then Android, and has better software integration with Microsoft Office, OneNote, Outlook and other Microsoft services.

Second, they should say that Window Phone is best for XBox games. XBox has many great games and people are familiar with them. Google and Apple both do not do games.

Third, they should focus on the camera as this is a Nokia legacy. Invest in great camera system with the Zeiss lens. Have more camera features.

For focusing on the above 3 key areas. Window Phones will become attractive to both enterprises and consumers. People who use the phones will then not mind having less apps to choose from because their phones can do things better than other phones in these three areas.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-26-2016 09:27 AM
    Because I am using! Personally i love this OS. Only one problem is App Gap.
    Timbre70 and thekonger like this.
    09-28-2016 02:51 AM
    Because I am using! Personally i love this OS. Only one problem is App Gap.
    There's actually a bigger problem, and part of the reason for the app gap, which is MS being unable to get quality phones in all the mobile carriers. Having carrier exclusives of some of the nicer models as well as not being able to get their latest phones on contract killed the WP user base. 90% of US buyers get a phone from a carrier on contract or lease. The absence in today's event announcement of any x86 Surface Phone means the user base will continue to shrink, so expect more apps to drop WP support. Sad but true.
    10-26-2016 03:38 PM
    There's actually a bigger problem, and part of the reason for the app gap, which is MS being unable to get quality phones in all the mobile carriers. Having carrier exclusives of some of the nicer models as well as not being able to get their latest phones on contract killed the WP user base. 90% of US buyers get a phone from a carrier on contract or lease. The absence in today's event announcement of any x86 Surface Phone means the user base will continue to shrink, so expect more apps to drop WP support. Sad but true.
    So you are saying that there's nothing to do?

Cheers
    03-31-2017 08:36 AM
    I think the "app gap" isn't entirely the issue. Most "apps" are just windows to a webapp that could easily be handled over the internet without paying google or apple, and I'm noticing several workplace-related apps doing exactly that.

You look at facebook for example, and people complaining that the windows version is a terrible quality. The problem is ALL versions of facebook app for ALL OSes are terrible quality. It's a battery-draining mess that has probably resulted in more needless device returns for "battery life" than anything else! I remember a year ago mobile nations had in both android and iOS sections an article on the joys and wonders of uninstalling facebook and going from the webapp.

You look at apps for smartwatches, home automation, etc... and you find there is absolutely amazing 3rd party support for these. Run your nest and color-changing lightbulbs from your phone...or your xbox. Just speak to Cortana and she'll handle everything. I am absolutely LOVING Pebble Time Manager, bugs and all.

I think the real issue is that Microsoft has pulled back to regroup. We don't hear anything, we don't know anything, and this frustrates the fans who don't know who to blame. They think it's being ignored and avoided. Meanwhile websites like this one blog those sentiments and validate them, which only frustrates those fans more. It's like I said in another thread, Microsoft isn't happy dumping time and resources over and over just to get 3rd place... they are in it to win it.

I also know that fans are fickle, and that Nintendo fans were acting EXACTLY THE SAME as what you see here in any Nintendo-related forum before the Switch was announced. "OMG THIS IS THEIR LAST CHANCE! THEY'RE GONNA DIE! SONY IS GOING TO WIN EVERYTHING!" (Gimmie a break, Sony is bleeding cash right now...) Businesses often won't reveal info until they are ready. They want to know exactly what they can reveal to both tempt customers and avoid future confrontations. They want to give the biggest surprise so their competition has to react rather than prevent.

And you know what I think... Microsoft's been pulling some interesting and creative work involving virtual machines lately. Just look at Xbox. I think that if whatever Microsoft is up to can run win32 or win64 software, the app gap will be squished like a bug. Who cares about an "app gap" if you can just install bluestacks? Is it as efficient? No. Will it eat your battery? Probably. But google play would look kinda silly to a gamer sitting next to full access to something like Steam, even if not everything ran perfectly.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-24-2017 03:29 PM
    I think the "app gap" isn't entirely the issue. Most "apps" are just windows to a webapp that could easily be handled over the internet without paying google or apple, and I'm noticing several workplace-related apps doing exactly that.

You look at facebook for example, and people complaining that the windows version is a terrible quality. The problem is ALL versions of facebook app for ALL OSes are terrible quality. It's a battery-draining mess that has probably resulted in more needless device returns for "battery life" than anything else! I remember a year ago mobile nations had in both android and iOS sections an article on the joys and wonders of uninstalling facebook and going from the webapp.

You look at apps for smartwatches, home automation, etc... and you find there is absolutely amazing 3rd party support for these. Run your nest and color-changing lightbulbs from your phone...or your xbox. Just speak to Cortana and she'll handle everything. I am absolutely LOVING Pebble Time Manager, bugs and all.

I think the real issue is that Microsoft has pulled back to regroup. We don't hear anything, we don't know anything, and this frustrates the fans who don't know who to blame. They think it's being ignored and avoided. Meanwhile websites like this one blog those sentiments and validate them, which only frustrates those fans more. It's like I said in another thread, Microsoft isn't happy dumping time and resources over and over just to get 3rd place... they are in it to win it.

I also know that fans are fickle, and that Nintendo fans were acting EXACTLY THE SAME as what you see here in any Nintendo-related forum before the Switch was announced. "OMG THIS IS THEIR LAST CHANCE! THEY'RE GONNA DIE! SONY IS GOING TO WIN EVERYTHING!" (Gimmie a break, Sony is bleeding cash right now...) Businesses often won't reveal info until they are ready. They want to know exactly what they can reveal to both tempt customers and avoid future confrontations. They want to give the biggest surprise so their competition has to react rather than prevent.

And you know what I think... Microsoft's been pulling some interesting and creative work involving virtual machines lately. Just look at Xbox. I think that if whatever Microsoft is up to can run win32 or win64 software, the app gap will be squished like a bug. Who cares about an "app gap" if you can just install bluestacks? Is it as efficient? No. Will it eat your battery? Probably. But google play would look kinda silly to a gamer sitting next to full access to something like Steam, even if not everything ran perfectly.
    People whose favorite apps aren't on Windows mobile, care about the app gap.
    ttsoldier likes this.
    04-25-2017 10:08 AM

The problem is the app gap. Nothing more.
    Timbre70 likes this.
    04-27-2017 04:54 AM
    The problem is the app gap. Nothing more.
    You don't understand the problem if you believe this. There are several factors but the app gap is simply a byproduct of a small user base.

In reality, the biggest issue is MS's inability to work with carriers and get all their phone models in all carrier stores. And that has been their issue going back to 2011. As a Sprint customer in 2012 I wanted a 920 so badly I jumped to AT&T even though it cost me more money. When my contract expired in 2014 there were even fewer WP choices on Sprint and worse, MS had exclusives with some carriers so you might not even be able to get the phone you wanted. Today you can't even find a WP phone on Sprint's site. So I reluctantly moved to Android.

People want to walk into a store, pick out the phone they want, set up a payment plan, and walk out with their shiny new phone. The vast majority of cell phone users do this. Yet for most WP phones you have to go online, find a phone that works with your carrier, and pay full price up front. Sorry, that's not going to work with US customers.

You can throw a million more WP apps in the store and you would barely see an uptick in the user base. Why? Because quite simply people can't buy what they don't see when they go phone shopping. Until that is fixed WP will always be a niche OS. And even if MS does get all of their phones in all carrier's store expect a long uphill battle. Not that it can't happen if they offer some great phones, but it will be a challenge.
    jeffchapik and ttsoldier like this.
    04-27-2017 10:53 AM
    So you are saying that there's nothing to do?

Cheers
    No, MS can still comeback but it will take several necessary steps. And after they have given up so much ground it will still be a huge challenge.

1. Make some killer phones. The holy grail 'x86' phone, if possible, would a big plus.
    2. Get all their models on all carriers. No exclusives.
    3. Make them available as contract/lease phones. Few people want to pay full price up front.
    4. Get phones in stores in front of customers. Buyers (US at least) like to walk in and try the phones they want to buy.
    5. Get the big name and popular apps on (or back on for those that left) WP
    6. Advertise like crazy.
    7. Subsidize at first, if possible.

These things have to be done in any way possible. If MS does, it actually has a good chance to come back.
    badelhas likes this.
    04-27-2017 11:03 AM
162 ... 567