CDMA vs GSM

Derewd

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Let me ask those who are Sprint/Verizon customers. Don't you feel limited and trapped into the crap phones that these networks force you to buy because they use outdated old technology (CDMA). I love being able to go to my local Microsoft store / Apple store / Radioshack / ebay / amazon / *insert favorite store here* / etc... and being able to buy unlocked GSM phones anytime I want to switch up to somthing new. Not to mention you can also buy phones from oversees that you can't get in America (firefox phone / MIUI phones).
And because they are GSM phones, they are easy to resell. I don't know how you would even resell a CDMA phone.

Lastly, being a windows phone user, I love being able to pick and choose just about any windows phone. Verizon and sprint on the other hand only have about 1 Windows phone on hand to purchase at any given time which to me would make really sad.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Coverage, coverage, coverage....VZW has more coverage and that is how they lock people into their contracts and their carrier branded (tattooed) phones. Sprint on the other hand is a basket case and I don't know why people stick with them, low prices, perhaps?

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I sold my 928 easily. And even a broken GS3. Both from Verizon. There's always someone wanting to buy a phone. I always see people selling Verizon phones. I switched from VZW to ATT for the phone I wanted. If they had supported the 1520 I may have never switched.
And as posted above.. The coverage is superior. I noticed from VZW to ATT the dropped calls.
It's all preference. If we had amazing coverage and amazing phones on one single network, imagine the monthly fees...

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about Sprint, but all Verizon phones are SIM unlocked, so they can run on AT&T & T-Mobile for basic calling and texting. The data speeds, that's a different story since.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Coverage, coverage, coverage....VZW has more coverage and that is how they lock people into their contracts and their carrier branded (tattooed) phones. Sprint on the other hand is a basket case and I don't know why people stick with them, low prices, perhaps?

Yeah I dont get why either
------------
Verizon

Best coverage +++
CDMA -
---------
At&t

Great coverage ++
GSM +
----------
Tmobile

Fine coverage +
GSM +
-----------
Sprint

Bad coverage -
CDMA -
-------------------
I've had each of these and am currently on Cricket (( which is on at&t's network, so essentially at&t capped at 8mbps LTE ))

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, CDMA has greater range, which would explain why Verizon has better coverage. Parts of the United States are vast sparsely populated areas, and Verizon can cover it with fewer towers than AT&T can.

I think some people outside the US might not understand how large Verizon is. Buying and selling Verizon devices is not a problem as stated above. Another thing, the issue of certain models only being available on certain carriers is mostly a WP problem, besides some budget Androids. Mid/high end Android devices and iPhones are available across all carriers, with the only difference (for the most part) being the radios.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, CDMA has greater range, which would explain why Verizon has better coverage. Parts of the United States are vast sparsely populated areas, and Verizon can cover it with fewer towers than AT&T can.

I think some people outside the US might not understand how large Verizon is. Buying and selling Verizon devices is not a problem, as big Papa Smurf stated above. Another thing, the issue of certain models only being available on certain carriers is mostly a WP problem, besides some budget Androids. iPhones and mid/high end Android devices are available across all carriers, with the only difference (for the most part) being the radios. They're usually released at the same time as well.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
CDMA used to be available in Canada too. The Canadian carriers went on a massive update of their networks for the Olympics in Vancouver. This made sense, since most international visitors had GSM devices. No CDMA devices are sold in Canada anymore, and I believe either Bell or Telus shut down its CDMA network already, or will be shutting it down this year.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett