Honest Question from Long Loyal WP User

fasciN8ing

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Background: PC's my whole life, currently Dell XPS One 27; Surface RT then Surface Pro 3 512; ready for this...Zune HD (and it was sweet, they should have made a phone like that!); Windows phone's since as soon as available on AT&T (Samsung Focus, Lumia 900, Lumia 920); my wife had had a Lumia 610(I think that's what it was) and Lumia 925. So clearly there is no lack of love for Microsoft products in our family. However, I find I'm at a crossroads. I've disliked Apple for as long as I can remember purely based on ridiculous prices and proprietary nature but I'm now considering switching to an iPhone for the following reasons:
- iPhone has all of the Microsoft services now and some that my WP doesn't even have yet
- I'm a photographer as a side business and Nikon doesn't make an app for WP not to mention every important photography app is not available or barely usable (smugmugs app is rough at best and has frequent problems, 500px just got pulled)
- I have no current upgrade options and my 920 is dying on me (AT&T website has said the 640XL is coming soon for nearly 3 months...... That is not "soon")
- I love the WP UI but the less functional and missing apps make the lack of a new phone option even more frustrating

I know MS just released their Ios and Android converters but I'm not convinced developers care yet.

I need some convincing as to why I should not go buy the product that I've loved to hate since forever (iPhone) but is just so damn convenient because it has everything except a sweet main screen ala WP. Thoughts? Looking for honest feedback even if you think I should switch. How long is too long to ignore the glaring issues WP faces?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and please don't think I'm attempting to troll as I would like nothing more than to keep with WP.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Background: PC's my whole life, currently Dell XPS One 27; Surface RT then Surface Pro 3 512; ready for this...Zune HD (and it was sweet, they should have made a phone like that!); Windows phone's since as soon as available on AT&T (Samsung Focus, Lumia 900, Lumia 920); my wife had had a Lumia 610(I think that's what it was) and Lumia 925. So clearly there is no lack of love for Microsoft products in our family. However, I find I'm at a crossroads. I've disliked Apple for as long as I can remember purely based on ridiculous prices and proprietary nature but I'm now considering switching to an iPhone for the following reasons:
- iPhone has all of the Microsoft services now and some that my WP doesn't even have yet
- I'm a photographer as a side business and Nikon doesn't make an app for WP not to mention every important photography app is not available or barely usable (smugmugs app is rough at best and has frequent problems, 500px just got pulled)
- I have no current upgrade options and my 920 is dying on me (AT&T website has said the 640XL is coming soon for nearly 3 months...... That is not "soon")
- I love the WP UI but the less functional and missing apps make the lack of a new phone option even more frustrating

I know MS just released their Ios and Android converters but I'm not convinced developers care yet.

I need some convincing as to why I should not go buy the product that I've loved to hate since forever (iPhone) but is just so damn convenient because it has everything except a sweet main screen ala WP. Thoughts? Looking for honest feedback even if you think I should switch. How long is too long to ignore the glaring issues WP faces?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and please don't think I'm attempting to troll as I would like nothing more than to keep with WP.

No, no need to convince. Buy the iPhone, no joke. The only time WP will be back again is in a year or two, or a few years more perhaps. With the introduced change to WP, devs need to adjust first. That adjusting time takes a long time, so just buy the iPhone. You'll be hassle free and it would all be simpler.

However, after buying the iPhone and you still want to go back to WP, that's easy actually. First things first is not to invest too much on the apps/service, and then if you want to get rid of it sell it.

Done, simple, easy.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Please consider using Android.. If you want a high end.. You will feel the freedom you have never experienced before.. And there is no such thing as lag in high end and you can always customize your phone the way you like. You can enjoy both best of Microsoft and Google.

Like Phil said, LG G4 or S6 ..

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Please consider using Android.. If you want a high end.. You will feel the freedom you have never experienced before.. And there is no such thing as lag in high end and you can always customize your phone the way you like. You can enjoy both best of Microsoft and Google.

Like Phil said, LG G4 or S6 ..

Yes this is coming from hardcore MS follower, but being in denial is pointless. It's just phones after all. You can still be loyal to MS services.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: fasciN8ing,
Why do you say your phone is dying? Do you just want something new and shiny.

Have you seen the videos of Windows 10 proposed on phone? Octa core processors (8).

Don't listen to the doom and gloom promoted by the apple and goggle fans.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

fasciN8ing

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback all. When I say my 920 is dying it is because it has stopped holding a charge long enough for me to recharge mid day. It has also formed 3 vertical lines on the left side of the screen that never go away no matter what I try. Now it can't complete a backup (keeps failing at 98%). Enough to put any phone user into the unhappy camp. I've seen W10 but honestly that doesn't solve my gripes from the first post (not to mention there are no phones available for me to buy on AT&T except the 830 which is comically overpriced). I just hope they can get developer support in the future so I can return to WP. It's likely I'll end up w/ an iPhone or S6. We shall see. Thanks again

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Deleting the old backup might work, but do also try setting your lockscreen to Bing, first. If you have any apps that mess with the lockscreen, then disable or uninstall them beforehand. Some will cause backup issues, sometimes. Even the official ones.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback all. When I say my 920 is dying it is because it has stopped holding a charge long enough for me to recharge mid day. It has also formed 3 vertical lines on the left side of the screen that never go away no matter what I try. Now it can't complete a backup (keeps failing at 98%). Enough to put any phone user into the unhappy camp. I've seen W10 but honestly that doesn't solve my gripes from the first post (not to mention there are no phones available for me to buy on AT&T except the 830 which is comically overpriced). I just hope they can get developer support in the future so I can return to WP. It's likely I'll end up w/ an iPhone or S6. We shall see. Thanks again

I beg you to take S6 :) I don't want you to suffer ;) with that I mean you'll feel free without limitations :)

Last edited:

Lu520

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Loyal is different and practical usage in our regular life is different. When the matter is of comparision definetly the other two are bigger and best as of now.
There are many limitations(in the name security) in WP for developing apps(seems and may be the main reason for lack of apps).
Except the UI design and smooth OS performance even on low level devices there is nothing in WP to say atleast as of now. Go for alternatives if you are thinking really and absolutlty no need to ask others like convinece me to stay with WP.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Buy what works for you, I love my Windows phone, but I'm not married to it. I have had some great Android phones, But you really need to think long and hard about getting in bed with Apple. And if you really like the Windows OS you are going to hate A Samsung device, not for the phone itself but for all the crap they add to the Android OS, Get yourself a Nexus or some other phone that runs a pure version of Android and you will be a lot happier. Don't get me wrong I think Apple makes great products, but when you buy one they snap a short chain around your ankle. Good luck in your search.

gleneston

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I picked up a Lumia 1520 (my first windows phone) off ebay for $230 and am quite happy with it. Though, I am going to be switching to tmobile soon, so I'm not sure if ill be able to stay with Windows Phone since tmobile has all but 3 outdated options.

I've been considering the LG G4 for the SD card, removable battery and apparently the camera is quite good-- rivals the iPhone 6 plus AND the Lumia 930 sensors. Google has something similar to bing rewards that gives you credit in their app store, so no additional investment required.

I have had some experience with iOS in the form of my wifes iPad Air and I can tell you that I've had nothing but a negative experience from it. Crashes, restarts, strange UI that seems counter intuitive to me. I've also noticed each OS update takes MORE and MORE memory from its precious 16gb storage leaving enough for just a handful of apps. If you go with an iPhone be sure you get the 64gb as you WILL need it.

Good luck to you!

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The lack of speed in getting out the better WP phones has got to be making a lot of current users moving to another OS. I have been wanting to upgrade my 820 for the past several months but the only thing I was interested in was the 830 (way overpriced) and it is not really much of any upgrade if one at all. I have been taking a look at the 640/640XL; but try to find them in the USA. I finally bought a Moto G lte to tide me over until something happens. But to be honest my 820 (more than 2 years old) is better than the G lte. Performance wise they are close; but the G does not let you uninstall any of the Google items so they sit there taking up room (I don't use them and have disabled them). Also Android is much more limited in what apps can be installed on the CD card. Unlike WP8.1 which allows almost everything to be installed on the SD card. In the very near future I will upgrade my 820. But I am like alot of WP users, very tired of seeing COMMING SOON. The 840 looking interesting; but I will probably die of old age before it is put on the market (I'm 69). Luckly my 820 still works great and that is why it is still my main phone. But sooner or later a lot of us are going to get tired of waiting. Is anyone at Microsoft hearing us.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have had some experience with iOS in the form of my wifes iPad Air and I can tell you that I've had nothing but a negative experience from it. Crashes, restarts, strange UI that seems counter intuitive to me.

I've had iPhones in the past, and I currently have an iPad Mini 2. I've not had any issues with it at all, but I am not impressed with its performance, either the iPad or the iPhones I've had.

I also have a Nexus 7 (2013) which was released at about the same time as my iPad. It owns the iPad in performance, hands down! The iPad is not slow, but not fast. It's very stable and the apps are mostly very high quality. But for overall experience, I'll take the Nexus 7.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99