Windows phone updates?

Derewd

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Somewhat new to Windows phones other then a couple budget phones ive purchased in the past to play around with. I was just curious, how often does Microsoft release updates for windows phones?
I think Apple and Google do it a few times a year, so I was just curious about Microsoft. I bought my BLU phone from a Microsoft store so I gather it's similar to Nexus for Android where I'm not carrier dependent on updates. Can anyone confirm this for me?

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I think Apple and Google do it a few times a year

Ummmm, nope. In fact a current issue with older Android (4.xxx and earlier) have not been updated and will not be updated, even though there are a bunch of security issues with them. Mostly it is the stupid carrier-system we have here in the US. The updates are doled out by the carriers whenever they feel so inclined.

Msoft is no better. My former 830 purchased direct from msoft and no-carrier remotely associated with it, is still waiting on the Denim Lumia camera update as AT&T have not released their version for their branded 830. It makes no sense at all.

If you want a real always-updated phone then the Plus-One is it. That's because there are no carriers, no msoft, no google and no apple involved.

See here...
"No Longer Practical" For Google To Update Android's Critical Security Flaw - Forbes

I might just add, that my $460-developers version of the Moto-X (2013) is at 4.4-Kitkat and STILL no update.

Derewd

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Sooo thanks for that. But I still don't really have an answer. How often does Microsoft push Windows Phone updates?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can't say for sure since right now we're in the middle of a huge overhaul.

I can cite the past, but I dont think it's going to really be too relevant to the case today.

After Windows Phone 8.0 launched...

GDR1/Portico: December 2012
GDR2: starting July 2013
Update 3: starting October 2013

Windows Phone 8.1: April-July 2014 (followed by various small fixes)

Update 1: August 2014
Update 2: On new phones, not available officially. Some obtained through Insider, but not meant to be used. Works though.

NOTE: I didn't account for carrier-induced delays. (e.g. AT&T not pushing 8.0 GDR2 + Lumia Amber to the 920 for months, Verizon skipping 8.1 and going straight to 8.1 Update 1...)

However, with 10 on the horizon, things might get turned on their heads.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think I have heard that Blu just got Update 2 and that puts them ahead of a lot of phones. They got Denim very early in the cycle (I think Dec. 27ish, 2014) and that has not come to every phone even yet.

Yes. You are uncoupled from carrier wait. Microsoft hands the updates to Blu. Blu tests and pushes them. So far as I can tell (their track record is short) Blu is very serious about getting in on the Windows Phone market and so they push OTA pretty fast to have a marketing advantage (for instance they have already stated the new LTE line is getting Win 10 Mobile). I had a 1st gen Blu Win HD for a little while and I think any firmware they have on their phones is very light so another reason they can speed updates if they choose.

Derewd

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I think I have heard that Blu just got Update 2 and that puts them ahead of a lot of phones. They got Denim very early in the cycle (I think Dec. 27ish, 2014) and that has not come to every phone even yet.

Yes. You are uncoupled from carrier wait. Microsoft hands the updates to Blu. Blu tests and pushes them. So far as I can tell (their track record is short) Blu is very serious about getting in on the Windows Phone market and so they push OTA pretty fast to have a marketing advantage (for instance they have already stated the new LTE line is getting Win 10 Mobile). I had a 1st gen Blu Win HD for a little while and I think any firmware they have on their phones is very light so another reason they can speed updates if they choose.

Yeah, I actually just received that update this morning. They must have just pushed it out last night.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb