Facebook Connect R.I.P.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if I'm late on this or not but I just got an email from MS saying that because of Facebook making changes to their Graph API, beginning June 9th they're going to stop supporting Facebook Connect. According to the email we can kiss People Hub integration goodbye. Disappointing as MS and the Zuckerbergians had worked closely in the past and I'd have hopes they could've come up with a solution. I had high hopes for the new People Hub in w10.

lordsnow

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
It was posted yesterday on WC.
I'm pretty upset because People integration with Facebook it's just a basic and important part. Having contacts info update was amazing. RIP Windows Phone and its originality.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
If you are on WP8.1 you are not affected, the facebook app takes care of everything, nothing is lost

Win 10 I assume will do the same on all devices it runs on, the FB app will takeover what was integrated into the OS

Mike Dominski

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is a huge reason I hate facebook. If it wasn't for nearly everyone I know using it id drop it for something else. They keep changing their API and it does nothing but completely screw over third party support. Scumbags.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are on WP8.1 you are not affected, the facebook app takes care of everything, nothing is lost

Win 10 I assume will do the same on all devices it runs on, the FB app will takeover what was integrated into the OS
Read the article (read more) doesn't mention windows 10 at all, it has to do with 8.1 - 8 and below and yes it will effect your calendars, people hubs and so on.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Read the article (read more) doesn't mention windows 10 at all, it has to do with 8.1 - 8 and below and yes it will effect your calendars, people hubs and so on.

That's why I had I assume for Windows 10

Perhaps you should read the article more, This does not affect WP8.1
Windows 8/8.1 are affected
WP 7 & 8 are affected

WP8.1 uses the FB app for integration, not OS integration using the API as in WP 7 & 8

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
That's why I had I assume for Windows 10

Perhaps you should read the article more, This does not affect WP8.1
Windows 8/8.1 are affected
WP 7 & 8 are affected

WP8.1 uses the FB app for integration, not OS integration using the API as in WP 7 & 8
I do apologize paulsalter, sometimes I read a little too fast, but anyway this is good for windows phone but I wonder what's next!

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I do apologize paulsalter, sometimes I read a little too fast, but anyway this is good for windows phone but I wonder what's next!

No problem, I don't think this is going to be as bad as it sounds with initial reading
My thoughts are, WP10 will continue as 8.1 with the app doing the work, so shouldn't be any changes here, with universal apps coming to win 10, the same should be true of W10 (desktop) where the app populates calendar/people, so phones/desktop/tablet will all be covered
outlook.com is supposed to be getting add ons sometime soon, so I could see FB doing an add on here that brings the functionality back

I thought at first when FB integration was removed from the OS in WP8.1 it was going to be bad, but I cant say I have really noticed much difference in 8.0 and 8.1, people/calendar still populate with the data

Time will tell, but IMO, I don't see this being much of an issue (unless you are stuck on older OS and cannot upgrade)

Mike Dominski

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The way the email read they make it sound like all of my facebook contacts for the people hub will be removed, the pictures app will no longer show for Facebook albums as an option, and the people hub feed will be worthless, as I have a bunch of single contacts tiles on my start screen I like to see the live tile showing stuff they recently posted. And that will be gone too. I don't see where the confusion is where they said it won't affect 8.1 cuz it states pretty plainly that Facebook is once again changing their API and instead of just working with it ms is saying now that it's a worthless feature anyways so we're losing all of it? Man they are stupid. Just when I was starting to like windows phones again I see this bs.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I want is for the annoying Facebook "f" to get off of my people tile.

It is still there.

Why won't it ever die? Make it voluntary - not mandatory. I hope FB continues to break more and more stuff and no one wants to put it back in. Ever.

Get off of me and leave me alone. Seriously, I hate this about Windows Phone; the constant and sycophantic need to shove Facebook at me as if it makes everything better. It just makes me angry...

grumpy-old-man.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I want is for the annoying Facebook "f" to get off of my people tile.

It is still there.

Why won't it ever die? Make it voluntary - not mandatory. I hope FB continues to break more and more stuff and no one wants to put it back in. Ever.

Get off of me and leave me alone. Seriously, I hate this about Windows Phone; the constant and sycophantic need to shove Facebook at me as if it makes everything better. It just makes me angry...

View attachment 106195
Would you like the dog bone icon that some people got?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 seems to be fine. The real issue is WRT (not a problem for me, but for others) as it won't get a W10 version and for W8.1 on PC because W10 is not necessarily a viable option for touch devices. Is there a third party People App alternative for W8.1 that integrates via the FB app as the Windows one does on WP8.1?

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I hope that those saying that WP8.1 is unaffected are correct. I love the Facebook integration, and even though we took a step backward from wp8 to 8.1, what we still have (had) in 8.1 is extremely useful.

If I was Microsoft, I would have tried to work out an arrangement, even paying for a Microsoft exclusive API. Just look at how this immediately gutted and affected so many of Microsoft's products, and one of our core features of Windows Phone.

Major bummer!!!! :unhappysweat::cry::crying:

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I hope that those saying that WP8.1 is unaffected are correct. I love the Facebook integration, and even though we took a step backward from wp8 to 8.1, what we still have (had) in 8.1 is extremely useful.

If I was Microsoft, I would have tried to work out an arrangement, even paying for a Microsoft exclusive API. Just look at how this immediately gutted and affected so many of Microsoft's products, and one of our core features of Windows Phone.

Major bummer!!!! :unhappysweat::cry::crying:

I think MS maybe knew of this change and this is one of the reasons for the change in WP8.1

Prakeern98_lumia520

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Please help.
I had all my contacts from FACEBOOK and had linked the original contacts to their facebook contacts in my people's hub. This evening, I suddenly realise that all my contacts have vansihed. Can it be because I linked them to facebook, or is their any other reason?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077