Will any current windows phones support everything Windows 10 offers?

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I am looking to buy a new used phone because my 920 is a steaming pile right now. I dont want to buy a brand new phone because im still holding out for the Windows 10 phones coming out sometime this year. In the mean time, i want to get a phone that I can update to W10 when it comes out without missing out on any functionality.

I know some Windows Phones dont support everything the OS offers, so i want to make sure I get one that does. For instance, some Lumias dont support glance because of the type of screen. Some phones dont have a camera button so they lack that feature.

Is there a current WP (im thinking Lumia 1520) that will support all of the new features of the new OS when it comes out? Will the new OS require new hardware in order to support all of the features (new button placements and such)?

Thanks!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I am looking to buy a new used phone because my 920 is a steaming pile right now. I dont want to buy a brand new phone because im still holding out for the Windows 10 phones coming out sometime this year. In the mean time, i want to get a phone that I can update to W10 when it comes out without missing out on any functionality.

I know some Windows Phones dont support everything the OS offers, so i want to make sure I get one that does. For instance, some Lumias dont support glance because of the type of screen. Some phones dont have a camera button so they lack that feature.

Is there a current WP (im thinking Lumia 1520) that will support all of the new features of the new OS when it comes out? Will the new OS require new hardware in order to support all of the features (new button placements and such)?

Thanks!
No, you will need new hardware to access all the Windows Phone features but if you really, really don't care about continuum or infrared scanners then the Lumia 1520 is perfectly fine. Edit: Like the guy said below, go for the 640. The on screen buttons can be hidden and you can access the camera via an action centre shortcut

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My only concern about the 640 is performance. I know you can get them pretty cheap off contract, so thats a plus. My 920 struggles with some games (though they may just be glitchy), so im not expecting much out of the 640. I guess if its only for a few months then its worth it.

I do want continuum, but what are the infrared scanners for?

Thanks!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to appropriate forum... I put it in General Windows Phone Discussion Lounge to get some views and conversation going on this broad topic.

As per this advice: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/292973-who-should-post-ask-question-forum.html WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.

Infrared Scanners will be used for Iris scans to unlock devices. Front Facing camera can also be used for general facial recognition. Demo of unlocking Windows 10 with Windows Hello from Build 2015 | Windows Central

Continuum is absolutely a feature that current hardware will not support.

For a comfortable transition I would say any Sensor Core enabled SoC and 1 GB RAM should work well enough... Obviously the higher the spec the smoother and fuller the transition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb