How does WP stack up against iOS and Android as an OS (so apart from the app gap)

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Found a huge flaw today with the Pixel. Apparently Google assistant can't read text messages at all; not over a wired connection, Bluetooth or speaker phone. I'm ready to return the phone because there's no way I can drive my car without having that feature.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Found a huge flaw today with the Pixel. Apparently Google assistant can't read text messages at all; not over a wired connection, Bluetooth or speaker phone. I'm ready to return the phone because there's no way I can drive my car without having that feature.

Ah that sucks. :/ So what phone will you use now, or should I say, plan to use?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Apparently you can ask it to read you your text messages, see this post by tgp

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Apparently you can ask it to read you your text messages, see this post by tgp
Nope.Not the pixel.
22ce76c726dfba47e55229de262b0f7b.jpg

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hope it's OK to quote here, seems relevant. :)

After a week of having the Google pixel I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. I've officially been team Android, iPhone and Windows phone. Here's how I view them. IPhone is the worst of the bunch, I actually was unaware that Siri on iPhone was so far behind, not having features like automatic package and flight tracking. It's still tied to iTunes and there's a lot of basic features missing. I think of all the mobile os I've used Android is the best but really this is only because of stability. Other than multitasking android so far doesn't do anything my Windows phone didn't already do. It just does it with better apps and much more stability fine tuning. Windows phone may not be popular but overall I still think it could be the best with some touch ups. Cortana is much better than Siri and Google assistant. It can't maintain the topic like Google assistant but it is still the only virtual assistant that does people based reminders. You can type to it and it reads text messages (something android can't seem to do). The default keyboard is much worse in both iOS and Android 7.1. It can be improved but overall I found no option that matched feature for feature to Windows phone. Making the switch I expected the difference between Windows phone and others to be huge but now I see although it's rough around the edges and has little app support the os itself is better a lot of times. On iPhone i open iTunes and play music. On android I can open Google music and play music but on Windows phone I can pin my favorite albums or artist to my home screen. Same for many apps. Times just seem to work better than icons. So far I'm feeling like I may end up back with the same headaches I started with because I still think I can get more work done with those headaches.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Just received my second L650 and if we were to compare initial set up, installing OS updates, updating apps then WP/WM is insanely horrible compared to the competition. Took over 2+ hours to get mine set up and apply the newest update (.576). Then adding to that time we perform a hard reset and attempt to install from backup but “Sorry, no can do", my experience is that this option rarely ever works. Time again ticks off updating apps which usually ends up required several attempts to "get er done". The process is not at all smooth nor is it an "set it and leave it" affair usually requiring several interventions by the user to complete the job.

Don't know about everyone else but IMO, that there alone is enough to turn away any potential WP/WM converts.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Tried this with no luck.
Mr. Lindsay, it sucks that you're finding "fatal" flaws with the Pixel. I've read some of your other posts and I know how frustrating it is when you think you've found a better alternative and it turns out to be not so. Too many in the press, and bloggers too, have made it a point to brainwash the public into thinking Windows Mobile is a dead end OS and to steer clear of it. The random reboots, SD card "unmounts", weird battery life - all contribute to fewer hairs on anybody's head. Hey, I'm running out of real estate so it's critical for me :). My advice is to stay away from the Insider Builds. My Idol 4S has made incredible strides in that Cortana no longer fires up by herself. My SD card has been on its best behavior for about 2 weeks now and the battery life is insane. Add all that up and throw in what we like about Windows Mobile and it's not so bad. Package tracking is a huge deal for me so Cortana fits the bill like no other. Outlook is decidedly better than iOS or Android, the keyboard blows away any stock offering from Apple or Android and the tile customization makes it easier to concentrate on the important stuff.

Yes, the app gap is real and it's a major sticking point for most of us. But when you put everything on the balance, the day-to-day advantages usually tip the scales favorably. It's been a major inconvenience to lose eBay, PayPal, Amazon, BBM and others but it's not like those are more important than the daily workhorses like Outlook, Calendar and Cortana.

I hope you find what you're looking for. You sound like you've been through the wringer.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I just wish Windows 10 mobile ran as beautifully solid as the Pixel does. I swear if Microsoft actually did serious investment in w10m it would be top notch. Instead it feels like Microsoft treats Windows phones the same way Apple treats Macs lol.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's my overall review of the time with the Pixel. I'll most likely be returning it before the weekend is over and going back to my 950. I just bought my first Android phone. Here's what I think. - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Holy wall of text batman! :) It's a nice writeup, and I could see feeling the same if I switched. I'm sticking around until the 128GB Pixel XL drops to $400. In other words, forever. :D

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Holy wall of text batman! :) It's a nice writeup, and I could see feeling the same if I switched. I'm sticking around until the 128GB Pixel XL drops to $400. In other words, forever. :D

Im glad you found it thorough. I didn't even mention how much worse battery life was amidst a few other unnoted issues.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Just received my second L650 and if we were to compare initial set up, installing OS updates, updating apps then WP/WM is insanely horrible compared to the competition. Took over 2+ hours to get mine set up and apply the newest update (.576).

I think that can be a bit of an issue you can't get around though completely regardless of what OS you're using. If you have a company that sells a tremendous amount of phones then I'm guessing it'll be more likely that you're getting a phone that just off whatever "manufacturing line" the company uses more recently. And with more recent construction etc I'm also guessing the manufacturer will have had time to update the OS. So in other words, if MS produced X amount of phones and sold fewer than expected, then when we're buying them much later there's more for the phone to update.

So I think that's a two-sided coin in that first of all MS said it's treating W10 as a service, where we're getting more frequent updates that include more features rather than fewer larger updates, and so along with that comes more volume in the actual updates. That's a bad thing if the phone has a lot of catching up to do, but it's a good thing once you're caught up assuming the updates are solid, because you get frequent security updates, bug fixes and new features.

When I got my Lumia 950 it took a while to get it up to date, but once it was updated it's been more than fine, and it's gotten better with each update.

And for the future the incremental updates should alleviate this, if I understand it correctly.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I think that can be a bit of an issue you can't get around though completely regardless of what OS you're using. If you have a company that sells a tremendous amount of phones then I'm guessing it'll be more likely that you're getting a phone that just off whatever "manufacturing line" the company uses more recently. And with more recent construction etc I'm also guessing the manufacturer will have had time to update the OS. So in other words, if MS produced X amount of phones and sold fewer than expected, then when we're buying them much later there's more for the phone to update.

So I think that's a two-sided coin in that first of all MS said it's treating W10 as a service, where we're getting more frequent updates that include more features rather than fewer larger updates, and so along with that comes more volume in the actual updates. That's a bad thing if the phone has a lot of catching up to do, but it's a good thing once you're caught up assuming the updates are solid, because you get frequent security updates, bug fixes and new features.

When I got my Lumia 950 it took a while to get it up to date, but once it was updated it's been more than fine, and it's gotten better with each update.

And for the future the incremental updates should alleviate this, if I understand it correctly.

It has nothing to do with the amount of updates but rather how they are implemented, MS approach is severely flawed, time consuming, and requiring way too much intervention from the user. Never thought I'd see a day when their phones took on the same traits as PCs but it has.

Initial setup and applying 1 update should not take 2+ hours. This DOES NOT include one iota of personalization like tweaking settings, adding accounts, installing our own apps and so on, you know, the part that you'd think would take the longest but of course that is personal taste dependant. In the midst of all that you're constantly notified and required to do so... "your language was just updated, a restart is required", "Glance was just updated, a restart is required", blah blah blah. Sorry, to me that is not advancements in technology in that the process should become faster, more fluid and less painless for the user, MS obviously missed that memo.

Then we get to the store, yup the store. Updating JUST the pre-installed apps, for me, took several interventions just to get the ball rolling. It took forever for the downloads to initiate, forever to complete, then with more time being spend intervening again because errors during the download process were encountered.

Been through above scenarios with WP/WM enough times to know it is not a one-off affair and not relegated to just my part of the world.

Then we compare our old 650 to the new, same builds with only 27 days separating the two, apps that WERE there are no longer and settings menu IS NOT the same. Goes for my 830 running SAME build, different in many ways including areas described. That's what I mean about consistency, MS can't keep things on an even keel which really can be frustrating at times. Just as they "changed direction" in regards to the platform/OS they continue to do so on a regular basis at every turn, that to me indicates they haven't a clue what direction they are headed in. :confused:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I just wish Windows 10 mobile ran as beautifully solid as the Pixel does. I swear if Microsoft actually did serious investment in w10m it would be top notch. Instead it feels like Microsoft treats Windows phones the same way Apple treats Macs lol.

Read the front page article on this site today about Windows in 2017. Reading between the lines, it says that development for WM is going in a different direction adding more and more embedded ARM capabilities. I think that the present WM 10 is being beefed up to fix some problems with the new direction in mind. Just my 2 cents. Don't give up.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Been through above scenarios with WP/WM enough times to know it is not a one-off affair and not relegated to just my part of the world.

Then we compare our old 650 to the new, same builds with only 27 days separating the two, apps that WERE there are no longer and settings menu IS NOT the same. Goes for my 830 running SAME build, different in many ways including areas described. That's what I mean about consistency, MS can't keep things on an even keel which really can be frustrating at times. Just as they "changed direction" in regards to the platform/OS they continue to do so on a regular basis at every turn, that to me indicates they haven't a clue what direction they are headed in. :confused:

So perhaps it's dependent on what phone you're using then? Because as I said, the only time updating my phone was a big process was when I first got it. It took a long time and required several restarts. To me that indicates the problem I described. After I got up to date it's been smooth, including the last one.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but every Android I've had has required a longer time to do its initial updates than any OS. At least Windows updates 2 apps at a time unlike Android which does them one at a time. Also, I never restart every time I'm asked to. I do all my updates and reboot once. Secondly, there's only so much you can ask from a device with only 1GB of RAM. It'll work, but it needs more time. A Kia Soul will run the 1/4 mile, but not as fast as a Corvette. You get what you pay for.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry but every Android I've had has required a longer time to do its initial updates than any OS. At least Windows updates 2 apps at a time unlike Android which does them one at a time. Also, I never restart every time I'm asked to. I do all my updates and reboot once. Secondly, there's only so much you can ask from a device with only 1GB of RAM. It'll work, but it needs more time. A Kia Soul will run the 1/4 mile, but not as fast as a Corvette. You get what you pay for.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

That hasn't been anywhere near MY experience unless we're talking about the BlackBerry Playbook :eck: Do have a few Android/iOS devices with 1GB (or less) of RAM with applying updates/updating apps being a far different outcome for me over WP/WM, less time and the least amount of user input.

Updates 2 apps! My Android/iOS devices can have 5 apps updated in the time it takes just to initiate the process on WP/WM, seriously it's pathetic. If it has come down to needing a higher-end CPU and more ram to accomplish this feat alone then something ain't right here.

I'm fully aware something less powerful will struggle more than the higher end, but if I'm seeing similar traits playing out on a W10 PC w/i7/8GB RAM/SSD then something tells me MS got things a little askew, on both mobile and PC, as to the proper way to implement updates... Guess though in this instance, since we got the upgrade to W10 for free, we get what we DIDN'T pay for, here too. :winktongue:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte