What's your DREAM Windows Phone look like?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
What does your DREAM Windows Phone look like? Size, battery life, specs, etc... if you could grab any manufacturer and tell them 'make this', what would you tell them to do?? :)

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
An upgraded Lumia 1520 ... in Midnite Blue pearl (eliminate need for case by adding grip/bumper to sides w lip to protect glass)
size - eliminate some bezel to make it smaller w 6" screen
battery life - this was the KING of battery life, though my battery is on it's last legs.
3GB RAM, 32GB ROM w microSD slot
Snapdragon 835 processor
Lumia type Camera
Tap to Pay (NFC onboard)
Fingerprint sensor (on back)
Gorilla Glass 4 (or something more shatter resistant)

somehow subsidize it (for adoption) to $499. USD ... I'd be a happy man.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I would tell them to make a Windows phone version of the iPhone SE. Maybe like 4.5-4.7" screen size, a battery efficient processor. It should be able to go on a charge for 1.5 days, with good cameras on the front and back. Pocket friendly, especially for those of us with pants/jeans with "fake" pockets.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. As I get older I find myself gravitating to smaller phones for some reason. Only problem is I dig the battery life and screen size on the 'plus' sized phones of today. Such a hard trade off!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
An upgraded Lumia 1520 ... in Midnite Blue pearl (eliminate need for case by adding grip/bumper to sides w lip to protect glass)

Ditto... Add an internal frame to better stiffen the polycarb unibody. I don't mind a big phone having some heft, but the flex was definitely an issue.

64GB internal, not 32 and keep the Qi, type-C naturally. Yes to Blue Pearl, but also keep the color options open.

1520 is still the all-around champ, IMHO, and worth revisioning/updating.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Idol 4S is a great device. I've not used an Elite X3 so I can not say...

While the Idol 4S has a lot going for it:
  • Great display
  • Great looks
  • Fast and smooth power under the hood
  • Generous storage + fast SD slot
  • Quick charge
  • Type-C
  • Continuum
  • Hello, via fingerprint
  • VR Ready including custom fit headset
It is missing some common amenities as well as Lumia touches that Microsoft seems to be holding in reserve:
  • PureView camera
  • Glance
  • ClearBlack polarization filter
  • EQ
  • Color and Brightness Profiles
  • NFC (thus, Tap-to-Pay)
  • Qi wireless charging
And while I have no complaints about the battery endurance of my Idol 4S, it isn't quite in the elite league that 1520 was in. That thing was a marathon runner of Kipchoge quality.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Idol 4S is a great device. I've not used an Elite X3 so I can not say...

While the Idol 4S has a lot going for it:
  • Great display
  • Great looks
  • Fast and smooth power under the hood
  • Generous storage + fast SD slot
  • Quick charge
  • Type-C
  • Continuum
  • Hello, via fingerprint
  • VR Ready including custom fit headset
It is missing some common amenities as well as Lumia touches that Microsoft seems to be holding in reserve:
  • PureView camera
  • Glance
  • ClearBlack polarization filter
  • EQ
  • Color and Brightness Profiles
  • NFC (thus, Tap-to-Pay)
  • Qi wireless charging
And while I have no complaints about the battery endurance of my Idol 4S, it isn't quite in the elite league that 1520 was in. That thing was a marathon runner of Kipchoge quality.

Idol5s?

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
A five point seven inch phone that looks exactly like the Lumia 925 built by those dummies at Sony.

• 16 MP back camera with an F1.6 dual lens 3 LED flash
  • 13 MP front camera F1.9 with built in LED flash
  • Snapdragon 821 @2.3
  • 4GB of DDR4 RAM
  • 3500MAH battery with 3.0 fastcharge
  • Amoled 2K screen
  • USB C 3.0 OTG enabled
  • IR blaster with a functioning app
  • Audio DAC
  • Fast response multi-function finger print sensor
  • Applicable accessories by the manufacturer

$499.00 USD

Mihai N

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Updated version of the Lumia 1520 with AMOLED 2K display, 4000mAh+ battery, improved L950 camera with bigger sensor and at least f/1.7 aperture, SD821 or SD835 chipset, NFC and Qi. Or consumer version of the Elite X3 with more premium build, NFC and improved licensed camera from Microsoft as presented above.

They can be two versions of the same model, one having removable battery and an array of colorful back covers(SD821variant), and the other would be the premium/pro version with metal and glas(SD835 variant). It should be plenty for the market until MS brings the new mobile category device

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. But what's your take on the HP Elite x3 and Alcatel Idol 4S?

Each has their strengths & weaknesses ...

There seems to be grassroots support for the Lumia 1520 (obviously modernized per other posts) -
I personally LUV'D that phone & would still be using it, if not for the internal battery (it's going, going ....),
it ticked a lot of boxes.

and DEFINITELY wireless charging ...

and $499. seems to be the sweet spot for pricing (I can dream)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I think the Idol4s is darned close .
Move the camera button because I accidentally hit it too often.
Maybe a removable battery but battery life is very good, so not a necessity.
QI charging would be nice.
I don't have a need for NFC but throw it in for others if you want.
I know the camera can be better.
That's about it.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Specs are good and all. But I would like some style, and I feel that phones were a lot more stylish ten years ago, as opposed to phones of today, which are largely identical. Even smartphones of the day, like the HTC Touch Pro or the original Sony-Ericsson Xperias (incidentally WM6 devices), all looked, if nothing else, unique.

Obviously larger screens, say 5.5"-6", and with the magic of imagination, much thinner. Put the new hardware (camera, chips, battery, EVERYTHING) and OS into one of those beauties and you have a real beast... or at least I do.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
microsoft_surface_phone_8_by_yronimus-d54trfa.jpg

It would look incredibly similar to this popular Surface Phone mockup (I'd love to have the capacitive buttons back, but know that onscreen's just how things are going).
  • Snapdragon 835
  • 6GB RAM
  • 64-256GB Storage (And without using this as an excuse to jip on an expansion slot)
  • 5.7in 1440p Display with ClearBlack IPS (don't they dare let OLED anywhere near this)
  • Same 41MP camera from the 1020, but faster + integrated ring adapter for professional-grade hot-swappable lenses
  • Dual front facing speakers (work with HK, B&O or Dolby on this)
  • No crappy beta-numeric sounding names as have marred WP's history, it should simply be called the "Surface Phone"
  • As the "Surface Phone" taking notes with the same pen through OneNote should be absolutely possible.
  • Same Build quality and VaporMG the Surface line is known for

So pretty much what the 950XL would be if it had the super-low-temp high battery longevity ClearBlack IPS brought to the Lumia 635, the optics of the 1020 and the build quality of the 650 + plus some other modernizations.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I always loved the look and feel of the Sony Xperia Z Ultra. I would love Sony to update that phone with W10M, a much better camera, and a much bigger battery. Gotta have double tap to wake too, fingerprint reader, etc, etc. Pretty much needs all the bells and whistles mentioned by others above.
Price?? I'd pay $500 for that. I look at the Nexus 6P as my price comparison. That phone was/is a high-end phone, and was sold for a very reasonable price. If Huawei can do that, Sony can too.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Wish Lenovo would jump on Windows phone.
They make kind of way out unpopular stuff that US users don't like so why not attack the US with WM phones.

WM in the US is perfect for Lenovo's screwy business model is it not?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb